Notices

Please talk to me every day

Old 09-04-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please talk to me every day

Hi guys, I'm new.

I'm trying to stop drinking. Day one I spent the whole day in bed. I don't have a lot of the severe symptoms I hear people talking about. So there's a little birdie in my head going "See you really don't have a real problem"

Uh Huh yeah right.

I'm hearing imparied as some of you might know and I'm someone who posts online a lot. I want to create a support system here for a week or so.

If you are the type that likes to chat please talk to me here. I'm going to post my thoughts and feelings and experiences and this is as close to a meeting as I can get.

I can't hear in the meetings so that leaves me feeling isolated and lonely.

In the morning I sit on my deck and relax with the lap top and coffee and cigarettes. I want to quit so bad. I want this to be gone, old news, nothing to do with me any more.

I've spun out of control in drinking for about a year now. I have drank every single day (with one or two days between of me saying OK this time I'm quitting)

It seems like I have two sides to my personality. The responsible person who is annoyed at myself for basically wasting money and being selfish and having moments of "regret and embarassment" and the other side of my personality that says "life is short" "it's not that big of a deal" "stop being a drama queen and do what you want."

I've noticed this feeling of victory when I say "I can do whatever I want, you're not the boss of me"

I'm sitting here Day two. I know that I will probably have a drink later today because I have to teach and I don't want to be shaking and DTing in my classroom Also because I've read it's dangerous to go cold turkey.

Please comment and just give me a group of people to talk to. Then I can talk and not drink.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Goodman, I am on this site all the time. Every free minute I have. I will be happy to talk to you. Whenever you see my little dot green and you want to talk I will come into the chat room with you. I know how hard it is when you feel alone. Hang in there. There are so many of us here who want to help. Take care.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Welcome Goodman! i Pop in and out all the time.. (see my user name)
Old 09-04-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am here as well Goodman and do visit SR a lot, it is a wonderful support program where you will find good friends and those who are in the "same boat" as you. We are all in this together. Stay strong and you will get through this period in your life. I do think that an alcoholic needs to work on their recovery for the rest of their lives.

Take good care of yourself and keep in touch.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Goodman, I am on here every day, too. I have been for years. I find wisdom and joy and inspiration here. We all support each other and we work hard to take care of ourselves. I am so glad you have made the decision to live a sober life.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Glad you are here.

What made the difference for me was getting to the point where I decided I was DONE with alcohol. Nobody was making me quit, except my own body and being sick of what it was doing to me.

Regardless whether you experience withdrawal symptoms, not everyone who is an alcoholic has them. Not everyone who is an alcoholic is physically dependent. But if you drink when you intend not to, and can't control it once you start, you are probably alcoholic.

Here's something you might want to take a look at today: Big Book Online.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm here, Day 1, again.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Raindance....sounds like you have been here before. this is my first time here. everyone has been so welcoming. how are you feeling today?
Old 09-04-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

WB, Raindance,

Glad to have you back. Do you have a plan for staying sober?
Old 09-04-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi goodman,

Good to hear from you. As for quitting, I would recommend cold turkey. Weening yourself off via controlled or moderated drinking for people who abuse alcohol rarely works. It can be done, but there is also a good chance that you will continue in your groove.

I understand that you have responsibilities that you want to take care of and feel that you need the alcohol in order to perform them properly (kind of sucks, doesn't it?).

You should consult a doctor if you feel that it might be dangerous for you going cold turkey. Its really hard to tell what symptoms you will have quitting alcohol. It can range from mild, to sweats, fever, anxiety, to hallucinations, seizures, coma, and death.

If you are really far into your drinking, consult a doctor. The best thing for you might be to take some time off of your work and go into a detox clinic.

As for meetings. I used to go to meetings with a deaf person, but they had an interpreter. Maybe that is something you can look into. There are plenty of online meetings too. I do believe they have some chat meetings here. I a new myself and haven't checked them out.

