Notices

Newbie Here

Old 09-09-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Here

Hello everyone!

Been lurking on these boards for probably over a year, much like alot of folks just reading and learning. Contemplating how to handle the drinking or even if I could stop or deal with it. Heres my brief story:

Sometime around 2004 or 2005 (sucks to not really remember), my occasional drinks of beer started to grow until it was lunchtime drinks. Then over time, it grew again to get a tall boy or two in the mornings before going to work. One day I found myself in this routine of getting those big cans every single morning, each lunchtime, and after work. I hid it and drank alone in the car, spending that gas money driving around to keep that buzz and feel guilty sometimes and other times just content. I tried a year ago to quit, but found out that just trying doesn't really cut it, does it?

Yeah, I kept promising people I loved and knew that I had quit. Everyone believed me but the shame of continuing something I didn't want to do anymore just ate slowly away at me. Amazing how alcohol is a tricky little thing.......more like a giant. Imposing, deceiving, promises to be your best friend in the worlde, yet robs your health, checkbook, and very spirit right underneath your nose.

I'm smiling today because on September 1st I went to my church for a Celebrate Recovery meeting. Most of August had flown by and I drove past that building over and over seeing the meetings advertised. I got the courage to go that night and for once decided instead of trying i'm giving myself up to God but didn't expect for Him to do it alone. I needed to be equipped as well to fight this giant.

I'm proud today to say that I am working on Day #9!!!

The first couple days were mild detoxing - amazingly enough. With this board as a tool I knew what to expect and still know that each day is a unique battle that I must fight. I just wanna say something about 'working' each day. It's amazing how hard I 'worked' to drink - to hide it - to find money to spend on it - how mentally exhausting it can be. Even though I feel so much clearer and better on my 9th day the work I used to put in to drinking is the same amount I put in to abstaining and working my plans to stay sober. It's really the same amount of work (effort), but for a much better cause!!

So, hello everyone - i'm glad to be here today and I'm even more happier to spill my guts and share with you all!!
Old 09-09-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome former lurker to the posting side....keep at it and it will help....it has for me (30 days).
Old 09-09-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR leo
Congratulations on your 9 days

D
Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome to SR, and great job on your 9 days! You inspire me to try meetings!!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on your sober start.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and grats!

Old 09-09-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome. Keep posting and spilling your guts!

I'm on day 9 too.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story Leo. You have good reason to say you are proud to say you have been sober for 9 days-- that is a great achievement.

I, too, drank in the morning and continued throughout the day... dealing with physical and mental problems (anxiety). It feels so much better to be in recovery. One day at a time is what I find to be the best way to get through the day.

Keep up the great work and let us know your progress. You will love SR, everyone here is very friendly, supportive and you will find great inspirational stories.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Leo!

I'm glad you decided to join us and post.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, Leo! If you hang around long enough, you just can't help but want to join up! That happened with me - I spent about a month here, drinking and reading, before I got up the nerve to commit. Really glad I did!

Congratulations on day 9 - that's a great start! Hope to see you around more.:ghug3
Old 09-09-2010, 10:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations ....

Welcome to the sharing side of our recovery community
Old 09-10-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you everyone for the warm welcome! This place is awesome and I know without a doubt, after lurking around for such a long time that there is much love, support, and kindness here.

The thing I also like is folks also aren't afraid to 'tell it like it is'. Sometimes we need those wake up calls and be firmly but lovingly steered back in the right direction.

This morning I dropped off the kids and started to head for the office. On the way there I watched the edges of the rising sun mix in with low clouds and smiled to myself. The pastel colors streaking across the landscape. The bright green trees and birds flying around. Hmmm........made me thankful for seeing the day through clear eyes and a grateful heart. Think it's time to hang out here and grab a coke, settle down at work and enjoy my new friends! Here's to day 10 for me and wishes for success on whatever day you folks are working on as well.