Notices

Anyone believe everything happens for a reason??

Old 08-26-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Unhappy Anyone believe everything happens for a reason??

For those of you who don't already know this, my sister was supposed to get married tomorrow. I've made it through the parties and events without drinking and my last hurdle was going to be the wedding. Last night was the rehearsal dinner, and after it was over the fiancee tells her he doesn't want to marry her. At this point the wedding is 30 hours away. So sister calls me at 12:30 at night on the side of the road crying and I have to go get her. Rewind to the dinner. Everyone was drinking. There was EVERYTHING you couldve wanted. When we left my husband came home and had a few more drinks while I worked on my maid of honor speech. I never ever believed in everything happening for a reason, but I sure do now. If I had been drinking, I wouldnt have been able to help my sister. Or I wouldve risked our lives when I went to get her. I truly believe in a higher power and am so thankful that I stopped drinking when I did. These kinds of stories I believe are inspirational, and that is why I wanted to share. Thanks for listening. Now I have to go call 215 guests to tell them theres no wedding, get rid of her wedding dress so she doesnt have to see it, and cancel EVERYTHING while trying to mend her shattered heart.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

being present for family... nothing better that.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Omg Julez! I am so sorry for your sister! Thank God you are sober to help her! Can weform a posse and go beat the crap out of the fiance? Its one thing to call off a wedding but at the 11th hour??? *******!

I do think things happen for a reason...its something I work hard at reminding myself of when crap happens!

Hugs to you and your sister!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

there is still time.....it life is like sitcoms....the wedding may still happen. Kidding aside I am sorry for your sisters situation but I am happy for you. I agree. Being sober at the right time is awesome. I keep driving around saying to myself, so where are all the DWI stop checks? I would love to go through one right now and be asked if I was drinking. I can say yes I was, 16 days ago.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I do believe that things happen for a reason, always have.

Sorry to hear about the situation, but happy you were there for your sister and will be able to continue to be there for her. Be VERY proud of yourself for that.

Take care...
Old 08-26-2010, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Geeze how awful for your sister, and many gratz on being able to help and support her.:ghug3 to both.

Suzie x
Old 08-26-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry about your sister and good for you for being there and being sober! I do think things happen for a reason and so I think it's better to be 'left at the altar' than have to go through a bad marriage and wind up divorced.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your sister.. that must be so hard to deal with. Thank goodness she has you (sober) to help and support her through this. You are awesome!!

Old 08-26-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Thanks for sharing. Isn't it great to be able to be present for people today?

As far as everything happening for a reason, hell yes i believe that, and the reason is simply cause. I believe in cause and effect, karma. All that happens is the cause of all that happens...
Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Augustwest, if what you say about karma is true then I hope the ba*tard rots in h**l!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

What a mess to have deal with!

And, yes, I am sure everything happens for a reason. And, your sister is better off finding out about this guy's true colors before they married.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=LaFemme;2691409] Can weform a posse and go beat the crap out of the fiance? Its one thing to call off a wedding but at the 11th hour??? *******!

QUOTE]

Count me in...
Old 08-26-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

some things happen for a reason....
some don't...

I like to believe that not drinking so you could help your sister out happened for a reason.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Julez, I am so sorry to hear this. I know how much you have been putting into this wedding! I am so glad you were sober so you could go get her. Yes, things definitely happen for a reason.

Sorry about the phone calls you have to make...you are a great sister! Keep up your hard work.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jabbadabutt View Post
there is still time.....it life is like sitcoms....the wedding may still happen. Kidding aside I am sorry for your sisters situation but I am happy for you. I agree. Being sober at the right time is awesome. I keep driving around saying to myself, so where are all the DWI stop checks? I would love to go through one right now and be asked if I was drinking. I can say yes I was, 16 days ago.
That's great!!! I love it!!! You have a great day and thanks for the smile you've put on my face today I will have to use it..
Old 08-26-2010, 08:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coming_clean View Post
some things happen for a reason....
some don't...

I like to believe that not drinking so you could help your sister out happened for a reason.
I agree...this was *divine intervention*...I hope your sister will rise to the top and meet someone who is truly worthy of her. You are of clear mind to help and support her and keep your family together.

send the Flock-wad the bill for the reception and donate the food to the local soup kitchen....I'm sure your sister will come to realize in time how she narrowly escaped marrying a worthless jerk...(i hope she had trip insurance for the honeymoon)
Old 08-26-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

for your sister and for you

I'm so glad you are able to help her deal with
this painful situation.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am one that believes that some things do happen for a reason. Good for you that you were able to be sober for your sister when she needed you the most.

Maybe there is also a reason for what happened with the wedding being called off by the fiance. If he was so earger to quit now, what kind of a marriage would she had have with him in the future.

God works is mysterious ways.

Harry
Old 08-26-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Isn't it wonderful when you need to be sober and you are? It makes you feel wonderful, and you are wonderful for keeping your quit.

Quick thought: If the wedding dress can't be returned for a refund, hold onto it until your sis is ready to decide what to do with it. She'll have to figure out how to return all the gifts to the guests anyway. I know you feel for her and want to protect her, but doing stuff like this for yourself is a good lesson in life. And, she may not agree with how you've disposed of things, which could cause resentment.

And, like Jabba said, the wedding may still take place. You said everyone was drinking. As you and I both know, alcohol can fuel a lot of weird events. Then, a few hours later, everything's hunky-dory again.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Anyone believe everything happens for a reason??

EVERY SINGLE TIME!

I just most often don't see it at that moment.......

WHY?

because I am stubborn, or defiant, or think I know a better way, or don't have an open mind, or my ego is in the way, or I won't take advice/direction, or my mind tells me continuous lies...

The list can be increased ad naseum.....

SO, I have found this helpful:

God, take me where you want me to go,

help me meet who you want me to meet,

tell me what you want me to say,

AND KEEP ME OUT OF YOUR WAY!