Notices

Day 7 :-)

Old 08-25-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 :-)

I can't believe I made it this far!!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

a week of sobriety makes a huge difference in your mental and physical health doesn't it? if you stay this way, you will never have to undergo that crappola feelings of withdrawal again...and from a practical point of view you are saving big cash.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey congrats! A week under your belt. You can do anything now!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eremc08 View Post
I can't believe I made it this far!!
You are a rockstar--- keep it up
Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great work. Isn't it great when everyday breaks your personal best. I am glad you are finding the inspiration and help you need, keep at it.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I'm so happy for you! Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Excellent willpower... and don't you feel SO much better, which is one of the greatest incentives. Continue the positive outlook on your new journey of freedom.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A week is great! Oh, how many times I tried to make it that far.

Congratulations, and remember you never have to drink again.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats, and remember that reading about your success helps the rest of us!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
part time member

Congratulations on the 1 week. As I remember, that first week is the worst and now it is behind you. Remember...don't drink today.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

And don't it feel good? I'm so happy for you. Remember exactly how this feels, if you keep a personal journal somewhere on line or on paper write in it-- write down how proud you are of yourself, write about how ecstatic your husband is with you, write about what the world looks like without the booze clouding it, write about you felt when you woke up this morning & that incredible sense of awe you have about what life can hold now. Write it down so you will have it to read again for when things don't feel quite so shiny & new at some point, okay? It'll really help. You'l have yourself telling yourself how awesome it is. That is something nobody else can do for you.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Great job! One thing I told myself at the end of my first week was, "OK, now you've made it a week. You've proven that you can do it. So no more excuses from here on out. No whining about how hard it is, because if you've already done it, you know you can do it again." Keep it up!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
Great job! One thing I told myself at the end of my first week was, "OK, now you've made it a week. You've proven that you can do it. So no more excuses from here on out. No whining about how hard it is, because if you've already done it, you know you can do it again." Keep it up!
I absolutely Agree!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well yes YOU did! YOU did it! No one else. YOU and only YOU! Way to go! Great job on Week One!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So proud of you!!! It gets even better, so keep your focus going forward (one day at a time) and go get some carry-out from a favorite restaurant! (that was my little reward, anyway).

Glad you're sharing this journey with us - together we can take our lives back again.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go eremc

D
Old 08-25-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The week is a big one. Congrats!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Great work Eremc -

We are all proud of you.

Now you know what it feels like to be sober and I'm sure you want to keep it.

What many of us experience right now (once the physical stuff is over) is a feeling that "we've got this thing solved" or worse yet "well, I wasn't actually so bad."

Just like I tell any new employee, you will hit a wall when it becomes hard. If you know the wall is coming, you can expect it, plan for it, and perhaps avoid it (although this is rare).

In alcoholism, you've probably heard us talk of this great feeling as a "pink cloud" and then the feeling of negativity that often comes soon afterwards (= post acute withdrawal syndrome -- P.A.W.S.).

The point is that we need to leverage the great accomplishment and great motivation into ACTION.

For folks on SR, this action takes many forms. For me, it was AA + SR + helping other alcoholics.

Now, with all that said, I thought that it (it = powerlessness, that I couldn't do it just with will power, need for an active program of recovery) was B.S. for my first 6 months of sobriety. I still believed that "I was special" and that "I could use will power to overcome it." I didn't really take action.

I was wrong. At my 6 months birthday, I relapsed mentally and almost physically.

Afterwards, I dove in head first to my program of recovery.

When you see the successful people on SR or elsewhere who don't use AA or another program of recovery, it may seem like they aren't taking action -- but this is far from the truth. They are usually working very hard on the reasons why they drank - through counseling, being awesome moderators on SR (), or other group therapy.

So, I don't want to take anything away from your accomplishment -- because IT IS AWESOME.

But, as someone who cares about everyone who is excited and thrilled with the early days of sobriety, I want you to keep it. Any anything worth keeping, takes work to keep it.

Recovery is surprisingly fun for me. A couple of a weeks ago, while out with another couple, one of my friends remarked "you are really funny, and you aren't even drinking!" (While I think his drinking had something to do with his judgment, I just laughed.)

Yes, life is good without alcohol and drugs. Keep it up!