In what situations do I feel excessive responsibility for other people?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In what situations do I feel excessive responsibility for other people?

[B]

I feel responsible for other people's feelings/moods/attitudes including those of my AS. If someone is sad, I feel it's my responsibility to make them happy. If someone is upset, I feel it's my responsibility to calm them down. If two people can't get along, I feel it is my responsibility to help them see the others' point of view. If someone is hurt, I feel it is my responsibility to heal them. If someone is sick, it's my responsibility to cure them. If someone is having a bad day, I feel it is my responsibility to make their day better.

Crap. I'm WAAAAY to responsible for everyone but myself. No wonder I feel like my life is out of control!

Ooooohh.......I really didn't like that question.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kindeyes... This question hit HOME for me. I have become addicted to volunteer work, so much that it effects my ability to be a good mom & my business. At first I thought that the Lord had cursed me with the responsibility. Now I realize I'm trying to fix everyone.

My dad is dying due to his drinking. And instead of dysfunction taking a back seat it has increased 300%. I am so happy to have found this site. It is too late for me to change my relationship with my father, but I can change myself and have a better life!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
Kindeyes... This question hit HOME for me. I have become addicted to volunteer work, so much that it effects my ability to be a good mom & my business. At first I thought that the Lord had cursed me with the responsibility. Now I realize I'm trying to fix everyone.

My dad is dying due to his drinking. And instead of dysfunction taking a back seat it has increased 300%. I am so happy to have found this site. It is too late for me to change my relationship with my father, but I can change myself and have a better life!
Wow, my x wife is dying from alcoholism also. Thanks for the heads up on the dysfunction. I'm like you, I'd think it'd subside a little, but I guess they can't help themselves. Just the opposite, man.

Damn, that's some valuable information to have. Really, thanks.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I'm getting pretty good at letting those feelings roll right over me instead of acting on them. At least I'm aware of it now, rather than just jumping in with my fixing self.