Notices

13TH stepping ?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

13TH stepping ?

Why does AA frown so hard on people in AA dating other? I go to AA sometimes. I still drink and so far the only thing I have got out of it is a few dates. I'm currantly on a waiting list for rehab.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you want my opinion?

it is because of what you are doing that makes AA caution against dating in meetings. AA doesn't discourage dating so much, but waiting until you have some sober time under your belt

You could be messing with someone else's sobriety by dating others from meetings while you are still drinking.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Real 13th stepping are old timers (usually men) who hit on newcomers (usually pretty, young women). Get the picture?
People who engage in 13th stepping are predators, and should be avoided.

But dating in AA, I'd say best done after you've been in the program for awhile, like a year and you've changed and grown a bit.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

in my area some of the different meetings are kind of Clicky Already and if i "Dated" someone at A.A. it Could Make it go From Clicky to Weird Real Fast! i Try To Remember the #1 Reason i Attend meetings.. Sorry about my Spelling! Cliquey* is the Proper Spelling!!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are there to get sober , going on multiple dates with people tells me you haven't been keeping your focus . Of course we are all human but what's more important another temporary fling with someone who has as many issues as you do or getting yourself together?

Sobriety to me is a completely selfish goal and getting caught up with someone and all of their baggage is just a distraction. Not too mention all of those emotional high's and lows when you are already a wreck from being an active addict.

Being an addict leads to suffering, misery , and often times death. It's understandable people get upset when they see people pissing away an opportunity or not taking it seriously enough. Remember why you are there.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

What you are talking about isn't "13th stepping" but it IS inappropriate.

You might try listening in meetings instead of scoping out "prospects". I suspect that's part of the reason you haven't "gotten anything out" of AA so far.

The reason most people in AA (AA takes no official position on this) recommend not getting involved in relationships until you've got some solid recovery is (a) you are not the same person now that you will be once you've recovered, (b) you need to concentrate on your recovery rather than on a new relationship, and (c) dating tends to create emotional reactions that can interfere with early sobriety.

Not to mention that, as has been pointed out, you could be messing with someone else's sobriety if they are fairly new to recovery.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is only twelve steps.

Its just something else to confuse the newcomer.

There are people in AA that fall in love.......nothing wrong with that, if its healthy......i know plenty whom are in long term relationships whom met in the rooms.

Then there are those people that love a to focus on weak newcomers...especially the pretty ones......best way to deal with them...er.
begins with "f" and ends in off..

you said you got nothing out of AA............well what did you expect to get out of meetings??..........Id be interested to know.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I'd feel bad for anyone who can't do better than go to AA meetings to pick up chicks.

The joke's on you, pal.

We already know how we are.

We even have a cliche' for that one too :

"The odds are good ... the goods are odd."

It's also a great place to get yourself a very real case of Hep-C.

There's another southern saying goes something like:

"Don't play with that, boy, you don't know where it's been."

Wake Up is right - that's flat out predatorial.

And far worse than any alcoholic in their disease.

I hope you get some real help soon.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I still drink and so far the only thing I have got out of it is a few dates
Well, it sounds like the program isn't working for you....maybe you should try something else?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Having never been to an AA meeting, take this with a grain of salt. But I am finding that the newly sober are very vulnerable. The prospect of someone scooping me up and solving my problems does not sound to bad to me right now. I could see a BDSM type of power exchange being incredibly seductive and damaging at the same time to the newly sober. Gosh if we were not people vulnerable to our passions, we probably would not be here.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not the one that hits on the men. And the two I did go out with I already knew from other places. They just happen to ask me out at AA. One of them didn't have a drinking problem and was court ordered. The other one has been in for along time and is very active in AA. I don't scope out the men. I can do that at the gym. I do listen. I actually prefer the all ladies meeting. I just don't care for sharing part.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
Well, it sounds like the program isn't working for you....maybe you should try something else?
Or perhaps try the program of AA......
Old 09-06-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i dont know where they find the energy anyhow.........
Old 09-06-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mrs

[QUOTE=tribal1969;2700981]Why does AA frown so hard on people in AA dating other? I go to AA sometimes. I still drink and so far the only thing I have got out of it is a few dates.I'M CURRANTLY WAITING TO GO TO REHAB.QUOTE]
Old 09-06-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by tribal1969 View Post
I'm not the one that hits on the men. And the two I did go out with I already knew from other places. They just happen to ask me out at AA. One of them didn't have a drinking problem and was court ordered. The other one has been in for along time and is very active in AA. I don't scope out the men. I can do that at the gym. I do listen. I actually prefer the all ladies meeting. I just don't care for sharing part.
OK, I take back what I said. The guy with years in who asked you out IS "13th stepping" and should know better. It doesn't matter that he knew you from before, it's still inappropriate, IMO.

Of course, neither you nor they need our permission to do anything you choose. The time you spend dating might be better spent with a sponsor. You know, there's no rule that says you have to keep drinking until you go to rehab, either. You might get more out of meetings AND rehab with a clear(er) head
Old 09-06-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tribal, I hope you find your way. There are plenty of positive things to do while you wait for rehab. Come to SR and do some reading.

Wish you well.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by WakeUp View Post
Real 13th stepping are old timers (usually men) who hit on newcomers (usually pretty, young women). Get the picture?
They don't even need to be genuine old-timers. Anybody can pick up a 20 year chip and claim they are an old-timer. I have heard guys out in the parking lot brag about a double-X token being a better babe-magnet than a red corvette.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i have a sponsee that hasnt had her spiritual awakening YET...up until recently she kept picking up guys left right and centre...closer look at this and she is trying to fill the hole in her soul...
i hope you find your way also tribal.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aehmnm View Post
you want my opinion?

it is because of what you are doing that makes AA caution against dating in meetings. AA doesn't discourage dating so much, but waiting until you have some sober time under your belt

You could be messing with someone else's sobriety by dating others from meetings while you are still drinking.

Just my opinion.
Or even while you are not drinking. And the person you date could be interfering with yours. It's unwise, unethical and unprofessional.

W.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I still drink and so far the only thing I have got out of it is a few dates

AA isn't a dating service. It's a program for living a sober healthy life. I feel bad that you seem to be going to meetings just to find dates.

I hope you have a good experience at rehab.