Here are a few AA online text meetings.
AA Chat Meetings - AA Chat Meeting Schedule
AAOnline.net--Realtime Open AA Meetings on the Internet

SMART Recovery also a few online text meetings
SMART RecoveryŽ - OnLine Meetings Schedule
Old 09-04-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Goodman - Alot of us felt like we had "split personalities" too. I know I did. There were always two competing voices inside - the real me and the addict me. I felt so bewildered that I couldn't quit - how could I be strong in other areas of my life and so weak when it came to alcohol? Even now, it just baffles my mind - but then again, that's what an addiction does.

The good news is that once we stop feeding and obeying that addict voice, we find that the real us is actually a pretty decent person. Keep taking things a day at a time and post as much as you want - it's why we're all here!!
Old 09-04-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Would love to talk to ye

Hi Goodman,

Welcome to SR. I'm here quite a bit too and will look out for ya also. It's early days for me too....but I get lots of good advice here and reading the big book is a great help also along with other AA literature. Also wanted to say that being deaf is not necessarily a barrier to meetings, there is one guy at some meetings I go to and he has a hearing person sign everything for him so might be something you could look at if not now somewhere down the road. Not sure if that person is also alcoholic or not but look into it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Lucky,

Wecome to SR. Hang in there and follow this thread and chat and post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Raindance,

Good to have you back. This road does lead to good places as you will see from the posts here and the various ways of staying sober. AA is good for me tho and I sure want what some of them folk have!!!

Take it easy,

Annette
Old 09-04-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A lot of us here are in the same boat.

Hang in there!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, how are you today?

Hi Goodman,

Hope your day starts good and keeps going that way. Please check in.

Annette
Old 09-05-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

each day getting a little better

Hi Goodman,
I'm 31 and have not had a sober night in 12 years. I haven't remembered the last 5 hrs of my days in 12 years. But...I've been sober now for 5 days! The first day was just the had tremors and nausea but days 2 and 3 were Hell, literal Hell. But, yesterday I walked outside and felt the beauty of the sun (something I haven't been able to feel in over a decade.) I had a day without any anxiety or hopelessness. It was amazing! Today I joined this group so I could connect w/people like you. People that know exactly how I feel and know that making it one day without drinking is a big victory in this lifelong battle. I know we can do it, Goodman. I know there may be setbacks, but that doesn't mean we are gonna give up....we are just gonna consider it a bump in a long road. And, we are gonna make it! YOU are gonna make it. I'll be on this site quite a bit and will check in w/you often. We all need you as much as you need us. God bless you and everyone on this site, Goodman. You all are as much in my prayers as I am in my prayers.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Goodman....glad you are here and know that we are here 24/7 and you have our support. I totally agree with wanting to stop and being miserable about it. I quit and got help and SR is a great place to begin your journey my friend.

Keep on posting....I'm reading. Glad you made the choice to live sober. Sobriety is amazing.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

soberbound....
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations to everyone in early sobriety.....

Many of us here are winning over addiction....and
Yes! so can you.....
Old 09-05-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Goodman and Soberbound and Everyone - I too am in the early stages of trying - yet once again to get and remain sober. Today is day 17 for me and I decided this time I needed to do a few things different or it would be just like before. So I joined this site and have found it very very helpful. I am also in the process of trying out AA meetings for the first time. Today I will go to my 3rd meeting. Although everyone is very welcoming at meetings - esp. of new people - it is a strange new land. So many strange new things at once, i.e., sobriety with the thought of not trying to moderate (this is what I usually try after being sober and it never seems to work) and reaching out (realizing I can't do this alone). Since I joined this forum I am here often and find it helpful. So I look to see you guys here and join the journey with you. Everyone on this forum has been down this path are are traveling still - we are all at different places but on the same path. I find hope in those who have been traveling longer than I and company in those where I am along the journey.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Goodman

I would love to chat with you!!!

Tell me ....

1. What are your interests and hobbies?

2. What jobs/duties have you neglected whilst you have been drinking?

3. What job (within reason) would you have really have loved to have done?

4. If you could travel to any part of the world, where would it be and why?

5. What is your favourite word?

6. What is your favourite dessert?

7. What is your favourite sandwich?

8. Where was your worst holiday too and where?

9. Do you have a garden/yard and what does it look like?

10. What question do you most hate people asking you?

If you answer all back, I will too

Hope your well.

xx