Notices

Newcomers to Recovery

Old 08-24-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomers to Recovery

I just signed up at this site in the hopes of getting some support and encouragement. I'm a recovering heroin, methadone addict and haven't used either for over a year. The last time I used heroin, I overdosed and almost died, so I don't intend to use again, it's just not worth the risk. My main problem is that I hurt my back in a car accident 6 yrs ago and am in horrible pain most of the time. I take codeine or drink occasionally to help ease the pain, and I can't seem to stop. I've had periods where I've started taking them everyday and got dependent on them. Then I had a really hard time getting off of them, so I just take them once in a while. I really want to stop altogether, but haven't been able to. I know I'm depressed because of the constant pain, and I'm self medicating. I feel like I don't have a life right now. I can't work because of my back, and I don't feel up to doing anything but sit at home and feel sorry for myself. I used to go to AA/NA meetings, but all the drug talk was a trigger for me. I felt more like using after I'd go to the meetings. Thank you all for listening to me, I really enjoy reading all your posts and am getting a lot out of them.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi seattlecz

Have you spoken to any pain management doctors?

There's a lot of treatments out there that are suitable for people with addiction histories...

I think anything is better than going round and round with self medication.

I encourage you to read our substance abuse and our pain management in recovery forums as well

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Recovery and Pain Management - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome to SR
D
Old 08-24-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

Yes, I agree with Dee, that you should talk to your dr about pain management and find out what alternatives are available to you. Are there any pain management clinics in your area? Do any of the otc things help at all?

I hope you keep posting and let us know how are you doing.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies. My doctor has only prescribed naproxen, which is aleve, an over the counter medication. It doesn't help at all. I'll ask her about sending me to a pain management doctor. I hope my insurance covers it. I have lousy insurance, it wouldn't cover physical therapy or chiropractic. Thanks for your help.
Cheryl
Old 08-26-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Seattle...Welcome!
yes, ditto on pain management support...I live with a chronic pain condition and depression is a big problem for people ...I would address the depression also.