Notices

Newbie: 5 Days Sober

Old 09-10-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie: 5 Days Sober

Just found this forum last week when I was having severe withdrawal symptoms.

In the past I've had two alcohol related accidents where I've ended up being hospitalized. I tried quitting after the second but it ended in disaster.

I'm mainly a weekend drinker with the odd weeknight thrown in. On the weekends, the amount of drink is serious. I'd drink on a Friday night, all through the day on Saturday and all through the day on Sunday.

The withdrawal symptoms last week were amongst the worst ever. I didn't work on Monday and lay in the house in sweats. On Tuesday, I went to work and had to go home half way through the day to change my shirt as it was drenched. On Wednesday, I was still sweating. I didn't need to go home but I was afraid to go to the canteen for coffee because both the crowd and the coffee would increase the sweatiness. If this continues, I'll be the sweaty, anti-social person in the office.

I'm a very hygenic person in normal circumstances and am very paranoid when not feeling or looking hygenic (hense the going home to change the shirt). I don't want to be the person in the office that's sweating all the time and, also, I've seen a photo of how I look in a club when extremely drunk - that can't be attractive to women.

Last night, I was supposed to be going out with friends. I intended to go but not drink all day. Then, in the evening, I decided that I'd have a few. On my way to the club, I turned the car and went home. I was a happy man this morning.

Tonight is Friday night and I'm sitting in the house. I'm worried about tomorrow night so will have to come up with something to do.

I joined a gym today (and realized how unfit I am on the threadmill). I'm hoping that, with improvements in the fitness, I'll be more motivated to stay off the alcohol.

For me, the 5 days sober isn't really an accomplishment because I'm not usually a weekday drinker. The withdrawal symptoms this week were a task - and one which I hope to never repeat again.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.....

Did you notice how rank you smelled when you were de toxing?
The skin is useful for ridding yourself of toxins.
Ergo....the sweats and odor are not unusual.

Good to see a new member....keep posting please
Many of us are winning over alcohol....
Old 09-10-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congrats on 5 days sober...even if you do it all the time, it's still nice to have 5 days!

Regarding sweating...Alcohol sweat is truly awful. Since getting sober, I've become very sensitive to the way people smell. I swear a lot of people smell like booze and i turns me off big time! Just adding a little motivation:-)
Old 09-10-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well every day not drinking is still a well spent day even if you say you wouldn't have drank anyway. You should also pat yourself on the back for getting through the withdrawal and not caving.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi itsabouttime

Welcome

yeah the sweats are pretty common, but it should start to get better any time now if my experience is any guide.

See your Dr if you're worried about it or if you think it'd gone on for too long.

See you round the boards
D
Old 09-10-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile

welcome itsaboutime! good to have you with us!
Old 09-10-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there,
I just joined this forum today for different reason but who all end up the same. So far, i've been clear for a big 2 day now which is already a step for me.

Stay strong my friend and i know it will be difficult but you have to focus on the beautiful new life you'll have. 5 days is an accomplishment and you should be proud.
I think the gym is an excellent idea and i will join too in few days.

Keep in touch for the coming weekend. Feel free to message me for anything if you need help. Hope to get as strong as you and reach the 5th day.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To go or not to go!!!

There's a family 50th party on tonight and I'm on two minds whether to go or not.

I'm thinking about staying away but I don't want my abstinence to make me anti-social. The party is about 30 mile away so a second option I'm considering is driving up and, should I be tempted to drink, hop in the car and drive straight home. It's tough times :-(

Another consideration is friends who always try to tempt you into having one. I'm thinking that if I drive and tell them that the first time they ask me to have one, I'm driving back home and then I follow through if they ask, it'll be a good thing. The reasoning behind this is that they'll know after a few times not to ask. The other option is to try let willpower do the work and keep saying no.

It's very tough deciding what to do during the initial stages of abstinence.

On another note, I was in the gym a few years ago but gave that up. Gyms always have Personal Trainers for which you can book sessions. I've never bothered them before but think it may be a good idea to book a session every couple of weeks. In trying to motivate me to get fitter, he should end up unknowingly motivating me to keep of the drink - so the benefits will be two-fold. Don't know whether this makes sense or not but it makes a little to me.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Welcome, and congrats on 5 days sober...even if you do it all the time, it's still nice to have 5 days!

