Notices

Trying to Move Forward

Old 09-07-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Trying to Move Forward

Hi Everyone. Im pretty new to this site but the support here seems amazing and it is a great tool when I need a reminder why I am choosing to stay away from all mind altering substances. I have come to realize that when I drink alcohol (most of the times not all) I do lose control and usually end up doing other substances, spending all my money, and doing things I always regret. The problem is that I feel so guilty for the things I have done that it creates a lot of anxiety within me. I know deep down inside I am a good person with good intentions but I am scared that after all the things I have done I will never be able to feel like the person I used to be before substances. Has anyone here ever felt this and have they been able to overcome this?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!

Anxiety and alcohol go hand in hand, it's a viscous cycle...I drink because I'm anxious and I'm anxious because I drink. You need to break the cycle, once you have some sober time under your belt, the anxiety usually fades.

I know you are a good person, we all are, and if you did bad things the only way to feel better about it is to get better, stop using/drinking, and get whatever help you feel you need to do that:-)
Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hi and welcome! We have ALL felt anxiety over things we have done in the past. I'm sure there isn't a person on here who doesn't regret some decision they've made in the past, but ya know what? All you can do is try to prevent yourself from those kinds of actions in the future, which means stay sober! You can apologize for the past, but you can't change it. I'm sure you are a very good person, and your apologies would be well received. Focus on your future. Take one day at a time, and know that the sooner you get on track with your sobriety, the sooner you can start making some positive changes.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Julez and LaFemme. Sometimes its great to just get a reminder we are not alone in this. Im definitley not having a drink and going to focus on just making better decisions from this moment on. No more regrets!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi and welcome, NLB! I like your name - it says it all. I think if we try to stay focused on the positives and take it a day at a time, we'll learn to live again in a new way. Everyone of us has regrets, for sure, so you're definitely not alone!

Keep reading and posting - it's made all the difference for me!:ghug3
Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are here ...Welcome to our recovery community

I know I had a lot of remorse for things I did as a drinker.
That was removed when I did my AA Steps

I sure hope you find your way into peace and healing.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HI nlb,

Your name says alot, there's a time and place to look back and during early recovery, it can be a stumbling block. I was told instead to focus on today, and do the best I can with today, and leave the past alone till I could deal with it without stumbling over it. That makes sense to me, and as I continue to move forward while dealing with the past as it becomes necessary, I've found I'm becoming a better person than I was before I began escaping life with drugs and alcohol. I believe if you continue your recovery, you too will become better than anytime before and will grow from the experiences you have. That's a powerful asset to share with others, so your path thus far has not been in vain.