Notices

My Day 5 Feelings

Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Day 5 Feelings

Morning everyone! Today is a better day. I feel more like myself, like I can get through today with little difficulty, and I know I will wake up tomorrow on day 6, sober. I am tired.. not much sleep but still more positive.

I am going to try my normal routine today, sans the liquor. Breakfast for kids, workout, shower, make beds, laundry, etc.. I may even go into the pool with the kids today instead of guzzling my cocktail while suntanning. Been eating too much sugary foods too, which I never do. I need to get back to my normal diet.

Here's to all of us trying to recover and to all the lurkers who will hopefully make their Day 1 today! Good day 5 for me so far!!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have a great day 5! Your are doing awesome!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That was always me at the pool. Lay out and tan with a cooler full of beer/pack of Camels within reach. That was swimming. Ha!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TexasNative View Post
That was always me at the pool. Lay out and tan with a cooler full of beer/pack of Camels within reach. That was swimming. Ha!
When I got too hot and didn't want to take a dip, I would have them splash some water on me!! LMAO
Old 08-23-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

You are doing great. I hear the sugar thing is normal, I certainly went through it. aaaarrggghh nummm nummmm
Old 08-23-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great work and keep it going. Take this day and cherish it. You have given yourself a gift. See to it that you pay it forward for yourself to have another sober day tomorrow. Don't let the disease get you down...use it to build yourself back up
Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 5 and a better frame of mind....the sugar thing was the same for me, it persisted about a month....I would stockpile 8 boxes of cookies that had a dark chocolate shell...and eat 1/2 large cadbury bar every night.

when fresh fruit became cheap and plentiful i switched over..but now a small dish of ice cream is standard...(it helps me sleep)!

normal sleep will return and the exercise should help with that too.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yay!

And like everyone else has said the sugar thing is apparently normal. It's something your body craves when it stops getting alcohol, I guess. I know the candy machine at Rehab did good business, heh. Your energy level will pick up, you get your work out routine going again, all that will help with the sugar & the sleeping. You might pick up some melatonin for like $3 at a dollar store... it never worked for me when I was drinking but once I was sober it really started helping. It's worth a shot. It doesn't knock you out, but if you go to sleep it helps you stay there longer & deeper.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have the sleepytime extra tea which helps me feel relaxed. Thing is, when I fall asleep and my dh can't sleep, he gets on the xbox late. Even with his headphones on I still wake up from the light. I'm a very light sleeper. I can hear my sons upstairs on the 3rd floor if someone is crying or feeling sick... I wake up immediately! Maybe I will try my eye blankets (whatever those things are called.. kept them every time I had to fly to Europe)
Old 08-23-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I have replaced my evening alcohol with diet dr pepper. I've always hated pop, but for some reason, the sweet taste along with the caffeine jolt is getting me through quite nicely. And although the artificial sweetener might give me cancer one day, its not making me fat now!! lol
Old 08-23-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julez View Post
i have replaced my evening alcohol with diet dr pepper. I've always hated pop, but for some reason, the sweet taste along with the caffeine jolt is getting me through quite nicely. and although the artificial sweetener might give me cancer one day, its not making me fat now!! Lol
lol
Old 08-23-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ask hubby to move the Xbox to another room? i'm a very light sleeper myself, i know i need to keep things dark and very cool to get the best possible sleep...I've been using 3mcg? of Melatonin and a valarian along with this Honey/chamomile tea...

it was very rare, but this morning I actually slept right through my alarm...(i get up at 5:15 for work)...it opened my eyes to 6:10AM....8 solid hours of sleep, I look 10 years younger.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

LOL can't wait to get 8 solid hours! Last night besides my DH on the xbox, my 2 yr old daughter woke up from a nightmare I believe.. said there was a frog in her bed and she wouldn't lay down until I layed down with her LOL it was really cute how she freaked out. Poor thing..