Notices

Time Can Be Your Friend Again

Old 08-18-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Smile Time Can Be Your Friend Again

When I first quit drinking, time felt strange. I was accustomed to drinking every evening from about five-midnight, and when I stopped, those hours seemed empty and painful.

In time, though, I got used to filling my evenings again, and now time feels exhilirating, free, and real. Sure, I still get bored sometimes, but it no longer feels daunting or tedious, because I know it will pass, and I know how to cope better now. And for the most part, my evenings feel full and good. I have plenty to do, and before I know it, it's getting late (like now!).

I hope any newcomers seeing this message, if you're feeling bored or lonely during your first few days, will take comfort in hearing it does get better. I had a lovely, sober evening tonight, and walked home feeling free and alive, enjoying the atmosphere. When I checked in here, I realized today I have been sober for exactly four months. I wouldn't change that for anything.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember how strange it was too - but sitting myself here helped a lot
These days I genuinely wonder how I had time to drink LOL
D
Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Boredom mixed with being alone is a major trigger of mine. However, I realized I didn't do anything special while drinking... just watched TV/ hung out onthe computer. I can do that sober without feeling awful the next morning. good post!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good, good thoughts, AG - thanks! I really didn't think I could get over the boredom part of being sober. I thought I was different from every else (sound familiar? haha). But to my surprise and delight, I can say that everyone here is absolutely right - it does get better and it's happening to me, too.