Notices

New to the site : )

Old 08-25-2010, 09:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site : )

Hello everyone. I hope I am posting this in the right spot. My name is Porcelina and I am an alcoholic. I am 37 years old with 2 daughters whom are 8 and 6. I have been married for 10 years this November but that will change if I can't stay sober. I am a binge drinker. I can usually go for about 2 weeks but then I need to binge. Sometimes it could go into a second day as well. I don't understand why I have this problem. It is keeping me from living a normal, productive life. I hate having this monkey on my back, it is sooooo powerful. I don't have many friends that don't drink so my goal here is to meet some sober friends and get support. It would be so nice if I could meet some sober friends to actually go out with , like to the movies, out for coffee, stuff like that. Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here. You will find lots of support here. You are not alone. We do recover.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Porcelina - good to have you with us! I understand that "need" to take a drink. I started off binge drinking but then kept adding on days here and there until I had a constant urge that I had very little power to resist.

You're not alone and it's great that you recognize the power alcohol has over you now (because it does get worse if we continue to drink). Support is really essential because none of us can do this on our own. So keep posting and reading - this is a great place!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Then the bird said 'Nevermore'

Hi Porcelina!Beautiful name by the way! You have come to a great place for the support you are looking for.. and NEED! Read as much as you can, you will quickly learn that you are NEVER alone! I am so happy you are here, one step closer to freeing yourself from addiction and taking your life back! Welcome

xoxo
Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of support here. You did post in the right spot. As far as meeting people to socialize with...you my here, but what about going to face to face meetings like AA? Or something similar? Then you will meet sober (theoretically ) people in your area. Either way stick around!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
xuse

welcome lots of support and understanding here
Old 08-25-2010, 10:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have tried AA but it just seems to depress me. I am hoping to find someone on here that lives near me though, that would be great. Thanks for your welcome!

Porcelina
Old 08-25-2010, 10:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Porcelina

It can be hard to change - but it's not impossible at all
A day at a time was the key for me...

You'll find so much support here

D
Old 08-26-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We understand and just know that you can get sober! There is so much support here. Whenever I felt any urge or loss of hope, I would come here and remind myself that I can get through those moments of doubt. You CAN be sober for good!! Post here and come here often! Trust me
Old 08-26-2010, 04:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....

Are you saying you only drink alcohol
once every 2 weeks?
If so....you might want to see a professional to deal
with underlying reasons for these binges.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 08-26-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for support and useful information.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grouch and Brainstorm

Hi Porcelina, and welcome.

It's great that you are reaching out for help, and I'm sorry, but not completely surprised, that you tried AA and found it depressing.

I needed to get clear on my relationship with alcohol, which for me meant understanding that I was powerless over it. It did not matter that I didn't drink every day, or that I wasn't drunk in the gutter-- I always went back to it, and when I did, I could not predict what would happen.

This last sentence-- always going back to it, and not being able to predict what will happen-- is key in determining anyone's relationship with alcohol.

It's incredibly counter-intuitive for humans to admit powerlessness. The word suggests defeat and weakness, an inability to take care of oneself.

So rather than admit that, I continued the power struggle with alcohol. How could a substance be more powerful than me? It was crazy.

And yet, with astonishing predictability, I lost that battle. And then someone told me that by admitting my powerlessness, I could begin the process of finding a power that would relieve me of this maddening obsession.

So, I suggest that you really look at your relationship with alcohol. What goes on prior to the binges? Have you ever had success in not drinking? What were you doing then? I think Carol made a good suggestion of trying to talk to a professional as well.

I'm grateful that I know the answer, and it's simple. Because I then was able to get about the business of saving myself. And it was through AA that I did so-- not necessarily the meetings you were disappointed in, but the recovery process of the 12 steps.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi hun,

Welcome to SR we have chat rooms you can come in and speak in real time with other members, it helps pass the time. You will find a lot of support here.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Porcelina, welcome to SR. This is a great place to give and receive support. I didn't think I knew anyone that didn't drink when I stopped drinking I was happily suprised to realize that most people I knew didn't drink like me. It seems to me we attract our "own kind" so when I was a drunk I attracted other heavy drinkers and now that I don't drink I attract people who either don't drink or who are just light drinkers.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would drink more if I could, trust me!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your welcomes. I loolook forward to chatting with all of you and staying sober with you all : ) I am seeing a profession al as well. Thanks again!

Porcelina