Notices

Goodbye and THANKYOU!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Goodbye and THANKYOU!

I just wanted to say Goodbye and THANKYOU!!
I'm 29 days sober and about to return to my old life. I quit alcohol on Saturday July 31st solely as an act of support and admiration for a friend whose life had completely imploded from drug and alcohol use. He will of course continue on but I will return to drinking alcoholic beverages. The last 29 days have shown me more than I ever could have imagined and I am absolutely convinced that from September 1st every single sip of alcohol will be a carefully measured decision.
I was amazed (horrified?) at how often my choice to not drink was so difficult to make. Also, how often I found myself feeling that if I could just have a drink, things would be so much "easier" or more "enjoyable". Damn! that was a scary realisation!
I used this forum when I felt like giving up, proud of my self-control, stressed out, bored, isolated from friends etc but I also used it to educate myself of the real consequences of out of control drinking.
I wish all of you the best and want you to know your posts helped SO MUCH .
Good bye and Good Luck!
BTW my friend is doing great and overcoming every obstacle he meets!!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Remember we are here if you ever need us--I went 30 days without booze four and a half years ago, but I found the problem kept rearing its ugly head.

Hopefully, your experience here will put you on the road to a healthy relationship with alcohol. Just keep staying honest with yourself, and you will be fine, either way.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Based on that doesn't seem like you had any problems drinking. It is interesting what you notice when you make a choice not to drink when thats what you were accustomed to. Makes you notice just how much alcohol is ingrained in our society.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All the best in your journey. Sometimes we need to stop and look around a bit. I sadly wish I did years ago before I had a problem. What I do know now is that I don't need alcohol to enjoy one thing in my life. Even from a social perspective.....I am a far better person without it. Kinda funny that this twisted road I have been on has been an awakening for me.

Wishing your friend all the best and know that we are always here