Notices

How long until I start getting rest again?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long until I start getting rest again?

I've posted it a few times, but coming up on 4 weeks. Still waking up like I haven't slept well. I know that is one of the effects of going sober, but does the rest/quality sleep come back after 1 month? 2? Is there a rule of thumb?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
xuse

i still have trouble falling asleep but as far as rest i feel rested after i sleep tommorow will be a month for me have you talked to a dr they could help sleep and quality of sleep are important
Old 09-03-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't know that there is a "rule of thumb" about it. I think my sleep started improving within a month or so.

If you continue to have problems, a visit to your doctor might be in order. Just be sure he understands you are in recovery and that you don't want any medications that will interfere with it.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

for me was about 2 weeks sober,adjusting to not drinking, early rises,a good days work,
minimal or no caffeine eveings..job done...sleepin like a baby..good luck on your new sober life.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was lucky in that normal sleep came back to me fairly quickly. But everyone is different, so I don't think there is a "normal" amount of time. I agree with the see your doctor recommendation. And like Lexie said, make sure that he/she knows that you are in recovery.

And congrats on the almost 4 weeks!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is no rule that I know of...but if I was still having sleeping hassles after a month you might be best consulting a doctor, abnheel.

D
Old 09-03-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks for the help. i actually did a sleep study last week that I set up before going sober. so, maybe it'll come up with something

I have never been a morning person to begin with
Old 09-04-2010, 05:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My sleep pattern is very inconsistent. The doctor did tell me that it will take awhile for a solid pattern to return... but I do think it is different for everyone.
He did prescribe sleeping pills, but I only take a half of one, if I haven't slept well for three or four days in a row.

I am a VERY early riser, but do go to bed prior to 10:00 p.m. and usually up by 4:30 a.m.

Within time, it should get better, but if it doesn't, I would make a doctor's appointment.

Congrats on your sober time.