Ot - 9/11

Old 09-11-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ot - 9/11

Hello dear friends,

I always get melancholy this time of year when 9/11 rolls around. I was working a few blocks away on 9/11/01 from ground zero. I know people that perished there. I know people whose family members died that day. I saw how many lives were ruined till this day they have never been the same due to losing a loved one.

I almost took a job in that building. I used to to take the subway through there every day at around that time in my previous job. I was spared.

I remember seeing everything in front of me like it was a horrible movie or a bad dream. I remember being frantic and not knowing how to get out of the city and get home. I remember walking for miles trying to catch the ferry. I remember stopping at a church and weeping with all the others. I remember feeling so helpless since the cell phones were down and I couldnt reach my family and even my stbxah. I remember being in shock. I remember everyone else being in shock. I remember the erie silence. I remember watching the first tower fall as I embraced strangers and we cried together. I remember someone telling me there were 10 thousand people who worked in those towers and that it had its own zip code. I remember the lady next to me that actually worked there and had a little girl at home and how she was advised to stay in the building for safety reasons but she chose not too. I remember thinking how this could all happen when it was the most beautiful day in the city. I remember not getting home until 10pm that night and I remember not being able to sleep for months. I have never visited ground zero and I probably never will.

On this day, I would like to acknowledge the loss and I would like to be grateful for what I have. Even though I am getting divorced and facing many issues, I am still alive.

What are you grateful for today?

Hugs

Lulu
Old 09-11-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behind the Red Door

lulu, I've had the tv on the History channel since I got up this morning. I'll never forget the fear that I experienced. My office mates and I were watching on the big screen in the conference room after the first plane hit. I watched as the second plane hit. My little girl, who is now an addict, was in high school. I couldn't get to the school fast enough. I grabbed her and we went home. I turned the tv on again, to make sure that I knew what was going on, so I'd know if we had to evacuate or...what? I don't know. I just knew I had to be informed.

I think our entire country was traumatized that day, and brought closer together.

My heart goes out to all who lost loved ones that day.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In Memoriam

God bless
Old 09-11-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

911 still brings tears to my eyes. I lost many business associates and friends to that senseless act of terror.

For over 20 years I attended to business in those towers. There were many conversations about those elevators that ran up and down the center of the buildings, I listened, yet never really thought much about it. Seems in the end, the elevators were a design flaw.

Today, I grieve the loss of my friends, and, I am grateful that they shared their life with me.
I am truely blessed.