OT...The Zoo

Old 08-27-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile OT...The Zoo

This isn't anything earthshattering, but I felt the need to share it. My husband and I and my 2 grandchildren (3 & 6) that we have temporary custody of have spent the last 4 months trying to live a calm, peaceful life. My AD has been in rehab during this time, and will get out in November. We have been trying our darndest to put out lives back together, financially, mentally and spiritually. We have worked hard to do the next right thing. Work, staying on schedules, showing the children that there is a life without drama and chaos.

At the beginning of the summer the kids were wanting to go somewhere. There wasn't money to do it. So we started a zoo fund. We have saved our pennies, nichols, dimes and quarters all summer. We finally decided that we have enough money to go to the zoo. And that is what we are going to do tomorrow. The kids learned a little about saving for what they want. They were exstatic about planning their visit, and Nick the 6 year old helped me budget how we were going to spend the money. He was really quite good at it.

So tomorrow we will be at the zoo enjoying all the animals and just having fun for the day. Their momma was a little sad about missing out on them going, but they promised to take pictures of ALL the animals and show her at their visit on Sunday. My sister is going with us and my dear husband is happy to have the day off work and the house all to himself...LOL. The kids have decided that we will start saving now for our next outing next summer.

Sometimes life is good. I hope you all enjoy your weekend as much as I know we are going to.

Gotahavfaith
Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

What a great story! That is a great way to teach kids that saving money for a special function can be fun. It just makes it all that much more special. Too many kids these days want instant gratification and if they get it, they never learn the value of saving up money to do something you really want to do.

I hope you all have a great time tomorrow at the zoo!
Old 08-28-2010, 02:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Love this! We just went to the zoo last week! Thanks for posting!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stories like yours are the ones I grew up with, minus addiction. I remember my parents saving and planning, asking me if I want 'this' or a little extra money for our trip. I began to see every opportunity as an adventure waiting to happen and I still make the same decisions: do I want 'this' or a little extra money for my trip?

I hope you all enjoy a wonderful day and God bless you for creating memories like this
Old 08-28-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are not only teaching those grandbabies an important lesson with saving for the things you want, but you are making wonderful memories for them to look back on...

Bless you and your family, enjoy your day at the zoo!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. We really did have a good day. I am glad we got the chance to go. After a 14 hour day I am still recooping...lol.

Gotahavfaith