Notices

Bad Dreams of drinking out of nowhere

Old 08-28-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad Dreams of drinking out of nowhere

Lastnight I was having one of those kind of down Friday nights. No particular reason, I had a pretty decent week. By 9PM I was tired, bored etc. and frustrated because I was not doing what my freinds were doing on a Friday night...you probably all know what I am talking about. I had already hit up a meeting, did some reading and decided to call it a night.

Lastnight not only did I have a dream of drinking/using again, but I had two in a row. The first one happened and I woke up feeling crappy, but really thankful that it was just a dream and went back to bed. I had a 2nd one just as real and prolific as the first one and then i woke up this morning. I can still recall the dreams perfectly. The first dream, I had gone through a horrible blackout and my closest freinds were all telling me what a loser I was and all the horrible things I did to ruin my freinds wedding day. Then in the 2nd one, I was drinking and using in front of my dad-someone very close to me and he was not angry, but upset at the state I was in.

The scary thing is, the dreams were in succession to eachother. I woke up feeling wicked scared and depressed-like it really happened. And, after a good nights sleep I felt kind of tired, shaky-almost like I didnt go to bed sober.

But-now I feel good. I am not letting this get me down. Today is a beautiful day. I woke up sober and my alcoholic mind is still getting better. I have chosen to take that experience as a learning experience-to use it as reminder of how lucky and how thankful I am to be 237 sober instead of looking at myself not sober like my dreams were.

I think dreams like that are our minds trying to tell us things like-Hey remember how bad things were? Or, remember how bad things could get? Its like a motivating tool to pull you out of things and put things in perspective. I was having a tough friday and I feel like those dreams said to me-hey here's what would happen if you gave in Friday night to your cravings.

All the best
Old 08-28-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think those kinds of drunk dreams are just another type of nightmare. I think they are a good sign, in a way, because they aren't happy dreams of drinking, they are fearsome dreams where we wake up frightened for a moment.

I still have dreams of being unprepared for final exams for classes I forgot I'd registered for. Those dreams don't have any deep meaning in a literal sense--the last university courses I took were 26 years ago.

I think the dreams just mean we value our sobriety, and the thought of losing it is frightening. I haven't had any in awhile, but if I did, I wouldn't be unduly alarmed by them.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I still once in awhile get those, and I agree with Lex. I've never, to my recollection, had a good drunk/drug dream. Sorry you had it, glad you learned from it. God Bless
Old 08-28-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In my realm of experience those are common in early sobriety. I know I went through a phase like that, they seemed so real it was scary when I woke up. They passed for me and I haven’t had one in many months. I hope the same will be the case for you. It seems like you have the right attitude, keep in up!!
Old 08-28-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I thought I was past it, hadnt had one in a while. I think the thing that makes these strange is how vivid they can be. Lots of dreams i cant remember 30 minutes after waking up. These are still fresh in my mind. And, the thing I recall most were the thoughts of disbelief and desperation I had in the dream after realizing I drank/used again in the dream.

Phew-thank God for waking up sober though, that's all I can say.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to have lots of really vivid drinking dreams - about all aspects of drinking - and all in nightmare form. I dont get them any more (22 months sober), but still have lots of bad dreams that I think stem from certain insecurities about being sober.

I hope yours pass soon, too! And like the person above said, at least you wake up sober
Old 08-29-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm still in the first few weeks of my recovery but I've been having them as well. The worst one was actually just last night. I've been fasting for the past couple days as well and I had gone to bed soo happy that I've managed to stay sober this long, and with the fast I'm feeling 100% mentally and physically, never fealt so good that I could recall. Went to bed, I dreamed that I had drank, and I woke up within my dream telling myself it must have been just a dream, and got up and went to my desk to find empty beer cans everywhere, horrified it wasnt a dream I went back to bed all upset/depressed (all within this dream). Woke up after that and it actually took a few minutes for me being awake and confirming no empty beer cans for me to actually believe it was really just a dream.

As much as I hate these nightmares they do act as a reminder of where I was and could be. And the relief realizing it's just a dream makes me appreicate waking up sober even more.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm still having dreams of drinking. For last night's dream I would like to thank Jersey Shore and all the drinking they do while I'm sober LOL
Old 08-29-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Oddly enough I don't think I've had any of the drinking dreams since I quit.

I did a 30 day challenge for my diet where I cut out a lot of foods and I had dreams I ate prohibited things. Think I had a couple dreams a week if not more...would wake up horrified, then relieved.

No drinking dreams though. Like others wrote tho...prob not a bad thing HIgby. Nice job on all the sober days!