Notices

I'm new - and I need help.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question I'm new - and I need help.

I'm a young male addict and alcoholic. My mother died a couple years ago and I went into a deep depression. At that time I had a condo, 2 cars, a great job, a dog, was working on my BA degree, had tons of friends, and no worries. Now I have lost all of that, even my dad and stepmom have given up on me. I went into rehab after getting a dui last year, and I made it about 5 months then relapsed hardcore. I was kicked out of rehab a couple months ago and since then have been "couch surfing" with various friends and even that ended because nobody can take this madness. I am now sleeping on a park bench, shoplifting mouthwash to stay drunk, and selling myself for oxy's and/ or crystal meth. I want to stop so bad but every time I try to dry out after about 2 days I'm soaking wet, my heart feels like its about to explode, and every time I fall asleep I go into convulsions and end up staying awake to avoid a seizure. I really need a detox but have no money or insurance and I don't see a way out of this hellhole. Is there any help out there or am I at the end of my road? I am located in Pinellas county Florida and I can't seem to find any info on how to detox without money or insurance. Any advice or info would be great, I want this to be over.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please, please, please go to an ER and seek help.

The Salvation Army offers free rehab services to anyone who is interested.

Here you go:

http://www.uss.salvationarmy.org/uss...2?openDocument
Old 09-04-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I agree with Anna. Its sounds the condition you are in medically is very serious. You have nothing to lose at this point, so please please find the closest ER or Urgent Care facility and ask for help.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here. Yes, Please go to the ER for help. They cannot turn you away if you are in need of immediate medical attention. Detox can be deadly--especially if you are having seizures/convulsions. Also, like Anna mentioned--there are other services available like Salvation Army that can help once you are no longer in immediate danger. Don't give up hope! You are not alone. We do recover.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

thanks for the input - I cold turkeyed it right before I put that post up, I had been weening myself off the alcohol for 2 days. Haven't had any since right before I put that post up, and I'm actually doing surprisingly well. I'm getting cold really easily and i get goosebumps that stay on my arms, they seem to come and go in 10 minute increments, I read that was from opiate withdrawal. I can't quite eat normally yet and I didn't sleep hardly at all last night, but I'm no longer shaking or feelings bugs on my arm. I really think by tomorrow I will be a lot better, and should feel normal in a few days. Thanks for the input, but unless my condition drastically changes I don't think I'll need medical assistance. I am already on the waiting list for salvation army and will do everything I can to stay out of trouble till I get in. I never thought I would get to the point I got to, it was really scary and seemed there was no way out, but I'm beginning to see that I can beat this. I'll let you guys know when I get into rehab, in the meantime thank you.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Great--glad to hear it. Hope the rest of your detox is uneventful and that you get into a rehab.

Stay in touch.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

While you are waiting for rehab....I strongly suggest you
connect to NA and AA meetings in your area.

You are not working....so you have lots of free time
to spend and meetings are vital in early recovery....IMO

Welcome to SR.....
Old 09-05-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Will do. I still have my NA basic text that I've been reading again but I will get to meetings, maybe even get a temp sponsor...
Old 09-05-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Liam please get to those meetings as suggested and go to the ER while waiting on rehab.

I wish you the best and definitely stay as connected as possible with meetings and continue to post here.

I admire your drive and know that you can do this and rehab sounds like it would work perfectly.

Thinking of you!!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with Kmber2010. Why not go to the ER? What's to lose? Maybe they can expedite your connection with the rehab or the Salvation Army. You sound like you've got lots of guts and courage. You've got a big fight ahead of you. Try to get all the help you can get. You can't do it alone. You're fighting for your life. I'm sure you know that.

W.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please get medical help if you need it. Detox is nothing to mess around with. I hope you can get into rehab soon. In the meantime, take good care of yourself.

Welcome to SR!