Notices

Addition is a Criminal Offence

Old 09-01-2010, 01:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Post Addition is a Criminal Offence

This is an Article I wrote over at my newsvine column

Newsvine - Addiction Is A Criminal Offense Not a Sickness

Addiction is about pain it is about the denied and wounded spirit. Don't ever forget that some of the most creative people in history were addicts. Creativity causes pain it rips open the fabric of society and forces people to look upon their own ugliness sometimes too. Many addicts are our soliders who were wounded in our stupid wars about drugs. This thing in Afghanistan is about opium and other natural resources. Don't forget what we do down in South America and on our own boarder down Mexico way either.
I believe addiction is a sickness not a choice. I do not know anyone touched by addiction that is not in pain. We have made this pain illegal and I guess that is one way of controlling it but it does not even touch the real reason for addiction which is the pain that the people who are addicted are in.
I would very much enjoy hearing your input.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Interesting topic!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

My addiction is my doing, not someone else's. I accept responsibility for it. I am responsible for staying sober. There certanly is a lot of help for me, and others with addicition...imho.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I can recall in the late 80's and early 90's (particularly during the reign of the first Bush) that addiction and drug use was indeed viewed and "treated" as a criminal matter with heavy handed punishments. Thankfully, we have come VERY far since then, and I am pleased we no longer have people in power who see things so black and white. We still have a ways to go towards true understanding and more effective solutions but the dark days appear to be behind us...
Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I use to drink very heavily and I went thru hell quitting. I am glad I was able to quit. People in AA have told me that they don't think I am really an alcoholic.

I have siblings still out there using every day and one who is clean he has gotten clean before and done very well and even worked in counseling as he does now. I am so glad he is once again out of the hell. But I can also feel the tention he has sometimes and I know he is in constant pain as he broke his back in several places and has a metal plate with screws in it in the femur of one of his legs and a broken calcanius. I try to just rejoice with him everyday that he is clean but honestly I do worry about him. I admire him for fighting cause I know it is a fight for him and he got so bad right before he got clean again. He got busted and was offered rehab or prison he took rehab but he did have to sit in jail for a while he got mercer disease while in jail and almost lost his hand and was rushed into emergency surgery he was in the hospital almost a month with the merce disease.

I have another brother who is getting ready to do 5 years for crack pocession and he has been on a real rampage of using since he was busted and got out awaiting trial. He has never been convicted of a violent crime. His lawyer says he is going to do 5 years I just read in the paper hat someone got 3 years for murder. It just seems way unjust to me. My brother who is as sick as someone can be is getting five years while someone else commits a violent murder and gets 2 years less. Does this not seem wrong to anybody but me? I am sorry but this just hurts me like you cannot believe to see my sweet brother looking like such a tired old man going down again.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I could tell this Thread had the potential to go down hill fast...kinda thought twice about posting on it.

I am sorry for what you are going through splendra. I wish you and your family the best. There are a lot of things in the criminal justice system that are unfair...that we agree on.

I'll just leave it at that.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

It's an old wound I should just get over it.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your pain, and that of your brothers - I wish you and your family the best too Splendra

D