Notices

Trying To Absorb It All...

Old 08-24-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Trying To Absorb It All...

Hello -

You will have to pardon me. Reading all of your stories has been a bit overwhelming for this newbie. So much so, that I'm not really sure how to tell my own. I will give the basics and detail more as I become stronger.

I was five days sober until last night. It was a not-so-pleasant anniversary of something on top of a bad weekend. No excuses. I'm not beating myself up about it because, for the first time, I am being honest about and to myself. For the very first time, I awoke this morning and knew, really *knew*, I had done wrong by drinking last night. Something clicked and I am ready to begin again in earnest.

I am not an every day drinker. I binge. Beer is my poison. We meet up to attack my liver 2 to 3 times a week. Usually 6-8 beers. I am aware enough to know that once I go over 9, I have a date with the bathroom. So ... yeah ... there's that. <insert eye roll here>

Coming to Sober Recovery is my first big step. : I know many of you will have helpful suggestions. I welcome those. Thank you for allowing me into your community. I look forward to sharing with and supporting you.

Today is Day 1 of my MindShift.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

if you feel compelled you gotta do something, coming here is a way to start doing it. welcome
Old 08-24-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, sincerely, for responding. I am glad to be here. Quite, actually.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome!! I remember the relief I felt when I could first say "ok, I give up..you win, I surrender" and changed my life. Glad you're here.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on your discovery from last night! Have a great day 1 and keep reading and posting what you're going through. It's very helpful!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MindShift

I remember, as bad as I felt and as scared as I was, I smiled a lot the day I found SR.

You'll find a lot of support here - and a lot of suggestions on where to go and what to do if you find you need more help and support.

Welcome
D
Old 08-24-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dee74: I felt nauseated after I hit publish, but now I'm smiling. Well after I calmed down the anxiety attack and went for a walk. ;-D

EREMC08: Thank you! I am certainly trying to. They say, "baby steps" when starting something new. I think I'll just sit and observe a bit before I start stepping anywhere.

Smacked: Indeed. That was certainly me 5 days ago. I just surrendered to the fact that it has a grip on me that I can't manage with it in my life. So I'll manage without it. And I'm okay with that. Especially after last night. It really showed me how ready I am.

Thank you for the welcome.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Try not to sit too much on the sidelines.....it has helped me immensely to be active and post here...soemtimes to "get it all out" and sometimes to encourage other people in their battle. I often notice typically 50 people on here at a time or more, and only about 5-10 posting......so there obviously are a lot of observers perhaps trying to decide if they have a problem. I was one of those people for awhile. I made the jump like you and glad i did it.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It didn't overwhelm you with all the stories and information being tossed about? Since this is my first day here, I guess I meant that I want to see how the flow of the boards go and participate when I feel comfortable. I don't want to be *that person* that vocally vomits on everyone only to have them pass my posts by. Ya know? Is that silly?
Old 08-24-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is a little overwhelming at times but read the posts that interest you, ask the questions you want, reply to those that you can help, share what you want. I would not be afraid to "vomit" on the forum.....it's better than vomitting due to your hangover or drinking.....and we understand. There are some ground rules here (stickys up there point you in the right direction) and you may end up making some friends......and some that you may ruffle the feathers. I have been there but EVERYBODY is usually just trying to help YOU and THEMSELVES, and if you remember that....you should have no fear of participating.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just be comfortable MindShift...some days I read a lot, some days I post a lot...some days I do both LOL

D
Old 08-24-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindShift View Post
I don't want to be *that person* that vocally vomits on everyone only to have them pass my posts by. Ya know? Is that silly?
MindShift, welcome to SoberRecovery. You'll find a lot of good people here, people just like you, that care and want to help.

I do know what you mean and I don't think it silly. Know what might have been silly, you lurking, reading and then just getting up, walking away and never posting.

Looks like your doing good. Keep coming and keep posting.

Harry
Old 08-24-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jabbadabutt View Post
It is a little overwhelming at times but read the posts that interest you, ask the questions you want, reply to those that you can help, share what you want. I would not be afraid to "vomit" on the forum.....it's better than vomitting due to your hangover or drinking.....and we understand. There are some ground rules here (stickys up there point you in the right direction) and you may end up making some friends......and some that you may ruffle the feathers. I have been there but EVERYBODY is usually just trying to help YOU and THEMSELVES, and if you remember that....you should have no fear of participating.
Well said. Thank you. Will do.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Harry01854 View Post
MindShift, welcome to SoberRecovery. You'll find a lot of good people here, people just like you, that care and want to help.

I do know what you mean and I don't think it silly. Know what might have been silly, you lurking, reading and then just getting up, walking away and never posting.

Looks like your doing good. Keep coming and keep posting.

Harry
Well thank you, Harry. That means a lot. Sincerely. I agree with you. It was hard to hit publish on my intro, but now I am very glad I did.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Just be comfortable MindShift...some days I read a lot, some days I post a lot...some days I do both LOL

D
Well I will give it a whirl. lol...
Old 08-24-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know how you feel mindshaft, when I typed out all my first entry on here,hitting publish was tough,was made even tougher when it said I had to log in..LOL
This place is a good place to read and see youre not alone.
Im happy to see a few newbies like me here
Old 08-24-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tofls View Post
I know how you feel mindshaft, when I typed out all my first entry on here,hitting publish was tough,was made even tougher when it said I had to log in..LOL
This place is a good place to read and see youre not alone.
Im happy to see a few newbies like me here
Well I am happy to ride the August newbie train with you. Gonna be a bumpy ride, but we'll make it.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

hang on tight,I will be looking for you and hope to see you around a lot more,
Now I'm off to see where else I can type away at
Old 08-24-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mindshift!

I think we are all a kind of family here, so just make yourself comfortable. Really, for many of us, including me, this is outlet where we know that others understand what we are going through.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome Mindshift!

I think we are all a kind of family here, so just make yourself comfortable. Really, for many of us, including me, this is outlet where we know that others understand what we are going through.
Well on that note, let me find a comfortable cushion and sit myself down! Thank you for that.