Notices

New Here

Old 08-30-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

I am new here and found this might help me on my journey. I am scared that my drinking got out of control over the last fewmonths and I need to stop. I hadmy last drink at 10pm last night and I am now going through some withdrawl sysmptoms. Mostly sweating and tremors.

I haveno one in real life to talk to about this. I need to do this for my kids.

Thanks for listening.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Atlanta and welcome! You will find a lot of support here. If you find you need someone in real life you can always go to AA. While your kids will be profoundly grateful you quit drinking you should be doing This for yourself first :-)
Old 08-30-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome.

Any suggestions anyone for making through a day like today? I have been trying to just stay really busy so I am not thinking about drinking. All the alcohol is gone out of the house thank goodness.

I have two of my children home all day with me and the older ones are at school. One gives me a real run for themoney so to speak and am trying to not let her bad behavior get to me. That is a trigger for my drinking I know that much..

Thanks for listening.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the first week or so is just about taking it one day at a time and getting through withdrawal (you might want to talk to a doctor about it). If you get a craving realize it will pass...one trick I had was to remember, in the most vivid detail possible the worst I ever felt drink king...don't think about aanything positive with drinking. If you can try and meditate for awhile. As the child of an alcoholic, try and recognize that your child's pushing your buttons might be a reaction to your drinking, alcohol hurts more than just the drinker.

Once you get a few days sober behind you, you should start thinking about how you are going to stay sober, in my experience and what I see here being sober is about a heck of a lot more than not drinking...so read SR and start to come up with a plan :-)

SR is a great help getting through early days...you might want to check out the two week and under thread in the newcomers daily section:-)
Old 08-30-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome, My kids are so happy that I have gave up the drink, they hated seing their mother Smashed all the time!

It makes a big difference in their lives too, pity I didnt realise this earlier.

We are here for you xx
Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome. This place helps a lot! Take care of yourself and keep posting...

Stephanie
Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR. Take it slow. You may want to see a Dr. for any withdrawals. It seems like you are pretty stressed out at home...do you have the option for any face to face support? Counseling?

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome! It really helped me to keep busy and plan small things to look forward to throughout the day. A starbucks, a movie, an early bedtime, clean sheets. Whatever makes you happy just do it and know that tomorrow morning you will feel SO relieved.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
xuse

welcome great place
Old 08-30-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community......

Blessings to you and your family
Old 08-30-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you have made the decision to live a sober life.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome! I can also say a big trigger of mine was my kids. I totally understand!! I'm glad you joined our SR family, and hope we can help you as much as you need us to!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, ATown!

The first few days can be hard. I don't want to scare you, but alcohol withdrawal can occasionally be deadly, so be sure to see a doctor or go to the ER if it gets too bad. Luckily withdrawal usually lasts only a few days, and then you will feel much better. I mentally treated it like I had the flu.

SR is a great place full of helpful people, so let us know if you have any questions or want to share your experience. Best wishes.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, im new here too, and have received so much support, its a great place to be. If you feel like having a drink log in, and get some support. Im 9 days sober, i went through some serious withdrawals. I went out for walk and got fresh air, i found that chamomile tea helped calm me down. Unfortunately the sweats shakes and tremors are something that comes with the territory, they will pass in a few days, and you will feel wonderful. If you can get some exercise, it helps purge the alcohol from your system.
Eat good, replenish your body. I too gave this up, i feel so bad for my kids, they are so happy im sober. You can do this ! You have taken the first step and you are already on the road to recovery. Good Luck and welcome
Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. Acute physical w/d only lasts a few days, after that you should start feeling better. If feeling badly enough to bother you, please get medical help.

All of us started at day one, just take it one day at a time, and if that's too long, take it an hour or a minute at a time. It will get better, I promise.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Atown

Please do see a doctor, especially if you're worried about how you're feeling.
Drop us an update on how things are when you can.

D
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad you were able to find us ATown, you will love this friendly and supportive community. Always reach out when you need to, we are all in this together.

You will feel better, if I could compare what I felt like 14 days ago, when I quit to what I feel like today.... you could say it is like "night and day". Anxiety is gone, eating well, starting to get more exercise, enjoying being a Mom, reading a lot, focused, eye sight is better, no shakes. My kids love having their "old Mom" back... and I am loving having myself back. The reason that I mention this is... it will get so much better. You just have to get through the first few days of withdrawal and things will start turning around.

Hot epson salt and baking soda baths, lots of water, rest, and quiet time were all helpful to me... oh, and I read SR and a book that explained all the positives of not drinking.

Congrats on your sober time... and I do hope you will post your progress. I look forward to hearing about your journey to staying sober and for you to share in my journey.

Take very good care of yourself... and do know, don't hesitate to see a doctor.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum! As was already mentioned, just take it one day (or minute, or hour) at a time. Lots of water, B vitamins (and a multi), and good food. It will take time for your body to reset itself, so expect some initial anxiety, tiredness, insomnia and irritability. Hang in there because it gets better each day.

Glad you've joined us - we're all in this thing together and we know what you're going through.:ghug3