Notices

There's an app for that!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

There's an app for that!

I read an interest article today about people using Twitter for quitting support. The two examples were for smoking and drinking. Have any of you used Twitter as another source of support?

And then I started looking for iPhone apps that could help. I've found a few, but I am wondering if anyone has used any that they liked?
Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh geez...I will read the article tomorrow on the computer...have not tried and don't think I will at this point but it is interesting!
Old 08-24-2010, 04:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whatever works for one is good in my book. Thanks for spreading a little more variety for recoverees.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I must admit I havent jumped on the twitter wagon, but agree with the above - whatever works! I did look once for recovery groups on facebook but just found AA.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Although I have a twitter account, I have never once tweeted. Just not my thing. However, if it helps you stay sober, I see nothing wrong with it! I know there are support groups on Facebook, although I don't belong to those. I get my support here and through my IRL meetings.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not a twitterer or Facebooker but I'm sure there are sobriety based things all over those two, considering the popularity of it. I bet there is an app you can use to find out if theres an app for.....it's a little outta hand!!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Last night I found several apps for recovery tracking. Mostly, they were a one-stop place to input your days sober, your sponsor's info for one-touch dialing, emailing, and texting, and your favorite meetings. One or two of them included a digital version of the Big Book.

There are also a few inspirational or motivational apps that send you quotes from the Big Book or other "stay clean" or "stay sober" daily messages. Those could be really encouraging, if not quite the integrated support I was initially hoping for.

I haven't selected one. I've never been to AA, only Celebrate Recovery, so I'm not really familiar with the Big Book. I don't know how much I would use an electronic version of it.

But, whatever your pleasure, there are lots of resources!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with PPs that whatever works for someone is great! I do not tweet, nor facebook much. My husband and I share a fb so I'm not going to become a fan of AA or anything like that since he doesn't even drink LOL

I'm going to look on the droid market for an app though... that would be cool!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are several FB pages supporting recovery -- I like Recovery Works in particular.

There are a handful of apps out there: some tell you where you might find a meeting but check them out first as sometimes they are general and not specific. Hazelden has an app and it's nice but pricey and complicated to use. You can get books in apps as well. Today's Step: Recovery is a very nice app which has daily meditations, exercises, stories, and is in iPhone and Android.

Check out Twitter by searching on hash tags like #recovery or #onedayatatime and you'll find lots of accounts. Good luck!