Notices

Day 3, quitting again but the first time READY (New here)

Old 08-29-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3, quitting again but the first time READY (New here)

Hi all, I am new here. I am 27 years old and I realized a few months ago that I was an alcoholic. I had no idea before...

I had a moment of clarity when I looked on the patio from a week of drinking and it was just full of empty beer bottles. From 1 week....... packed....

When I met my husband 5 years ago I wasn't much of a drinker. We were still in our youth and partying at college parties etc, but it wasn't a habit. As time went on we began drinking every night because we both have insomnia and it seemingly helped and it then turned into a habit. 6 beers a night in the beginning, slowly over a few years, turned into a 12 pack for EACH of us. Suddenly I was exhausted every day and bloated.

I realized it was a problem when I looked at the patio that day and realized that I needed to stop this madness. Who knew that in time the 12 pack wouldn't turn into an 18 pack!?! And then what??? Chased by a bottle of vodka?? My father is a bad alcoholic, and I always promised myself I wouldn't be like him... and there I was... following in his footsteps.

I tried to quit right then and there. I quit for a total of 2 days and then started all over again. I then realized this was serious. I couldn't simply quit. Yep.... I then KNEW FOR SURE... addict. I tried to get the motivation again, but it was so hard to get. I had to get fed up enough with myself for being a drunk and destroying my body.

I finally got the nerve to quit 3 days ago. I decided to quit both of my vices. Smoking AND drinking. It has been rough, but I always promised I would quit smoking before my 30th birthday anyways. The worst part is at night. I just cannot sleep. I tried taking a long bath before bed, and started reading instead of sitting outside on the patio and smoking and boozing, but it isn't working. I am miserable, but I am NOT GIVING UP. I know the withdrawal is temporary and I just need to hold on... I just need to avoid that first drink and smoke at all costs.

I am very determined to quit. I am rewarding myself by taking the money I save by not smoking and drinking and putting it into an envelope each day. At the end of 2 weeks I will reward myself by spending it on something FUN and just for me. Something frivolous. Just to show myself how much money I am wasting.

I already feel better and I am dropping a lot of water weight (5 pounds in 3 days yikes) I feel energized even through the lack of sleep so I know it is already worth it.

My husband is a great guy, and a very supportive husband, but he is completely in denial for now and I have to do this alone until he is ready to make the changes in his life. I figured I can utilize this site and introduce myself to the community for some support since I am doing this without any programs (Just not into them). Nobody in my life knows I am an alcoholic, but none of my friends are party animals, so there is no point in airing my dirty laundry right now and feeling worse since they won't be bugging me to drink. I hope there is some good support here and I am looking forward to being a forum addict (lol) during the worst of my recovery.

So HI!!!

-Tiffy
Old 08-29-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome, Tiffy!

The way you are feeling is pretty normal for three days in. I don't think I could have kicked two addictions at once, but if you can, your body will thank you.

Have you considered any face-to-face support (AA, SMART, etc.)? A lot of us find it VERY helpful.

Glad to have you here with us.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR Tiffy. Sleep is a big issue and a reason people start and keep drinking. Was an issue for me. For most people it gets better fairly quickly.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 08-29-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tiffy

Welcome - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 08-29-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Hi Tiffy,

I quit smoking 15 years ago and would like to share two things with you. A co-worker of mine cheesed me off royally one day when he said he didn't understand why it was so hard to quit, because, "All you have to do is decide".

Ultimately, he's right, and it sounds like you've made a solid decision to stop. Keep that and hold that decision close to your core and things will get better and easier with time.

The other thing that helped was to keep saying to myself, "One equals many".

Look around this site as there are lots of different forums which contain much wisdom. Also, don't be afraid to seek our support if you need it

Murray
Old 08-29-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did one at a time but I did kick both! You CAN too!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grouch and Brainstorm

Welcome Tiffy, and good luck with your efforts.

My experience was that a "decision" to quit did not make a difference-- I was powerless over alcohol, and kept going back to it. Willpower only got me so far, because it was not just about the physical craving for alcohol-- even when it was out of my system, I was obsessed with it.

I do not mean to paint a bleak picture, I am simply sharing my experience that there are alcoholics of the hopeless variety who can only recover through finding a power greater than themselves. For me, it started with a decision to go to any lengths to stay sober. What I found surprising was that the lengths had less to do with "trying hard" and more to do with doing the 12 steps of AA, which helped connect me to a God of my understanding.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't 'do' AA but I agree that for me recovery has less to do with 'trying' and everything to do with acceptance of who and what I am.

Accepting I'm an alcoholic and accepting I cannot drink has helped me immensely - it took the fight out of it - and let me put all my energies into building a new me and a new life

D
Old 08-29-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Tiffy,

I'm glad that you are already feeling better after quitting drinking. Hopefully, you will begin to sleep better also. Many of us found it hard to sleep at first, and it is discussed here at SR often. I started sleeping again around day 4 although it varies from person to person.

Keep reading and posting if you have any questions or just want to "talk." And again, welcome!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tiffy
I am so glad you found SR. Sounds like you are very determined. I was very much like you in the fact that none of my friends drank. If you are having trouble sleeping you may want to see the doctor, there are a lot of non-addictive sleep aids available. Obviously drinking can put you to sleep but it may be helpful to look at your other activities and I ask yourself why you drank during those. Keep up the good work.
SH
Old 08-29-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!:ghug3 Yeah, the first few days are the worst, in my opinion. And after a week I was feeling more and more human. Keep at it, the results are worth the effort.