Well here's a little praise report

Old 08-23-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well here's a little praise report

As some of you know, my son injured his eye some weeks back. That eye will not recover. He can see fingers but that is about it. He also fractured a bone in his skull, but there has been no follow-up requested for that so I am assuming it will heal on its own.

In the last 3 weeks we have been to the eye clinic 8 times. On one of those trips, he turned on the radio to a country music station. I was really expecting the station to be a hard rock station with foul-mouthed DJs, so i was pleasantly surprised.

A relative called me last night and said my AS went to church yesterday, apparently to accompany his girlfriend and her sister (a recovering addict in a sober house). The comment my AS said was, "yeah, and the pastor played country music during the sermon." What a God-coincidence. And another God-coincidence is that some years ago it was in this church parking lot that my son was sleeping in his rust-bucket car during below-0 weather. (A policeman called me in the middle of the night). At that time I spent the next few days in terror that this son would die either of the cold or of carbon monoxide from running the car all night with all the rusted-outed holes in that car. Yesterday this AS was not dissing this church-going experience or being at all sarcastic about going. BTW, he was raised in church. He submitted himself to baptism as a teenager.

God is good. My AS is not done with using, i do not believe. But i'm thankful that God let me see a little bit of how He is working in my son's life.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Sojourner))
I know what you mean. I love seeing glimpes of God in my son's life, even if he is not in recovery as of yet, but knowing that God is still a part of his life gives you precious HOPE. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sojourner,

Your post brought tears to my eyes, for many reasons. I remember the heartache of knowing my son was sleeping in his "rustbucket",trying to find places to legally park. While my son is not at as good a place, emotionally, as yours, he is safe tonight. That gives me reason to be thankful.
I am glad that God is in your son's heart.That brought tears to my eyes especially. I will say a prayer for his complete recovery, for his eye, his head and his heart.

hugs,
chicory
Old 08-24-2010, 04:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

A spiritual connection is something I have seen as common ground in long term recovering addicts...or long term recovering anyone.

Some make it on their own, but finding a Higher Power that I choose to call God has made all the difference in my life, and in the lives of many I have met in recovery.

Your boy seems to be on a good path today. May he stay in the light and share his journey with others.

I can feel your relief and joy, something good is happening here.

Hugs
Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the tender posts.

His eye will never recover. There is dead tissue there.

What strikes me as time goes on is that this is a best-case scenario. That ball hit him so hard that it knocked him unconscious right there on the mound the second it hit him. With a force like that, if he would have had time to turn his head and gotten hit in the temple, i'd have buried him by now - or he would have incredible brain damage and be disabled his entire life. If it would have hit him in the chest, it would have stopped his heart and i'd be burying him now.

And because he did not go to the hospital for about 8 hours, there could have been swelling or internal bleeding in the brain which could have caused brain damage.

I know i'm "what iffing" here, but these are very real consequences of a hit this hard to the body that the emergency room doctors see all the time. And I work in the medical field so I'm not clueless about this stuff either.

Again, thanks for your support here. I'm still pretty shook up. And apparently my son is pretty shook up about this too because he agreed to go to church - trust me, he put a lot of energy into avoiding church when he was living here and starting his party-life.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
God is good. My AS is not done with using, i do not believe. But i'm thankful that God let me see a little bit of how He is working in my son's life.
God is good isn't he Sojourner. Thanks for the update. I was wondering how your son was doing after his injury.

Gotahavfaith