Notices

My name is Chris and I'm an alcoholic

Old 09-07-2010, 02:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My name is Chris and I'm an alcoholic

First off, I am so glad I found this Forum. I just might hang out here a lot. Not sure if this fits the topic title, because this is my second time getting sober. I'm on Day 4 now and doing good thanks to medical supervision, noyt to say the first 2 days weren't a mess. Literally.

Back on May 1, 2007, my room mate found me curled up in a ball, unconcious on the floor of my room. I had been drinking heavy for about a year, sometimes as much as a 759ml a day, half that just to function. I refused to see I had a problem, it was normal for me. Then I got the shakes in my hands if I didn't have a drink every 4 hours. Then , I could hardly walk and if I fell, I couldn't stand up without help.

Woke up in ICU with these 2 plastic tubes coming out of my chest, hooked up to this kidney machine. Worst 2 weeks of my in that hospital, then they sent me to a care home for 4 more weeks. But, after only 3 weeks in the care home, God gave me my kidneys back. So they took out the tubes and sent me home. By then I could kind-of walk but I still had a walker. Useless for up and down stars, tho. I was finally back to work in another month.

Started going to an NA meeting nearby, great supportive bunch of people. Had 2 years sober, then the place we held the meetings at closed, and nothing else in my are close enough or in my time frame (yeah, no excuse)

Managed to hang on until last January. On vacation, family having some wine at dinner. I thought "I can handle that" And I was fine after coming home. For a while. Then I thought "well, wine should be OK" You see where I'm going with this, right. I made a Post in the "Recovery: How Did You Do It "Thread that picks up from here.

Anyways, glad to have found this place. Chris
Old 09-07-2010, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hi Chris. Congrats on day 4. I'm so happy that you are detoxing under medical supervision. Welcome to SR. I hope you do hang out here alot. I think you'll really like it. Have you picked up and gone to any meetings yet? Are you planning to?

Glad to have ya!!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Chris. Welcome aboard.

I read your other posts and can relate what you are going through. I have been there a few times myself. I know it sucks, but the good thing about it is that you will never have to sober up again if you stay away from that first drink.

At least you have Haagen Das Frozen Yogurt to help you through. That is some good stuff.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chris,

Welcome!

I'm glad you've talked to your dr and being taken care of medically.

I hope you keep reading and posting here, because there is lots of support.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 4 days and on making the decision to get sober again. It's amazing how our minds can play tricks on us, isn't it?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Chris. Welcome.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Hi Chris and welcome to the SR family .. I like your screen name btw .. its catchy cute

Anyways .. were so glad your here , its a great place with lots of support , theres a chatroom as well do stop in and say hi , I too and very glad your getting medical attention to detox properly, so many can learn from that post alone on here , It makes life a lil easier and a whole lot safer .
Someone wasnt ready for you apparently and gave you a 2nd chance in life ( kidneys ) your truly a lucky. and its good that your seeing things as they are b4 it gets to that dangerous point again . Do seek out the meetings again , Im sure there are others in your area who fell the same way bout not having one locally , perhaps a carpool to make one mite be a good thing .. we do have recovery meetings here as well in SR , theres a schedule in the chatroom/chat discussion forums . hope to see you there . and again welcome and awesome on day 4 . as you knowit will and does get better with each passing day . Huggles Endzy
Old 09-07-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats that god gave you your kidneys back. There are alot of really cool people on here.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome to sr.i find it a very useful tool in my recovery.
i hope you get back to meetings.
i am sober today through the 12 step programme of alcoholics anonymous.
i tried every other way immaginable,its the only thing that worked for this hopeless,helpless alki.
welcome again.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome chris!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Striving to be a better Man!

Welcome to Sr! Lots of great people and resources here!