Notices

Food cooked with alcohol?

Old 08-26-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Food cooked with alcohol?

So, I am going to Connecticut next week to visit my family. My dad is talking about making these chickens in the grill, but you put a can of beer in them? FIrst off, I've never heard of such a thing. My co-worker says they come out really good and you can't even taste the beer. But, as soon as my dad mentioned this recipe, there was this red flag waving in my head. He doesn't know about my sobriety yet; I wanted to tell him when we were there. But, does eating food like that jeopardize or negate my sobriety? Should I ask him to make sure that there is something else there for me? Honestly, I am not even sure I would feel comfortable eating something like that, because i would feel like I am being dishonest to myself...

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I don't eat food cooked with alcohol.....
because i would feel like I am being dishonest to myself...
Me either.....
I don't compromise my recovery and that's what I know
I would feel like if I did eat such fare.

Hve a great sober visit.....
Yes it would be a good time to talk with your Dad.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't think it would bother me, but I'd probably try to eat something else. It would be a hazard to anyone taking Antabuse to stop drinking as the reaction can be violent.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The alcohol content will evaporate when its being cooked. I can see why people wouldn't want to eat it if they were trying to be sober, but personally I think thats taking it to a Nazi-magnitude level.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I've made this before, it's got a great name, "Drunken Chicken". The beer actually "steams" the chicken from the inside, as the grill cooks it from the outside. It was the most delicious/moist chicken I have ever had.. HOWEVER.. the same 'effect' (you can't taste the liquid used) can be gained with a can of juice, soda, etc.. the beer part of it has nothing to do with the recipe.

All that being said, this 'cooking with alcohol' deal comes up around here a lot. I think we all need to make the safest and most logical decisions about this as possible. I think Carol sometimes posts the rates of alcohol/cooking times.. smashing the urban legend that alcohol cooks out of food (it doesn't..unless the food is cooked for several hours at a super high temp.. that's the nutshell version).

Obviously if you have flags waving in your head, you're not comfy with consuming something made with alcohol. Though this recipe is unique in that the beer never actually TOUCHES the chicken, and isn't mixed in to it.. I think it raises a good point to think about and make some decisions about for the future, too.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

It wouldn't bother me, personally, but I always tell people if in doubt, don't. If you feel it would put you on dangerous ground, best not to take the chance.

And Least's point is well taken. Even minute amounts of alcohol can trigger an Antabuse reaction.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

The alcohol does not all evaporate in cooking, and I wouldn't knowingly eat something cooked like that, but it's a personal decision:

A study conducted by the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods. The results are as follows:

Preparation Method Percent of Alcohol Retained

alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%

baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:

15 minutes 40%
30 minutes 35%
1 hour 25%
1.5 hours 20%
2 hours 10%
2.5 hours 5%

Now, it may be that the amount of alcohol in a dish is modest to start with, but the fact that some of the alcohol remains could be of significant concern to recovering alcoholics, parents, and others who have ethical or religious reasons for avoiding alcohol.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I f cringe when I watch cooking shows....the Chef's
gaily pouring booze into a dish......even planning
it to be eaten by children.

:It all evaporates when alcohol is cooked"
not exactly.

The conventional wisdom accepted by just about everyone in the food world is that all the alcohol you add to a dish evaporates or dissipates during cooking. It’s wrong. In fact, you have to cook something for a good three hours to eradicate virtually all traces of alcohol. And some cooking methods are less effective at removing alcohol than just letting it stand out uncovered overnight.

A study conducted by the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods. The results are as follows:

Preparation Method Percent of Alcohol Retained

alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:

15 minutes 40%
30 minutes 35%
1 hour 25%
1.5 hours 20%
2 hours 10%
2.5 hours 5%
Old 08-26-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

^ I think you'll find many who disagree with you hidlid

You'll find a lot of opinions here Kristin - be true to yourself

D
Old 08-26-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When my husband cooked drunken chicken, I believe he cooked it a few hours in the smoker. I could still taste the beer, but, then, I have a pretty sensitive palate. For the record, I didn't care for the drunken chicken. It just wasn't my cup of tea. But, then, I am not a bbq fan at all.

My palate is sensitive enough I can identify the spices in foods, which helps me attempt to replicate the recipe. So, usually, if the recipe was made with alcohol, I can taste it. I won't even buy the Johnsonville Beer & Brats because I don't want to taste the beer.

If you're taking Antabuse, I wouldn't even go there. What a way to spend the weekend.

To Anna: I really appreciate what you posted. I have been *dying* for some bread pudding with rum sauce. I was worried, though, it would make me want to drink -- even though rum wasn't my drink of choice. That the alcohol remains after the cooking process is the perfect reason to find a sauce recipe that does not call for alcohol.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

LD.......here you go......

Booze Flavoring In Cooking
This was the September 2003 issue of theAA Grapevine.

Sweet or semisweet red wine - Carbonated cranberry drink.

Dry red wine - ½ cup carbonated cranberry drink, plus 1 Tbsp. lemon juice.

Sweet white wine - White grape juice plus 1 Tbsp. corn syrup.

