Any experience with Librium?

Old 08-19-2010, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any experience with Librium?

STXAH called and said the VA kicked him to the curb after 72 hour observation for suicidal ideation. Said he'd been on librium every eight hours while there and discharged with 60 caps more. We used to give a librium taper in the county jail, but I don't remember any inmate sounding like he was S--tfaced while taking it. Has anyone known an alcoholic coming off a binge who sounded drunk on librium? I was very kind, but am wondering whether I am being played. Aw nuts! I'm always being played, but I am curious.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

librium is very similar to valium. They are both benzodiazipines...vey addicting and frequently abused. They do work in the brain very chemically similar to alcohol...same receptors or something like that. Take too amny and you will be slurring and pass out asleep. Mixing them with alcohol is bad news, magnifies the effects of alcohol at a very high rate.
Most Drs are really cracking down on this class of drugs.
Addiction happens very, very quickly and abrupt withdrawal can be life threatening.
So, it is something ti be very cautious with.
Every 8 hours is reasonable.
I don't remember what the half life is... will look it up.
These drugs are used with alcohol withdrawal and as a sedative.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, sounds like it would be reasonable to believe it's the librium making him sound intoxicated. I can't imagine he has any money to buy liquor. Unless he sold some librium. Hey! What's that sucking sound? (Me being sucked in.) At least, he's 1500 miles away.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I sometimes kid that everytime I have a breakup, I move 1000 miles.
Distance does have it's advantages!

No way to know what he is up to. Might be librium alone....might have traded drugs or sold for alcohol or whatever. Librium does have street value. Benzos are getting hard to get ahold off.

(Iused to be prescribed high dosages of several drugs in this class and they are so alike)
Old 08-19-2010, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As long as you get to move someplace good. Next time Hawaii?

Valium once saved my sanity and I think the hysteria over benzodiazepines is silly. But it is true they are highly addictive. . .
Old 08-19-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do not like Oklahoma and that is the nicest way I can say it! LOL
I came here from Florida...am moving again with sweetie to Eastern Tennesse, it is so pretty there!

I hear ya...I am convinced xanax saved my life for awhile but due to the tolerance and raised doses it really screwed my head and body up.
But if I get terrible anxiety again I will ask for a benzo.
I didn't think I would ever say that...but having tried other meds, they either didn't work or messed me up worse

How long have you all been separated?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

E Tennessee is pretty and even prettier if you're with someone who cares for you, I would imagine. I moved here from Virginia. Time to give up the fight and opt for flight. I know you know what I mean. And I know what you mean about Oklahoma.