Notices

Still doing fairly well...

Old 08-22-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still doing fairly well...

Hi everyone, I have been away from the board a few days. It has been about 2 weeks that I made the decision to stop drinking...I had one night the first week when I got drunk and felt bad about it...very bad....I was back on the wagon again..till Friday night. My husband and some other family where over at our house and I had 2 beers. I stopped and it wasn't hard to stop becuase all I could think of was that I doing what I said I would not do anymore. The hardest thing to tame was my want for a cigarette, which always accompanies my drinking. So I am dissapointed that I have not stuck 100% to my sobriety..but am glad I stopped the other night without any trouble. Does that make any sense?! Well I want to quit 100% just becuase that's what I feel is the right thing to do. I was never an every day drinker, but you know the story, usually once I started I didn't stop... once a week..

So good to be back, I wish I could get my family to support me stopping 100% it seems they all think I don't have a real problem. But they don't know how it makes me feel..and they are not me.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up, FD...quitting drinking is not easy! But you can do it. Have you tried AA? I find it enjoyable and very helpful in making the journey to sobriety much less of a struggle. Also joining the chats here at SR are a great support.

Hang in there, and keep posting!
Old 08-22-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

FindingDawn, do get discouraged, I have been sober on and off for a few months. I keep coming back and I find this is a great place for support.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back FindingDawn

I agree with what stephnc said - if you continue to find you have trouble staying sober on your own, maybe a recovery programme (AA, SMART) might be the way to go.

And post and read here as often and as regularly as you like - it really can help

D
Old 08-22-2010, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys I really didn't even want the 2 drinks! Just wasn't didn't want to tell I was trying to stop I guess...I feel pretty good at knowing how much I cut down already though. And knowing I haven't been having cravings for alcohol..I will keep coming here for sure!