The dying art of customer service

Old 08-28-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The dying art of customer service

Yes, this is going to tie into codependency.

The vast majority of my jobs over the past 25+ years have been in customer service in one form or another.

It's an art, and it takes skill. There will be difficult customers, those you can't please, no matter what you do.

I have had to deal with my share of irate customers, and it takes self-restraint, and diplomacy.

That being said, before I really got into my recovery from codependency, I was a pushover for poor customer service on someone else's end.

I wouldn't voice my dissatisfaction about anything. I didn't want to make waves. That was uncomfortable for me. I figured I didn't deserve any better.

Last night I told Amber I was going to treat us to a steak supper, and then see the movie "Salt" here in town.

We could have driven to Wichita or Hutchinson to a steakhouse, but I told her we would go to the small steakhouse in a tiny town 12 miles north.

I like to keep my business local, and in the general area if I can.

They were busy as expected, only being open a 3 days a week.

The waitress was very pleasant, and although we had quite a wait for food, that was expected given how busy they were.

I had ordered my KC strip well done, and Amber had ordered her steak medallions medium.

Most places I know of will have you cut into your steak before they leave your table, but again, this is a small steakhouse, and was busy.

So, the further I got into my steak, the redder it got. I ate what I could around the edges.

Amber's medallions were overdone.

When the waitress brought back the check, I told her about the meat not being done as asked for either of us. She apologized, was obviously flustered, and said she would be back to get my Visa card.

They were not cheap. I didn't expect them to be. However, I could have gone to a steakhouse in Wichita where the customer actually gets to pick out his/her own cut of meat from the display case, and for almost 40% less than what this joint charges.

We continued to sit, waiting on her to come back for my card, and we were running out of time to make the movie.

Some guy finally comes up and asks if we would like him to run my card and I said "Yes, please." He was obviously some sort of management.

When he came back, he asked how the meal was, and so I proceeded to tell him, and very calmly, about my steak first. Twice I was told I should have sent it back to be cooked longer.

I told him very plainly that we were on a schedule to see a movie, and there wasn't time to send it back. I was not rude or short with him.

Then Amber told him her meat was overcooked, and he says "I'll bet they got the orders mixed up in the kitchen." We pointed out that we had two totally different entrees (she had steak medallions and salmon stuffed with crab).

No apology for the quality of the food, no 'what can we do to make this right', just excuses for two orders not cooked properly, and I 'should have' sent mine back.

Of course this was all after my card had been run for the charges.

Guaranteed the owner will get a letter from me in regards to the customer service. I will be civil. I also will never eat there again. I don't expect anything from writing the letter other than the satisfaction that I have stated my dissatisfaction with more than the food. That's it.

I encounter better customer service in a large city like Wichita than I do in my tiny podunk town.

So much of it is just common courtesy, but that too seems to be a dying art form.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

OMG! well, they do not know how to HANDLE bad comments then, and this is only been open a few days?...I wonder what would happen if you give it another week, and perhaps go back..tell them again...and then say..if the matter is not handled...you will tell you neighbours...(LOL), maybe that may get there attention...

I know once i went to this restaurant...had the worst meal ever about 8 years ago...the place finally shut down 2 months ago...if they would have taken your complaint seriously in the 1st place, and correct it...maybe MORE customers will come...IT GOES BY WORD OF MOUTH...rite?
Old 08-28-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fourmaggie View Post
OMG! well, they do not know how to HANDLE bad comments then, and this is only been open a few days?...I wonder what would happen if you give it another week, and perhaps go back..tell them again...and then say..if the matter is not handled...you will tell you neighbours...(LOL), maybe that may get there attention...

I know once i went to this restaurant...had the worst meal ever about 8 years ago...the place finally shut down 2 months ago...if they would have taken your complaint seriously in the 1st place, and correct it...maybe MORE customers will come...IT GOES BY WORD OF MOUTH...rite?
Actually they've been in business about 3 years. I said they were open 3 days a week (Thurs-Sat).

Apparently business is good enough that they've stayed afloat this long without being open every day.

The restaurant opens up into an adjoining bar/club where people can also sit to eat/watch tv at tall tables. The same person owns both businesses. I imagine the bar is the lionshare of their income.

