Notices

Vodka was my elevator to the bottom

Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vodka was my elevator to the bottom

I thought I would start a new thread here because as I have read posts here for a good while, I noticed a common thread that vodka was a huge culprit in many people's struggle. I know it was for me and was wondering if anyone else had a similiar issue that wanted to talk about it.

Personally, I was 'relatively' under control with drinking beer or wine (not saying I didn't have a problem cause I did) but add some vodka.....bad things would happen. At the end it almost got to be predictable that I would way over do it with the vodka and get into trouble. I would chug it out of the bottle and chase it with a beer or water, whatever, then graduated into chuggin it straight. I always fooled myself into think that one gulp was a shot (so 1 to 1.5 oz) but in reality it was probably 4-5oz. A few of those and I would say I only had 2 drinks!! But then the damage was done becuse they would build up on me with the beers and whaaaammmmooo......dumb *ss.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel your pain. I started with beer and wine also but once I "graduated" to drinking hard liquor, there was a clear shift in the kind of drunk I was. Madness always follows. Very regrettable behavior. I hope to kick this thing and am back on Day 1. I wish you success.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You too. I made it 15 days so far. It ain't easy but this place here has really helped.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't think it's vodka, per se, or any hard liquor that is the "culprit" in alcoholic drinking. The deal is, the disease is progressive. If you didn't go to the vodka, you would have eventually increased the consumption of the beer or wine, to the same effect.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh I agree with you Lexi. I am not pointing the finger at a particular type of the poison. I am pointing the finger at me and yes, there were times when I drank enough beer or wine to equal the vodka....but just saying that I see a common thread bewtween our problems and vodka, rather than other alcohols, especially for closet drinkers.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, I can definitely say that I "graduated" to drinking straight vodka to drink less and still get completely drunk. In the end, it was simply more economical.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It took less time, although for me is was more expensive because the better the vodka the less hangover effects. But I could pace myself and drink about half a bottle a night and not have to hide 10 more empty cans or bottles of beer. It mixes with everything, and I could drink it staight and follow it with something if I were in a rush. I think the major problem with me drinking vodka is it was never an exact measurement when I drank it. Sometimes I would pout extra stiff, other times I couldn't tell it was in the cup. The reason why vodka became my worst enemy was because it made it easier for me to get drunk faster and easier to hide it. I'm not exactly sure when I added vodka into my drinking regimen, it was right after I decided the rum was giving off an odor and gave me a headache, but before that I was primarily a beer drinker who would binge and drink 20 in a sitting any given weekend. Maybe I matured into it. Either way, Vodka was the last progression for me.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was 14, I got alcohol poisoning from Vodka. Who would have thought, 11 years later, it would be one of my favorite things to drink? It could go with anything. Earlier in my drinking career, it was the twisted teas and stuff like that, then went to beer, and then finally added in the vodka, because it could be cheap and, like i said, went with anything.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started with beer. However, before long, I drank a 12 pack of beer every single night of my life. I live in one of those white trash-ville neighborhoods. Me and a bunch of other drunks would drag out our lawn chairs and sit out there and hoot and holler all night. Ever driven through one of those neighborhoods where people started yelling at you as you cruised through? <cough, cough> That was me. We'd throw our beer cans at people who didn't belong in our 'hood.

Even drinking only 12 beers, I believed I "needed" every last one of those beers to get to sleep that night. All the other alkies knew not to even ask me for a beer. I'd tell them to kiss my back cheeks real quick.

Then, I started getting fat. Lemme tell ya something: Nothing is uglier than a fat drunk. So I decided to switch to hard liquor because I figured I could drink less of it and still get just as drunk. Ergo, I'd still be getting drunk, but I'd be consuming fewer calories. That I'd lose weight just made sense. <giggles>

Like others have said, once I went to hard liquor, the kind of drunk I was changed. I became secretive and wanted to stay home more. Drinking liquor in bars was way too expensive. Besides that, I still had enough sense to know I was too impaired to drive.

The upside is I lost my drunk flab. I am a 5'6" small-framed female. I went from about 150 lbs. (the height of my beer blubber) to 80 lbs. I looked sick, and I was sick.

I had a drinking problem with or without the hard liquor. I'm probably lucky I switched over to hard liquor and made myself really sick before something really bad happened. I think it would have taken me longer (if ever) to quit drinking if I had just stuck with beer. I often hear people say their drinking is okay because it's just beer--even though their drinking a case of beer a night. I can see myself painting my addiction that way.

I hope you don't mind me posting on your vodka thread being as I wasn't an exclusive vodka drinker. I did drink vodka, though. Along with gin, scotch, tequila, and whatever else I could get my grubby little hands on.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Red face

vodka was always my drink of choice once i had got to the stage of drinking alone and not socially - i never drank it when i used to go out to pubs etc! There has always been a myth about vodka that it does not smell on your breath, but it does and it reaps through your pores - i would got to my newsagents 6'30am each morning and buy a bottle - just to crash out and sleep into oblivion, until i woke and could stumble to the nearest supermarket for more. That was my life, sorry existance, until 2006 - i wanted to die and oblivioun was the nearest i could get to it. I had lost my children, but thankfully i now have them back. It is a miracle i am here today x
Old 08-25-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lildawg View Post
I started with beer. However, before long, I drank a 12 pack of beer every single night of my life. I live in one of those white trash-ville neighborhoods. Me and a bunch of other drunks would drag out our lawn chairs and sit out there and hoot and holler all night. Ever driven through one of those neighborhoods where people started yelling at you as you cruised through? <cough, cough> That was me. We'd throw our beer cans at people who didn't belong in our 'hood.

