A little laughter

Old 09-04-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little laughter

As some of you know, Mr. Dev and I are now raising our 3 year old great-grandaughter. What fun she is!!

Because we've been through so much with my son, her grandfather we've or I, for sure, have learned a lot! Therefore, I am bound and determined I'm not going to lose another one to drugs.

I decided that 3 is not to young to start preaching about everything so I talked with the baby and this is what I said:

"Ok, what are the rules?" She replies, #l....no smoking! #2.....no drugs.... then she hesitates and I say "#3 no drinking!" to which she responds,
"OH NANNA, I LOVE TO DRINK!" I started laughing, and she very seriously responds JUICE, MILK, EVEN WATER!

I thought how funny is that! Good thing I didn't have her tell the social worker what the rules were huh?

Just a little light fun!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 09-04-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BBD

Hi Dev, Little ones are so much fun and what comes out of their mouths is even greater. Your wonderful people to be donating your lives at this age to raising a child. But, the rewards are so great and the time spent~~priceless. With all the knowledge we now have at this age~~she will be a winner in everyones eyes. Enjoy that lil girl and keep up your energy. Smiles, Bonnie
Old 09-04-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

ooh you just wait!! it does get even funnier....
Old 09-05-2010, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

(((Dev))) That precious child is so blessed to have you and Mr. Dev. and she's already making me kersnickle too.

I really hate to suggest how you raise this dear child...but Dev, maybe teach her that black and white stripes are not becoming...prison wedding or not

And Rule #4 - We do not live in storage sheds.

LOL, I can only imagine the bedtime "fairy tales" Grandma Dev will be reading to this little angel. Somehow I think "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" will be turned into "Princess Dev and Some Guys called Guido".

Love you Dev, keep sharing because you never fail to make me smile.

Big Hugs and Lotsa Love
Old 09-05-2010, 06:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the laugh Devastated! I am forever quoting my GD, these little ones make life worth living!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Out of the mouths of babes. How cute! I do miss those "innocent" years.

Indeed, she is a very fortunate little lady to have you two caring for her. Best wishes.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Again:

Thought I would post a recent photo of our ggd. She has grown so much in the past 6 months. She starts preschool on Tuesday. Finally got her potty trained and got rid of the "binky" against her will of course!

Can't believe how tall she is getting and talking up a storm now. The social workers love coming here to visit her. Not because of baby, but Mr. Dev's wonderful lunches! The last one said she will never be happy with anyone elses' pasta after eating Mr. Devs!

Here is a photo of ggd and Mr. Dev showing off Mr. Dev's silver ribbon for placing 2nd for his 2009 Syrah.

Hugs dev

Old 09-05-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Mr. Dev is #1 in our hearts, Dev, you can tell him the foxy lady from the north said so (and what a handsome man he is!!!)

I love that picture, wow, pre-kindergarten!!! Before you know it she will be heading off to medical school.

More big hugs for the Dev crowd. You are God's special people.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Auntie Ann:

You're so right....medical school is just around the corner. Wish I was going to be here for that big day.

Mr. Dev is a very handsome man, but then he had better be 'cause don't forget they're all crazy for me! Why just the other day at the pool a nice man came over to me and said, "you're a fine looking woman!" I thanked him and, of course, asked how his cataract surgery was coming along! LOL

Thanks Ann, glad I'm special to someone!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 09-05-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Too cute!

Unfortunately there is no sure fire way to prevent someone from becoming an addict-- even more so when it's in their blood. But you do the best you can do, and you pray. That is what I do anyway. I agree, you really can't start too young. I was told not to do drugs and I knew certain drugs were addictive, but I got hooked anyway. There was a lot about addiction I didn't know and have learned since going to treatment and coming to NA. I wish I had known more about the nature of addiction and what it could do to your life, especially that you can even get addicted to a 'non-addictive' drug, as I did. Good luck with your GGD!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How precious.

I have an eight month old and I would do aything to keep the idea of drugs out of the picture completely. I am so confused on how to even handle the subject with my daughter (when the time comes).

I think you two seem to being doing a good job with that little one though. =]
Old 09-06-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Onewithwings...

Now I'm really scared about our GGD heading in the wrong direction! I think you're right about being born with the "addiction" gene. I'm sure my son was born "drug addicted" too. We adopted him when he was only 3 days old from a doctor. They didn't tell us anything about the mom until years later. He's 47 now, and has completely wasted his life! This is his grandaughter!

Now I'm really scared as to her future! I guess it doesn't matter if I preach or not if it's in her blood! However, I won't give up preaching.

Devastated