Notices

Frustrating urges

Old 09-04-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Frustrating urges

11 months sober. Fell off the wagon HARD last month.

New sober date August 11, 2010.

Today for some reason, out of the blue, urges to drink are incredible. (Doesn't help having my wife bring a half dozen bottles of wine home for herself either)

I hate when the stress and depression hit you like a ton of bricks and you feel like exploding.

Gotta not drink!

Thanks for listening. Needed to post.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you for fighting the Urge, it must be hard when your partner drinks. Im lucky mine doesnt anymore due to his Ulcer so it makes it easier for me.

Keep going and stay strong, your doing Great xx
Old 09-04-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear you with the urges!!! They are always so strong on the weekends for me! Just take it one minute at a time, if you can just do it for today, you will make it. Sometimes I try to sleep it off, that is if you don't have insomnia!!! Keep coming on here, it helps keep you clean. You can do it! Good Luck!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm not sure what's up with your wife bringing home a half-dozen bottles of wine when she is so upset about your drinking, but regardless.

Today might be an excellent day to go find an AA meeting. You were talking about it when you first posted here.

I'd sure rather be around a bunch of people talking about how to stay sober than around someone drinking wine--especially if I were feeling like I wanted to drink.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess she just wants the best of both worlds and figures she doesn't have a problem so why shouldn't she have wine in the house. At least she's not bringing in Vodka.

It's easy for someone to say 'if you love your family you'll never drink again' but then ignore it when they're told 'if you love me and want to help me then you'll keep a dry house'.

Thanks for the support everyone.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I hear ya, bunge. The urges to drink hit us when we're feeling down, which makes it really tough sometimes. Just remember that those feelings will pass. I know it's hard to be patient (because we're so used to instant relief), but you'll regret it if you drink over it. You managed 11 months, so you can do it again. (Sorry, but I wish I could talk to your wife...... that really sucks!):ghug3
Old 09-04-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry your wife is not being more supportive, but stay strong and you can get through this!
Old 09-05-2010, 02:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

U need to have a little chat with the wife.
tell her U need support and that U R weak right now, that alcohol in the house isn't helping.
I thank God, that my husband never, ever had a problem and maybe has a drink about once a year, but since I have been sober he hasnt had one in over 3 years.
B strong.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I was happily living alone when I began AA recovery
so I was keeping my apartment a no drinking zome.

However....I too had cravings and here is what worked for me
and some other SR members.....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Wishing you the very best recovery offers...
Old 09-05-2010, 02:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stay strong and what helped me was posting on SR when I felt the urge or when I felt I was going into a trigger situation. You can get through this.

I also would love to have a chat with your wife. So sorry she isn't on board with sobriety but that is no reason whatsoever for you not to remain on task.

Keep posting and know that you have 11 months in so your desire and drive to live a sober life is there. Learn from this and keep it going.

Thinking of you!
Old 09-05-2010, 03:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can so relate to what you're saying, I think we all can. It's a hard journey but worth it. Keep yourself as busy as possible and keep visiting S.R as often as you can. It really helps. We are all here for you.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So sorry for what you're going through. I agree with the others who suggest that you have a little chat with your wife, but in the meantime I think it's possible to find some ways to work around her. One simple suggestion for dealing with cravings is to eat a bit of chocolate or ice cream. My sponsor once suggested buying a bag of chocolate chips and keeping it in the freezer, grabbing a few whenever I felt a strong urge for alcohol. Hope that helps. And I think it also helps to keep posting here and getting stuff off your chest, so stick close by. Best of luck to you.

Stephanie
Old 09-05-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My suggestion would be that you at least explain to your wife that if she chooses to drink, you would prefer not to be around it. But I know lots of people who have gotten sober without any support from a spouse who continues to drink. It makes it a bit more of a challenge, but it can be done.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I know urges to drink can be powerful and hard to resist. Yet I also know from experience that I do not have to give into my urges. It may be uncomfortable to resist an urge but it is far less agonizing that all the misery I generate to those around me and to myself when I give into an urge to drink.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

God, I am on day 25, and my urges are worse than they were on Day 4, which was always my relapse day! What the heck, right?

I don't think I could stand it if my husband was bringing home wine. I don't think I could stay sober. Hope you have a good support system,
Nancy