Notices

Meditation-whats your practice

Old 08-24-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meditation-whats your practice

OK, so everyone talks a lot about meditation as a great tool for recoveeay, heck I'm one of the pro-meditation people. But it occurs to me that meditation means different things to different people. So I thought it would be interesting to hear what people do.

Me: most mornings I sit in my bedroom, would love to have a designated meditation spot but this is the best I can do. So I sit in the lotus position, I take six deep breathes to center myself...concentrating on the air filling my lungs, pausing and then leaving. After this I concentrate on my breath and the feeling of joy...I let it fill me from the top of my head to the soles of my feet. It fills me with lightness and light and a deep peace. When stray thoughts enter my conscious I acknowledge them and gently turn my mind from them. After about twenty minutes I do the six deep breathes again and come out of meditation, renewed and relaxed. I am hoping to build my practice up to an hour one day.

Sometimes during the day I take quick mini breaks back to that place, when I need to feel calm or centered or even if I just have a few minutes on the train to spare.

So how about everyone else.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've started doing bikram yoga.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lafemme!!
I'm impressed!! I haven't "got" the meditation practice yet...I have in the past tried, but couldn't let my mind go... I'm going to be going to a class in the fall where I can learn the tools to do it on my own...and I'm going to buy a few relaxtion cd's..and some nice incense...
For now, I just go down to the ocean and sit by myself and kinda zone out...it's so peaceful.....
Old 08-24-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do a basic mantra meditation that I learned at Advanced Yoga Practices. Although the name says Advanced, the meditation is a simple, basic meditation.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LO2L...you are half way there with the zoning out thing:-) I don't think the point is letting your mind go, because I certainly have plenty of random thoughts during meditation, it's the fact that you don't let those thoughts take charge that matters...at least imo.

Raindance...Bikram is very impressive, I think I need to get in better shape before I try that. I have a friend IRL who has 13+ years sobriety, he meditates every day and does bikram 6 days a week...and yes he is in scary good shape!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bob...whats your mantra?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Bob...whats your mantra?
Iam, or I spell it Ayam because it is supposed to be a sound, not a word.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I sit back in my easy chair and put on some soothing music. Usually I also fill my essential oil diffuser with a lovely scent and turn that on as well. I place one hand on my chest and the other on my abdomen. Then I concentrate on my breathing and focus with my mind's eye. I try to become aware of what is going on around me, and gently acknowledge everything that is happening. Then, I turn inward and gently acknowledge my thoughts and feelings.

I usually only meditate for about 10 minutes because I have a two year old who needs my attention, but I meditate several times a day, and I pray a lot as well. I have heard that meditation is listening to the answers to your prayers.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I haven't put what I feel is enough time into my meditation practices... .and it's starting to bug me so I know it's time to start doing something about it.

Mostly, I just keep putting it off "till later" and that never seems to come for me.....or at least not often enough anyway.

I hope this thread get's some serious actions because I need to learn some of what's working from you folks that ARE working it.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

I avoid mantras, it is too difficult to find a sound without meaning. For example, a few years ago when Chopra taught Opra the mantra “I am”, she thought he said “a ham”. We all saw how badly that went.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dunno if it's legit meditation, but a few times per day I try to clear my head and focus my awareness on breaths, my body, or physical surroundings. Keeps that cracked out feeling at bay.

I used to actually meditate--the stances, the body relaxation methods, focusing on deep breaths for minutes at a time--but I always fall asleep
Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i don't do any formal meditation, but my "relaxing time" is early AM when I walk my dog....it's quiet and peaceful except for the wildlife that excites him, but that's OK, I like him to be happy.

I try to do something relaxing at night, but like someone else said, I fall right to sleep....and that is OK too, because there have been plenty of frustrations withNOT being able to sleep over the years

i do remember oprah's ham scene too.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

On the suggestion of another member here at SR, I downloaded Belleruth Naparstek's guided meditations for recovery from Alcohol Abuse.

I make every effort to do the guided imagery and the affirmations once a day. Belleruth herself recommends twice, but, once I get moving in the mornings, it's hard to stop again.

I'd like some information from people who do a daily devotional. How does that work and what do you do?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hmmm, I agree what is a daily devotional?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Nice thread LF

I have a few things that I like to do to free my mind from time to time.

Like Fandy said above I also like to walk early in the mornings with our dogs. Something about being up at the crack of dawn when the sun has not come up yet and everything is that same shade of morning gray. I will walk slowly trying to not make and sounds while keeping a clear mind on trails and old logging roads no longer in use and listen to everything around me.

Heck just the other day I came face to face with a Big Momma bear I could have reached out and touched her. We both looked at each other for a minute or so. I had no idea what her plan was so I just stood there with the dogs by my side as she assessed the situation. I finally spoke up and said "well now what?" She just turned her back on me and walked away.

I see black bears around here this time of year almost every day on my walks. Thankfully my dogs are so used to them they treat them with indifference and don't go all crazy around them.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Genpo Roshi's "Big Mind" exercises are the only meditation techniques that have ever done anything positive for me.

Generally, though, writing or recalling poetry is a more efficient way for me to clear my head. There's something about it that seems to keep the language part of the brain busy, leaving no room for my annoying inner monologue.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

bcboy...I can't imagine what my dogs would do...Summer is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, bred for big game hunting and Sargent does whatever Summer does, so I think I would have minced dogs!

I do think there is something meditative in walking...there is a Christian practice of walking a labyrinth in meditation. I have done it once or twice and found it very moving.

I used to sit on the beach at dawn and watch the sun rise..don't live close enough now...the ocean is very calming to me!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lots of ways to meditate

A beginner practice is to sit and concentrate on your breath. Feel where it comes in and goes out, your nose, your throat. When thoughts come, just say in your head, "Thinking," and let them float away without judgement. Next thought, "Thinking," float away. You may find that one second where your mind is blank and peaceful.

There are guided meditations, many online, and chakra meditations. Visual meditations. Even if I only meditate for 5 minutes, it is better than not doing it at all.

Love it!!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lildawg View Post
On the suggestion of another member here at SR, I downloaded Belleruth Naparstek's guided meditations for recovery from Alcohol Abuse.

I make every effort to do the guided imagery and the affirmations once a day. Belleruth herself recommends twice, but, once I get moving in the mornings, it's hard to stop again.

I'd like some information from people who do a daily devotional. How does that work and what do you do?
I have her anxiety meditations and PTSD, but didn't know she had alcohol abuse ones. I am going to look. Thanks!!
Old 08-24-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I like to plop down in an easy chair in front of my TV with the sound turned all the way down and the power turned all the way off (I used to do the same with vodka LOL!)

I then slow my thoughts down till I find it is stuck between thoughts. I would call it 100% anticipation with 0% expectation. I am simply waiting for the next thought to come into my head without expecting it to be anytime soon.

I studied it for years without any results and then gave up on it entirely. That's when it started working. A surrender is what triggered it.

It is what Deepak Chopra calls "The Gap". Eckhart Tolle calls "The Now". Shunryu Suzuki calls "ZaZen" or Beginners Mind.