Notices

Lying to myself!!

Old 09-05-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lying to myself!!

Well, here i am again on day1 after several half hearted attempts to stop drinking. Why were they half hearted attempts??? because i kept telling myself that i didnt really have a serious problem

Its funny how all logical thoughts go out the window when yu're tackling an addiction. Thoughts like 'well if you havent got a problem how come you dont just pack it in for a bit...should be easy enough if you're not addicted'

Anyways, here i am, and ive had a bit of a 'road to damascus' moment! (im an atheist,but you get the gist) Its just suddenly struck me that i have a struggle on my hands and i need to knuckle down and treat this problem seriously and respectfully if I am gonna beat it!!

So here goes.......i have to stay strong and stay focused, and be prepared to change my lifestyle just as i would if i was suffering from any other potentially life threatening disease!!

Its going to be a better sober me from here on in
Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Our addict voice tells us a lot of lies. YOu have to learn not to listen to it. Never give up!!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome, Crystal,

For me, personally, I had to admit I was powerless over alcohol. I found that brute force of will didn't work for this particular problem, even though I had overcome other problems in my life that way.

Give it a try, but if you find yourself slipping, AA has a great solution.

Congrats on your decision to stop drinking.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back to SR and reality....

Do you have a plan for staying sober?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Crystal - I am where you are at - except on day 17. But same wake-up to how serious this is (although down deep I've know my drinking is a problem and out of control). But the thought of getting sober and then moderating is my new wake-up call - moderation never seems to work and lands me back on day 1 several months and many glasses of red later! You are in the right place.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crystal67 View Post
Why were they half hearted attempts??? because i kept telling myself that i didnt really have a serious problem
Yeah, that is called 'denial'. Its not just a river in Egypt.

Congratulations on getting honest without yourself and recognizing your denial!!! That is awesome!!! Honesty is one of the key ingredients in recovery. Some other key ingredients that I found essential are a desire to remain sober at all times and learning how to stay away from that first drink.

Sometimes it is easy staying away from that first drink, but other times its not. What helps me through those hard times are:

1. Remembering that the first drink gets me drunk. I can't have the 16+ beer without the first one.
2. I think through the drink to the end stages where the ending isn't pretty. I usually turn into a lush, blackout, and have to deal with a hangover the next day, if not physical, then definitely emotional and mental ones.
3. Reach out to people before you drink. Either on here or other recovering addicts/alcoholics that you know.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wish you the best! Keep sharing the journey. I know it took me many half-hearted attempts and a change of thinking to get sober and begin recovery.

We are doing it and it is a reality.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Denial is such a huge part of addiction.

And, good for you for being aware that you will need to make big changes in your lifestyle. That's great!