Notices

Going to court today

Old 08-23-2010, 04:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Going to court today

I have my trial this morning for my second DUI in 5 years. The penalties range from 3 to 30 days in jail. I'm hoping I am able to plead down, or get the case dropped. Frankly, I don't think that will happen. I have already accepted whatever comes my way, and I know that wherever I am is where God needs me. Even if that's in jail for a few days. Perhaps I will have the opportunity to share with someone in there and help someone who is dealing with alcohol problems.

I'm in school again, and I'm hoping that if I'm convicted, the judge will allow me to schedule a time to report to the jail, rather than me going straight there today. I'd like to not miss school if at all possible.

The night of my DUI was the last time I drank, March 24. I'm hoping the judge will see the changes in me and take it as easy as possible. But as I said, I'm prepared for the worst, because I know I can take it.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Everywhere here helps me get through every day, and you give me strength to face this situation. Hopefully I'll be talking to you soon.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope for a positive outcome for you. Whatever comes your way you'll be able to deal with it sober and clear-minded. You have been so helpful on here and I pray it carries over to be helpful in your own situation.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whatever happens you should be proud of your sobriety and your recovery. You have come so far and are a credit to SR. Thanks for posting and I am proud to 'know' you.

Whatever happens take it as a learning experience to strengthen your sobriety and recovery. Like you say if you do go inside, you may be able to help somebody struggling there, if they are willing to listen.

You should feel no shame mate. You are doing everything you can to turn your life around and you sound in a very good place in your recovery.

Peace and Love. All The Best.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Wishing you strength and hope.

Whatever happens, this is a consequence of the past, and not your future. You have a very good attitude, which can only help you in court.

Remember, judges have heard it ALL--almost everyone is able to sound remorseful in court. But I've seen a lot of judges who have almost a sixth sense about who really means it and is putting their money where their mouth is.

You'll be fine.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always get something from your posts Snarf. No matter what you did in the past, I think the Snarf of today deserves a second chance.

I hope you get it

D
Old 08-23-2010, 05:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck, I'm sending you thoughts and prayers...I hope you get a good judge who can see your commitment to sobriety and is lenient with you.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck in court. I think that your sober time is going to help you.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

prayers to you
Old 08-23-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Best of luck to you Snarf!

I learned a lot about surrendering to God's will from my experiences in court. By the time I got sentenced I was kinda-sorta at ease. Well, not really at ease but WAY less freaked out than I had been. I took my lumps in those courtrooms too...and I wasn't excited about it BUT it was the beginning of the end of my "old" life and the start of a really enjoyable new life - although I couldn't see that at the time. I learned a lot about the 3rd step indirectly from those judges too.....
Old 08-23-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wink

Snarf You Got 5 Months Sober Tomorrow!!! Good Luck in Court and May God Bless You!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Best wishes to you Snarf. You just never know what will happen with a legal situation 'til it happens. Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Best wishes, Snarf. I hope everything works out for the best. And I always enjoy reading your posts, so thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

That went well, I suppose. I mean, I'm here to type about it, so that's a good thing.

I'll be entering a plea of guilty. Had I gone to trial and been convicted, I likely would have faced a 30-day sentence, of which I would have to do 15. With a plea of guilty, I will receive 10 days and must serve 5. My fine is also reduced from what it could have been. The solicitor has given me 4 weeks to make arrangements with school and work, and I must report on 9/21 to enter my plea and schedule my stay at Hotel Gwinnett County. Luckily, I have a Student Study Day in early October, so I think I can do my 5 days without having to miss any classes.

So that's that, I suppose. All the other penalties that go along with it as well, such as no license for 12 months, DUI school, drug/alcohol classes for 17 weeks, and 240 hours of community service. But at least now there's no more wondering. I know what I'm in for; now I just have to start taking care of it. I believe I'll begin my community service and drug/alcohol classes before my 9/21 date, to show the judge I'm serious about getting on with this and putting it all behind me.

Thanks so much to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I'll be seeing you later this evening, and for that I am very grateful. Have a wonderful day, everybody! I know I'm going to try to.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Like you say, at least you know what you're facing and can start taking care of it. Good for you on the positive attitude.

Someone else here at SR had some good advice on court ordered sobriety classes: Apply yourself and take everything you can away from the experience; you're paying for it.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

At least now you know what you are facing and the uncertainty is gone, I'm driving myself crazy before my court date w/o knowing whats going to happen. (1st offense but I was over a 0.30 BAC & ran up a curb then kept driving so they counted that as an accident) I'm surprised the court date was ~5 months out from the date of your DUI. My court date is ~3.5 weeks from the DUI and coincidentally also on the first day of the semester; although my guess is that I won't be able to attend this semester due to a suspended license.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Hid, my original court date (arraignment) was 1 month after my arrest. I've just been pushing things back since then. Today was the trial date, but alas, there shall be no trial. Good luck to you with court and school. I'm lucky enough to have public transportation where I live. It kinda sucks, but not as much as paying for taxis.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Snarf, I can imagine how stressful it has been waiting for this to be sorted out.

I think it's great that you've been sober since the arrest in March and you have a good attitude about what is coming up for you.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
Hid, my original court date (arraignment) was 1 month after my arrest. I've just been pushing things back since then. Today was the trial date, but alas, there shall be no trial. Good luck to you with court and school. I'm lucky enough to have public transportation where I live. It kinda sucks, but not as much as paying for taxis.
DUI #2 for me was scheduled about 3 mos after my arrest. My attorney held it off and.....about 11 months later..... I got popped again with #3!!! DOH! Facing that 2n judge scared the crap outta me. Not only was I ducking sentencing and he knew it, I got nailed on ANOTHER DUI in the meantime.

There is no bus line within about 4 miles of my house and there isn't a taxi to be found. Well, there IS one company but Michigan is set up for driving cars.....(yay Motor City) not public transportation so the cab companies DESTROY you with the rates.

2 judges, 2 sentencings, 2 probation officers, house arrest followed by a SCRAM alcohol tether for 11 months (along tether change-outs that I was called in to do out of the blue about every 3 weeks), getting to daily urinalysis testing, mandatory AA meetings, 2 1/2 years of probation, getting to and from work....on and on.... I didn't think it would be possible without a car. As bad as that was, the FEAR leading up to it was worse. I was going out of my MIND!!

It's amazing to me that all those punishments started almost 4 years ago. I've only got another 2 years to go before I can petition go get my revoked license back. That may seem like a long time (sometimes is feels like and eternity) but all that stuff has had a definite and positive payoff for me so I can't imagine that another 2 years....or whatever it turns into being....of not driving will be anything other than just what I need - even though it's not what I want sometimes.

Facing up to my troubles was the first step of many in getting sober and happy. I wish the same for you.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Snarf you are going to get through the requirements as quickly as possible it seems you don't want to push it off any longer than you have to...and you're right, once it's done and over with, that's it....back to your real sober life. congrats on not having to miss any school and bigger congrats on your firmly planted feet.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Snarf...is it like in LA where they say you will serve 5 days and you get out in 5 hours due to overcrowding?

Congrats on things going as well as can be expected.

Even bigger congrats on your sobriety!!!