Notices

Day 4-And Life is Good

Old 08-19-2010, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4-And Life is Good

So that's what a solid night's sleep feels like?

I was just talking to my wife about how our lives would have been so different if I'd done this several years ago. "Don't look back, honey", she said. "Look forward. And go to your damn meeting today!"

Man, I'm a lucky one. She's put up with me, bailed me out, and for reasons known only to God, loved me. I've not been a good husband, or father, and that's what I've set out to change.

Spent the evening with the kids last night, talking to them, laughing. I guess I have to get to know them, now, because I couldn't really do that before.

I guess I get to reclaim my life.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I realize that this new life has been a gift, and if you get this experience of Grace, you've got to keep your priorities straight, because you never know. - Judy Collins, singer
Old 08-19-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WTG BDT! Looks like you have a wonderful support system all the way around. I grew up with an alcoholic father. When he quit drinking, I did need to get to know him again. He's one of the most beautiful, wonderful human beings I know. I'm so thankful for him. Your giving your children the gift of you.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Man, I'm a lucky one. She's put up with me, bailed me out, and for reasons known only to God, loved me. I've not been a good husband, or father, and that's what I've set out to change.
Ain't that the truth. If the roles had been reversed I can almost guarantee I would have split years ago. Beneath our alcohol riddled exteriors they must have seen the qualities that made us fall in love in the first place. God bless all the spouses who have stood beside us through all the embarrassment, disappointment, the list goes on, etc.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm still wondering why my husband hasn't left me yet. I can't believe how lucky we are to have such wonderful spouses.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

BDT, congratulations on your Day 4. I'm really happy for you that you realize what you have with your family.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, Fandy.

I'm not sure if I didn't realize it before, or if I didn't give a ****.

Well, either way, I do now. My son just colored all the shapes the right color. I would have missed that otherwise.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Off to AA. See you guys when I get back.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, what a great screen name. Good for you.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
xuse

congrats good your feeling better
Old 08-19-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great meeting. We discussed Living Sober, particularly the chapter about Self-Pity. Heard a lot of things I didnt want to hear, but I'm glad I heard them.

Thought of an evil game on the way home. I should make it a point to go through DUI checkpoints now. They always run your license for warrants, and they always get your record, according to a cop friend of mine. What are the odds they'd claim they smell alcohol?

Just me being me......
Old 08-19-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats!! Today is my 4th day which I have actually been working on quiting for awhile the weekends are the hardest for me.Although I've never been this serious about it.I've just gotten to realize that it's beyond my control. I can't pass up a beer and I can never have just one and I black out ,have no idea what the hell happened. (scarey as hell!!)I'm praying my Higher Power will guide me through this. I have to keep working at it. I went to AA the other nite and really enjoyed it too. Good luck to all.