Even drinking only 12 beers, I believed I "needed" every last one of those beers to get to sleep that night. All the other alkies knew not to even ask me for a beer. I'd tell them to kiss my back cheeks real quick.

Then, I started getting fat. Lemme tell ya something: Nothing is uglier than a fat drunk. So I decided to switch to hard liquor because I figured I could drink less of it and still get just as drunk. Ergo, I'd still be getting drunk, but I'd be consuming fewer calories. That I'd lose weight just made sense. <giggles>

Like others have said, once I went to hard liquor, the kind of drunk I was changed. I became secretive and wanted to stay home more. Drinking liquor in bars was way too expensive. Besides that, I still had enough sense to know I was too impaired to drive.

The upside is I lost my drunk flab. I am a 5'6" small-framed female. I went from about 150 lbs. (the height of my beer blubber) to 80 lbs. I looked sick, and I was sick.

I had a drinking problem with or without the hard liquor. I'm probably lucky I switched over to hard liquor and made myself really sick before something really bad happened. I think it would have taken me longer (if ever) to quit drinking if I had just stuck with beer. I often hear people say their drinking is okay because it's just beer--even though their drinking a case of beer a night. I can see myself painting my addiction that way.

I hope you don't mind me posting on your vodka thread being as I wasn't an exclusive vodka drinker. I did drink vodka, though. Along with gin, scotch, tequila, and whatever else I could get my grubby little hands on.
No its okay, I like hijackers....just not on my flight to LA.

I can relate to 'the kind of drunk I was changed" - yeah, I changed too....from a drunk to a really drunk, drunk. No change really, just the level of insanity.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree that there is something qualitatively different about the vodka:

1. It's more portable, so you can take it to work without anybody noticing.
2. You can drink it quickly and get drunk without knowing what hit you.
3. It enters the blood quickly, and I always had the feeling that it leaves the blood more quickly, too. The craving for more seems to come faster. This also meant that I could drink a lot more without slurring or falling over.
5. Doesn't give the same type of hangover -- after a night with vodka, I'd always wake up nervous and shaky, but with no headache. The cure for this particular hangover, as all of you know, is 1-4 breakfast beers.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I preferred wine, but I always considered myself an "equal opportunity drinker"....I liked vodka and cranberry, vodka and grapefruit, 3 glasses of wine followed by 4 large vodkas, never beer, it was "too fattening"
Old 08-25-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yea, light beer is what I started with, then regular beer because I wasn't getting drunk enough, then wine for less calories and a good buzz, then I just started drinking whatever I could buy. a pint of vodka and juice? no... juice will ruin the feeling, dilute it! .. Had to just be vodka. Shot after shot chasing with beer. Then later have a glass of wine. Eewww what a hangover!!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Smile

well i drank anything near the end - even a bottle of CK one! To be honest, vodka was just the quickest fix for me - in the mornings i would spew up my first drink back into bottle then keep trying til i could keep it down as i couldnt wait to get home i drank it as soon as i bought it - down a nearbly lane - horrendous
Old 08-25-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My points above are only true only for unmixed vodka, by the way. I never mixed mine with coca cola or anything like that. Sugar is very bad for you.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

In my "early days" of drinking, I'd try anything. After all, what alcoholic ever turned down a drink? I found, though, that if I started on the hard liquor I was in danger of blacking out or getting sick. So.... I began to stick to wine and beer, thinking it would fill me up and I'd quit drinking sooner in the evening (haha, right!).It was a pain getting rid of all those beer cans. Now I usually have two garbage cans at the curb, instead of three.My very worse hangovers came from drinking Everclear - I actually bought a bottle to clean out electronic cigarettes (an attempt to quit smoking), and when I stopped using them I just couldn't let the bottle go to waste, no matter how badly I felt the next day. Even one or two shots of that stuff gave me hangovers like I'd been drinking gasoline. Still, I finished off the bottle eventually.

Oh my.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nlogax View Post
My points above are only true only for unmixed vodka, by the way. I never mixed mine with coca cola or anything like that. Sugar is very bad for you.
I totally agree
Old 08-25-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i was on brown liquors for awhile but they gave me terrible headaches the next day.

i got on vodka and loved it.

too much.

switched to large boxes of pinot grigio and drank enormous amounts every night to equal the amount of vodka.

finally settled back on vodka. filled up a clear water bottle with it every evening. sit it beside me with a real bottle of water. take a big slug off the vodka and a big slug off the water.

in my mind the water not only helped the vodka (90 or 100 proof) go done but i was doing the responsible thing by drinking water since alcohol dehydrates you....boy was i practicing good health.

i just found the vodka to be the most proficient way of reaching 'pass-out' level every night.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ok, I'm not sure I agree with the premise of this thread. maybe I don't get it.

I started as a beer guy - then I switched to cask wine because it was cheaper and easier to carry....and this began my lost year or two.

It wasn't the wine that did it IMO...my alcoholism just found a way to progress to the next level...and I found a way to get drunker quicker more cheaply and not have to go out so much.

D