Notices

Lunch with a friend

Old 08-20-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
stayingstraight

Lunch with a friend

Hi everyone. I went to lunch with a friend from work yesterday. We met at the hospital we work because I had to do some continuing education. First of all, I typically wouldn't have gone with her because she doesn't drink. Second, the scene would have been me and one of my friends who drink ordering cocktails first off. We would be on our second drink before the appetizer was gone. Then, sometime after our entrees arrived, we'd order another set. By the end of lunch, we would be pretty well buzzed and it would only be about 1:30 in the afternoon. Then we would have to drive home, but we probably wouldn't. Instead we would drive to one of our favorite afternoon dives and drink some more. I most likely would not have made it home to take my daughter and her friend to the movies and may even get a DUI. Now that that's said, I'll tell you all I had a nice, sober outing with a friend that is sober. We went to PF Changs and I actually ate instead of just drinking. I had a pleasant, intelligent conversation with a fellow female and workmate that I will remember. I could also really taste the food. And it was pretty darn good! I also have to say that the bill was reasonable as well. It costs a lot less to go out and eat when you don't drink! The best part is, I don't feel any guilt because I did what I said I was going to that day. I went to my continuing ed, went to lunch as planned with my friend and took my daughter and her friend to the movies.
I do want to tell you...when I first got there and sat down the first thing that went through my head was ordering a drink. That's also the first thing the waitress asks. My friend had water and I had iced tea. I have to admit I was tempted. I'm really glad I went with a sober friend. It makes a huge difference. Thanks, Isabelle
Old 08-20-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice to have your eyes open up to how much there is to life after all, isn't it?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I recall realizing that it's possible to enjoy myself during a meal out without alcohol. I was pretty amazed, too! It really is a great feeling when you stop and think about it. Congratulations! Hope this is but the first of many such occasions.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Isabelle

D
Old 08-20-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
stayingstraight

Thanks to all of you. SS
Old 08-20-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great, Isabelle!

Recovery opens you up to so many experiences that you might have missed.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes it feels a little 'strange' at forst but only for a brief while. Getting a drink in was always the first thing I would do when i went out 'anywhere'. It was like my natural reaction of arriving at the destination, right lets get a drink in. But usually I would make sure that I was with company where I would say "right lets get wrecked". Infact I don;t think I ever didn't get wrecked, even if the other person wasn't drinking.

Once you get over the initial feeling of being alittle more self-conscious etcetc it really is fine. It always feel great when you're leaving and you can actually fully remember the conversation and know you havn't embarrassed yourself and don't have the paranoia the next few days before you see them again.

Nice one.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know your day was sober...pleasant and productive...
Happens really often to non drinkers...
Old 08-21-2010, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stayingstraight
It costs a lot less to go out and eat when you don't drink!
It sure does! When I drank (which my husband still does, though not as much as I did), it was nothing for a meal out to cost us $50+ with the tip. And we're talking about eating out at places like Chili's and TGIF's. Now, we can usually get out of a restaurant for $30 or less. I suspect if my husband didn't have a couple of beers with his meal, we could get out for $20 or less.

The only downside is, now that I can taste the food, it's terrible! I'd much rather stay at home and eat my own cooking. LOL

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST
It always feel great when you're leaving and you can actually fully remember the conversation and know you havn't embarrassed yourself and don't have the paranoia the next few days before you see them again.
This is hands down the best part of going anywhere and doing anything sober. You fully remember everything that went on and know you didn't embarrass yourself.

What an uplifting thread! Congratulations on enjoying your sober outing.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Great post! Congratulations!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Nice job Isabelle! The right choices feel so great sometimes don't they!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
stayingstraight

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
Yes it feels a little 'strange' at forst but only for a brief while. Getting a drink in was always the first thing I would do when i went out 'anywhere'. It was like my natural reaction of arriving at the destination, right lets get a drink in. But usually I would make sure that I was with company where I would say "right lets get wrecked". Infact I don;t think I ever didn't get wrecked, even if the other person wasn't drinking.

Once you get over the initial feeling of being alittle more self-conscious etcetc it really is fine. It always feel great when you're leaving and you can actually fully remember the conversation and know you havn't embarrassed yourself and don't have the paranoia the next few days before you see them again.

Nice one.
I just wanted to say just how true this resonates with me. I am still dealing with the feelings of akwardness when on any sober outting. This one in particular was kind of a trial run for me. I don't think I'm ready to do this all the time because I don't want to let my guard down. But I am feeling better about it. I think company can make a big difference too. A friend that doesn't drink is safer for me also because they don't give me permission. Thanks, Isabelle