Notices

44 days in..... starting to get the obsession

Old 09-02-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

44 days in..... starting to get the obsession

Hey all,
Just the last week here I've been really starting to obsess over drinking again. I feel like I'm getting a little amnesia with how bad it really got. It's really helped reading here about ppl "testing the water" and still not able to control it. I've found also that when things get really crazy in the house, I used to be able to "tune" it out by drinking and nothing really bothered me. Now, learning to deal with every situation sober is starting to become a little overwheling at times. Pls tell me this gets easier!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, it will get easier, for sure.

When I began recovery, I had to start to learn a whole different way to live because I had been ignoring my emotions for so long and not dealing with stuff. Just take it slow and you can get through this. And, don't let the addict voice convince you it's okay and you can manage it, because you know in your heart that it won't work.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Clearhead
Welcome to SR

For me it got easier - but I needed to put in a lot of work daily....not just not drinking, but as you say, learning to deal with myself and my life and my relationships sober, and negating the voice that tells you it's ok to have 'just one'.

Posting here helped me a lot. Support helps immeasurably
Are you using any kind of programme or support beside us?

D
Old 09-02-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am not that far in, but I know that exact feeling. It seems like everything becomes chaos all at once. I am trying to step back, deep breath, brain straight, and take care of it. Good luck, hang on to it.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Clearhead
Welcome to SR

For me it got easier - but I needed to put in a lot of work daily....not just not drinking, but as you say, learning to deal with myself and my life and my relationships sober, and negating the voice that tells you it's ok to have 'just one'.

Posting here helped me a lot. Support helps immeasurably
Are you using any kind of programme or support beside us?

D
I actually went to detox center for 5 days and did an outpatient program for a month. I picked up a sponsor and attend about 2 meetings a week, or more. I talked with him about this and he's really on me about getting through the steps. I think the "romance" is fading a bit and life is not fully centered around my recovery anymore. It doesn't help football season has started and its been really wierd watching sports without a drink.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate, Clear. I'm just past 2 weeks of sobriety and I caught myself thinking that there wouldn't be any harm in drinking tonight. That I've gone this far so why not celebrate with a couple of bourbon and cokes.Thank God I didn't! Man, it is unbelievable how the addicted body and mind work!!

Peace and best wishes to everyone.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am approaching 4 weeks and always have that feeling. I try to remember my wife crying and how pissed off I was for doign what I did.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I had over a month sober, slipped one night, and have been sober again a couple days. In no way, shape, or form was I able to know when to say when. I had drinks, and I got hammered.
I have 2 teens, and I get it when you say that you could tune out chaos with drinking. I think the beginning of me drinking too much coincided with some troubling teen situations my oldest got into. But since I've stopped drinking, I've had a few opportunities to truly be present for my family when I was needed, and it felt damn good. It does get easier, and it starts feeling very rewarding as well, so hang in there!