Notices

New To The SoberRecovery Page

Old 08-31-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New To The SoberRecovery Page

Hey everyone, what's going on? I've been sober since July 14th of this year. I forget how I ended up coming across this site but I searched for something on google and came across it a while ago when I first became sober and I thought "ehh, why make a username and get into it on there when I have a couple people who I already talk to such a my therapist and so on and so forth." I came across the site again today when I was searching on google again (google is great haha) and i figured, why not give it a try. Seems to me as if it would be easier for me to talk to some of you people on here than tell someone face to face, I absolutly hate talking face to face with people about my addiction because I feel as if I get judged and I feel as they try to press things on me and try to MAKE or FORCE me to do things just because I'm an "addict" in their mind. But anyways, my drug of choice was oxycontin, all though I was using any type of painkiller I could get at the time. I started off pretty young when I was 16, I had knee surgery on my right knee and I was prescribed 5mg percocets which my mother would hold onto for me just so I wouldn't get into the situation I am in now. I then had a second knee surgery the same year on my left knee (as both of them are screwed up) and I convinced my mom to let me hold onto them because I figured out if I took enough, it got me high and I enjoyed the high. So, one thing led to another and now I'm 21 years old have nothing to show for it besides my car as I sold EVERYTHING I had to obtain pills to get high. I finally came to the realization to come clean with my mother and doctor and told them I would like to go on a Suboxone program. At first my doctor couldn't really help as he explained you have to be specially licensed to prescribe Suboxone or Methadone and all that fun stuff. After my doctor gave me that whole talk on how he couldn't really help, I pretty much gave up that day and went and used. The next day, I had nothing to use and finally found a clinic in my area and now I'm on Suboxone, 16mg a day and I get the prescribed weekly. I'm doing good so far, well as of right now.

It's just really hard for me when I get urges and I usually talk to my mother since shes the only one I live with. But, like I said, it's really hard for me because all of my friends do prescription pain killers like I used to, and my younger brother who I hung out with every day uses as well as his girlfriend. Ahh, it's like I'm a mess when I get urges because I have really no one or no where to turn to and as everyone who is/was in the same boat as I am, urges suck so much. I'm just trying to get my life straightened out, it's just so hard for me but I see that this is a must and I have no other choice. I quit/dropped out of high school because of this crap, I've lost 4-5 jobs already because of not showing up to work because I would always be nodded out somewhere at my house, friends house, party ect. And I started college in 2007, but I would go every other day which I screwed myself over and 2008, I just completely stopped going to school. So, now I have no other choice but to stop unless I either want to be a loser the rest of my life or even worse, die. But, that's my story and I want to say thanks to anyone and everyone on this forum that is willing to help, it really means a lot, and I hope I can help others as well as helping myself!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behind the Red Door

Welcome to soberrecovery. Lot's of good people here. I think you're gonna like it.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! Please take a look at our substance abuse forum. Lots of good experience and advice there.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/
Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both! Much appreciated!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR ShiftTurboPSHH

D
Old 08-31-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Shift - good to have you! Addiction is such a leech - it sucks us dry of anything and everything we have. I'm so glad to hear you've had enough of living this way. And congratulations on your sober time - that's awesome!

It really helps to be able to talk to people (especially when those urges hit and we feel so alone). This is a great place because you can run to the computer whenever you feel you need that support. Keep hanging in there - we're with you!!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome to SR. I'm glad you have decided to join, and also that you're getting help for your addiction. Keep reading and posting!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shift and Welcome,

It sounds like you have a really good perspective on your life, and that you know you need to makes these changes now if you want to succeed. We do understand how hard it is, and that's why it's good to come here and read and post.

You have a lot of people around you using drugs, and that will not make it any easier for you to stay sober, but you can do it!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Shift, welcome to SR there's lots of people here who have been where you are and will support you even when your in person support isn't available. You don't have to go through this alone, hang in there.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ahh, i already feel good about this forum and feel like it will help me alot!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are here!