Regarding sweating...Alcohol sweat is truly awful. Since getting sober, I've become very sensitive to the way people smell. I swear a lot of people smell like booze and i turns me off big time! Just adding a little motivation:-)
That is truly motivating. :-) I always think it's paranoia but the alcohol sweats must be disgusting to non-alcoholics....
Old 09-11-2010, 04:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
hi itsabouttime

Welcome

yeah the sweats are pretty common, but it should start to get better any time now if my experience is any guide.

See your Dr if you're worried about it or if you think it'd gone on for too long.

See you round the boards
D
Thanks Dee. It's day 6 now and they're completely gone. I just hope this weekend goes well so I don't have a similar week at work next week.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR and congrats on your six days! That's a great start to a better sober life.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

to SR... you will love hanging out here... everyone is supportive, friendly, understanding and full of wisdom.

Sweats in early detox are horrible... I had to change my big t-shirt three times in the middle of the night... YUK. But, like you after 5 days, it was gone.

It is too bad you are faced with the decision as to whether you go to the 50th anniversary or not... and what will you do when you are faced with others drinking. Taking your vehicle may be the answer, that will let you leave early easily and you will be making an appearance. I don't know how close these family members are, but you could always make an excuse as to why you wouldn't be able to attend.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out wonderful. Thanks for your post!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Great job on 6 days! As far as the party, can you grab a cup and put something in it that looks like a drink? That way noone will pester you, and you will be in control. I've done that. Put cranberry juice in a cup and didnt add the vodka. I've even been to a club and asked them to put red bull in a glass with ice so it looks like a drink. I used the same bartender everytime, and told him once when I was getting a drink alone that even if I asked for one with vodka, it was because I was with someone and didn't want to appear that I wasnt drinking, so don't put any in. Sounds like a hassle, but it got me through the evening, no questions asked!!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you can't see any way out of opting out, definitely take your car IWBWI.

Use the fact you're driving...and get in and drive away if you feel the situation is getting on top of you.

D
Old 09-15-2010, 11:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Relapsed - Shamed and Annoyed

Well, I relapsed at the party last Saturday and it turned into a Sunday event and a couple more on Monday.

I woke up on Tuesday feeling very annoyed with how the weekend turned out.

I've decided to hop back on the bandwagon and continue as planned.

My withdrawal symptoms aren't as bad this week so I managed to go ahead with the gym plan. I joined the gym today and went for a run on the threadmill and a cycle as well.

I've got my gym induction tomorrow and plan to get a good plan in place to improve my fitness. I want to loose 28 pound or so by doing a lot of cardio and improving my diet (the diet's always bad when you're drinking). I hope to achieve this by the end of the year. I then plan to start weightlifting.

Again, this all depends on my alcohol consumption. I know after the past weekend that my willpower is very low - at least for the first weekend. Therefore, I'm going to avoid social situations involving drink until at least I'm noticing visible differences in my fitness levels. I know it's going to be tough but also know that, if I don't do this now, I could still be in this position in 5 years.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank, but I hope you can learn from the experience and use it next time.

D
Old 09-16-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Gym Induction Complete

Well, I went to my Gym Induction today. I think I'm going to go 5 days a week - 3 days cardio, 2 days weights.

I weighed myself and am 85 kilos so I think 75 kilos would be a good target to aim for and I'd like to achieve this by November 30th (I think having a target and timeline like this should help me stay sober).

My gym also has a swimming pool which is included in the membership. I'll probably consider using this any Saturday when I'm bored (a lot of hours to fill when you're not hungover).

That's the plan anyway. I'll continue to lurk around here and post occassionaly as well.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Behind the Red Door

Originally Posted by itsaboutime View Post

I've decided to hop back on the bandwagon and continue as planned.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Sounds like a good substitute to help pass the time and feel good about yourself. I know the weekends are the hardest, but each weekend you don't drink will make it a little easier the next time. Finding some sober activities/friends will be really helpful. And we're always here to listen!