At any rate, that was enough for me. I told Amber we'd head to Wichita next week for a re-do at The Texas Roadhouse.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One night we went to dinner on a terrace at a restaurant where the food was New Orlean's food. It was charming, until a rat ran through the terrace and under the feet of some people across the isle from us. A bit later a waiter person came by, and I stopped her and told her about the rat. The people across the isle nodded and said, 'yes, yes'.

She said: "Eeewww, how awful." Yes, it was awful, but I was expecting a little more concern, so I suggested she report it to the manager or owner. She said, "I'm the owner, eeeewww." And walked on.

Not the reaction I expected. I've never gone back.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((DeVon))) - I totally agree about the art of customer service dying. As you know, I work in a McD's. I'm used to treating my customers (yes, each and every one) as a human...not a wallet. I'm constantly being told I'm not moving fast enough (because I got a customer a straw, so he wouldn't have to walk over to the drink station to get one), or "pushed" to speed up.

This is where MY codie recovery comes in. I'm not working in a cattle-herding factory, and though I don't carry on long conversations with my customers, when it's busy, I WILL treat them with respect and listen to them. If their food is wrong, they get it re-done, often with something "free" thrown in. I've had several customers tell me they only come in when I'm working, because I'm "nice" and I talk to them.

It is causing a lot of frustration, on my part, and I am looking for another job, but I guess if I got fired because I was "too nice to the customers" that wouldn't be such a bad thing?

The sad part is, our store owner doesn't "get it". We've got people quitting left and right, and she just hires new people who don't stay there long. She talks down to us, as if we don't have a brain.

I'm glad you're writing the letter. I would, too. It may not change anything, but it lets them know they've lost a good customer, and if they don't get it together, they will probably lose more. Word of mouth goes a LONG way in a small town place

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-01-2010, 01:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Freedom, your post reminds me of a quote that I always kept in mind when I was working in retail: Goodwill is the one and only asset that competition cannot undersell or destroy. - Marshall Fields.

It lately does seem to be getting harder to find customer service reps who exemplify this idea. When I do find some one who provides excellent customer service, I try to let that person know I really appreciate their help and then drop a note or talk to a supervisor.... I have a really hard time saying anything about the less than helpful employees...

It's funny though, that I've gone back and forth on the big city vs. small town for good vs bad customer service. Some days I can clearly remember being treated well in any store in my grandparent's town (teeny, tiny town surrounded by farming community) and other days, I lean towards, the best customer service I ever received was when living in Seattle... At least for me, I guess it depends on the day and what set off the train of thought.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Forgot to ask if you got to see the movie or not? I'm a fan of re-doing nights out: oh, we didn't get a chance to have dessert this dinner out - let's go out for dessert next weekend.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Went into a store only yesterday and not a staff member in sight, walked round and there's 2 young chaps busy behind a display,.....busy at chatting about a footy game the night before. I looked at them and it would have been obvious to blind Freddy that I was looking for assistance, but did they take notice.....not a chance.

So forgot about ladylike behavior and whistled....long and loud, then called out "any one here know how to assist customers, or give a damn?" As the boss came racing over I told him I was done, and would not be back, and walked out the door. They lost out on couple of computer programs worth $375.

Mind you it isn't just the people serving who don't get what service means, it is those who should be training staff to do a good job. I figure if the bosses can't be bothered training and checking staff out, then I am not doing it for them.

As for ordering medium rare steak....hell some of mine tries getting off the plate and moos at me.

God bless
Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Customer Service around here is more like
the stories I remember hearing about communist Russia.

I've done that kind of work for thirty five years.

I'd have sent the steaks back,
and gong to micky d's before the flick.

But I tend to be that kind of person.

i think you did great,
and they were awful.

This is-
when WE were younger
p[eople in those kind of jobs
were making better than minimum wage.
nowadays
that's what theyre making.
And they've got more than one job just gto get by.

It's not an excuse,
just an observation.
And I think it makes a difference.

I remember watching the movie 'waiting' ...
and seeing some of the behavior I've seen in the food service business.

it'll make you think twice about ever going to a restaraunt again LOL

Anyway bla bla bla ... sorry - but I agree completely.