Brandy - 1/4 cup apple juice plus 1 tsp brandy flavoring, or 1/4 cup apple cider with 1 tbsp peach or apricot syrup.

Rum - 1/4 cup apple juice plus 1 tbsp rum extract, or 1/4 cup pineapple juice or syrup flavored with 1 tbsp almond extract.

Sherry - Orange or pineapple juices with peach sirup.

Amaretto - 1 tbsp light corn syrup plus 1 tbsp almond extract and 1/4 cup clear apple juice.

Kirsch - Syrup or juices from cherries, raspberries, boysenberries, currnats or cider.
And here is an interesting link to check out

Substitutes for Alcohol in Cooking - GourmetSleuth
Old 08-26-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Hey Trixie....

really, it's up to you.....and you know, deep down, if it's ok or not. What some are fine with others are horrified by - and vice versa.

Look inside your self....feel for an answer.....meditate on it for a while. The answer will come to you.

Don't let anyone's recipe for their sobriety convince you to do something you don't agree with (whether that decision is that it's ok or it's not ok to eat food with booze in it).
Old 08-26-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I did talk to my sponsor about this as well. She said that it can go both ways, seeing as *supposably* the alcohol cooks off. However, with the red flags and stop signs I was seeing, she thought that I should really take that as a sign of what my subconscious is telling me. I think once it gets a little closer to the cookout, I am going to ask my dad if he will cook one chicken with (for everyone else) and either one without, or just make me hamburgers or something. I love cook outs and bbq food, so I am really easy to please.

I guess it's a good thing that I figured out a really good chicken and dumpling recipe that doesn't involve dry sherry...otherwise I would have two really unhappy boys (and by that I mean a 25 year old and a 35 year old) come this winter...lol.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bbr

I know what you should do... have your dad cook one with an O'Douls
Just kidding.
The non-alcoholic beer discussion is another thread that keeps popping up causing lots of discussion.

BBR
Old 08-27-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Trixie, I got to wondering if any canned carbonated beverage would do the trick in cooking the chicken. So I did a google search with the words "drunken chicken without beer." I found a website where a guy was talking about using Dr. Pepper in lieu of the beer. Maybe you could talk your dad into experimenting. I would think any soda pop would work; each would just lend a little different flavor.

I am sure you've said, but I can't remember, if your parents know you've Quit or not. If they know, they'll probably be very supportive of you needing not to eat food prepared with beer. If they don't know of your Quit, you can still use the antabuse excuse. Tell them you've got some sort of infection and the doctor prescribed antibiotics that will make you hoark if you get near any kind of alcohol. I've taken this kind of antibiotic a few times, so I know it exists.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Personally, I wouldn't eat it, because it could jeopardize recovery. I would try to speak with you Dad, in advance, if possible and explain the situation. This will allow him time to cook something else without alcohol, as well as the Dunkin Chicken for those who don't mind.

Have a great time with your family... and great forward thinking on your part!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by trixieisme View Post
with the red flags and stop signs I was seeing, she thought that I should really take that as a sign of what my subconscious is telling me.

Re-learning to listen to ourselves is one of the skills we need to hone in sobriety. If you're like me, you spent a lot of time drinking to desensitize yourself from fears, anxiety, guilt, boredom...etc. We learned to cope by blocking out the feelings. Reconnecting with those feelings is difficult at first...and sometimes it's downright scary. That's ok though....it's part of the deal and everyone goes through it sooner or later.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My biggest problem with alcohol in food is not that I will be exposed to the small amount that I may ingest, that rarely happens because I rarely eat out. My big problem is I AM the cook 99% of the time and if I choose a recipe that calls for alcohol, there I am in the kitchen face to face with a bottle of alcohol!

It never worked. A sukiyaki recipe that called for sake turned out great: unfortunately, I got drunk. Another time I tried a tapas recipe that called for a stuffed pork fillet to be cooked in white wine. The recipe was delicious....but, I drank that time too.

Now I don't use alcohol in any recipes. And, I have found that substitutes work very well. You really can't taste the alcohol in most dishes and it really doesn't detract from the recipe. I have a Chinese cookbook that calls for sherry with almost every recipe. I use in place of that non-alcohol rum essence mixed with a small amount of vanilla syrup and it is a great sub for sherry.

sorry for going off topic: my advice trixie is to request some of the chicken cooked without the beer. And, use that request as a way to break the wonderful news to your dad that you aren't drinking. You can even tell him before the weekend, so that he can also provide non-alcoholic beverages to you for the meal.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

As of yet, I have not eaten food with alcohol in it (but still use real vanilla for baking, which is 35% alcohol!). However, when I first got sober, my counselor (who is 20 years sober with no slips) told me not to worry about eating something cooked with alcohol. That unless it would be a mental trigger, the alcohol cooks off and should not trigger the physical craving.

I don't cook with it like I used to, but I would eat it.

I have heard those chickens are amazing. But NA beer would work just as well.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Idiot!

I would not bother - just in case - I would not do anything to risk losing this - no matter how small the risk.

Not worth it just for a bit of dinner or am I mad?