Need reminding

Old 10-20-2003, 07:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need reminding

Remind me why I am powerless over alcohol? I just found out that for the past 5 days my husband has decided to pick up the drink again.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

From One Day at a time in Al-Anon
Daily Reminder for April 25

(One of my favorites)

I am powerless over alcohol and its effects on another person: I cannot make him sober, no more than I can be responsible for his drinking. The first step tells me this, and it tells me too, that I must acknowledge that my life has become unmanageable. My first task is to manage my OWN life, whether or not the alcoholic is still drinking.

Gone Crazy,
Letting go happens over time with practice. Realizing your powerless is a wonderful thing...you didnt cause it, cant control it .. and cannot cure it. He chose to drink, it has nothing to do with you.

Love ya...many hugs!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gonecrazy,
Because only HE can choose not to pick up....I feel your pain and confusion...my ah was sober and doing extremely well for close to 4 months and then one day, he started drinking again....at first it was 3 here or 4 there and then it was a 6 pack at a time and finally this past weekend he got so intoxicated he doesn't remember anything he said or did....even how he got home that night (thank God someone else drove him home!)...all the while, I've had to say the serenity prayer over and over and over and over and over....I AM POWERLESS....It's hard as heck to believe sometimes, but it's reality...

Hang in there and keep coming here
Sped teach
Old 10-21-2003, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thnk you so much for your replies and reminders. I know you are both right, and it is very hard to accept that I can't do anything. It is starting with just a few here and there, but from the past I know that this is how it begins. I don't get how two weeks ago he was saying that he had no desire for drugs or alcohol, and then one week later he suddenly thinks that he's not an alcoholic and can control his drinking. That is such messed up thinking. I am however, trying really hard to take care of myself and do what I need to do to give myself a fullfilling life. It is really a shock because I thought he was doing good and I just didn't expect this. Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

gonecrazy,

I am so glad you came here...before pc's I'd have gone right back to MY old behaviors....even though I knew then as I do now they didn't work...

I have the Serenity Prayer all over my house. As well as alot of the slogans JUST for those times when I need them at hand...I even move them around so I don't get so used to them that I forget...

Keep working on you and your recovery and you'll see that Letting Go and Letting God gets earsier and easier.
Love, ~A~
Old 10-22-2003, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

I did some reading over at the boards for alcoholics, they talk about there are certain time periods (I forget but for example, at 5 weeks, 5 months) when the cravings come back almost irresistably. So - I guess sometimes maybe he doesn't crave but then a week or two later the situation could change.