Notices

Day 2 ... help!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 ... help!

Hi, first post here but I've lurked for a little while and the threads are a real help. I'm only on day 2 and I'm struggling so much! Was drinking about 4 or 5 cans of cider a night, every night and anything up to 6 or a bottle of wine and a couple of cans of a weekend. This has built up over the last 7 years. I can't believe how hard it is to stop!

I've known for quite some time that there's a certain level of addiction going on but I think I've only just realised the level of it! I quit drinking last weekend, did all week without but had the sweats, craving, etc. I'd convinced myself that I could control drinking at weekends and just give it up in the week. Well, I've learnt my lesson with that! Friday night I had three cans, very slowly and in control but Saturday night I just went too far with drinking ... woke up on Sunday morning wondering why on earth I'd done it

So ... here I am back at day two, feeling much more realistic about it all but knowing how hard it's going to be. I understand now that I have to quit for good and it makes it seem worse in alot of ways - like such a big thing to do!

This time of day (dinner time) is the worst for me because I'd normally be pleasantly merry by now to get me through cooking, clearing up, kids bedtime, etc. The craving is so bloody strong! How on earth do you deal with that?

Anyway, thanks for reading and .. hi
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's awful isn't it? Try to relax and keep busy with something else. The strongest cravings seem to come and go in waves. An hour an a half ago, I felt like I had just broken up with the love of my life (alcohol), and was planning a tearful reunion... But instead I went home. Now, after some japanese food and two cups of tea, I feel fine again. Until the next time the cravings strike...

Hang in there, these are strong chemicals we've been pouring into our brains.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand completely!! I was there in your position 3 days ago! You should read My Day 2 Feelings.. I was having a hard time and probably harder than I posted. I had a hard time trying to get through the whole day without drinking. Day 3 was worse!! You can do this though, believe it! I never thought I'd get passed 2 days but here I am on day 5 now! If I can do it so can you! Evenings were bad for me also, but it got to the point that I was starting my breakfast with some beer, then some wine. Don't let yourself get to that point. It helped me so much to come here, post and read and get support from others in the same boat. We're all here to help as much as we can.

Congrats on your Day 2 and You can Keep going!!!!!! Believe in yourself!!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You need to keep it going moment by moment. Post away, talk, listen and learn. It is so much easier with some support and surrounding yourself with people that really understand what you are going through. Stay strong...stay sober.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Midwintersnow

Yeah it's really tough the first few days. I encourage you to post and read here as much as you like - the support really helps.

Seeing your doctor might not be a bad idea either if detox is troublesome for you?

If you find that SR's not enough support for you right now, I hope you'll then consider a recovery group.

I'm not sure where you live but here's a link to most of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Welcome to SR!
D
Old 08-23-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you Midwintersnow. On Day 2 myself and its not easy. Just hold onto the fact that we don't ever have to have a Day 2 again if we stay strong.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It will get easier as each day goes by. Take care of yourself as much as possible, being sure to eat well and rest. It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you stop drinking. And, remember, you never have to go through this again.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It was the same for me. Tough couple days at first, then gets much easier. Day 8 here and really enjoying it. Sure there are some cravings, but they don't last too long, and are diminishing in severity. Hang in there.

See this thread: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 08-23-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I read this book called Living Sober, which is put out by AA. One of the suggestions it makes is to chop the 24 hours of the day down into smaller parts. You can say you're not going to drink for the next hour. Then, after that hour is up, you go for one more. And on and on.

If you like to read, find a book you can escape into. Say you're going to postpone the first drink for ten pages of your book. If you like TV, say you're going to postpone it for one sit-com. Then, after you reach your "goal," set another one.

You said you have chores. Break your evening down into chores. "I will not have a drink during supper." Then, "I will not have a drink while I clean up the house." Then, "I will not have a drink while I put the kids to bed." And so forth. Set a new goal each time you finish the one you were working on.

Remember, we're all pulling for you. And we've all been right where you are.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies! I feel a little better now, food helps I think and the endless cups of tea I've been drinking! Breaking it down into little chunks does help too ...

I know that the same time tomorrow will be hard so I'll try to be more prepared for it, with things ready to do/ think about.

Thanks again ... this is a great place
Old 08-23-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I too have a specific time of day that I have trouble with. Usually from 3pm-7pm so I find myself now running my errands or making specific dates during this time. I am not usually alone during this time of day or if I am... I am busy. Seems to make this time of day much easier to deal with. Plus - I know that everyday this time-frame will get easier and easier to handle and soon I may not notice what time it is!