Notices

New..again

Old 08-18-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New..again

Relapsed a week before getting to six months clean. Sucks. I'm in recovery again though. Today's officially DAY ONE.

I'm taking it fifteen minutes at a time. One...two...three..
Old 08-18-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

four...five...six...
Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Willable
Welcome to SR

Many of us had a few stumbles getting this sober living thing right.
Look at what happened and whre you went wrong...then move on and think about what you need to add to your strategy this time.

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 08-18-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope you get some support here....there are plenty of us.
seven....eight....nine
Old 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grouch and Brainstorm

Hey Wilable.

Sometimes its not about trying harder, it's about completely surrendering.

Are you truly done trying your way? Because if it's about staying-away-from-a-drink-one-day-at-a-time, that usually fails for the chronic alcoholic who has not had a vital spiritual change.

Our willpower, even when sober, is nothing in the face of our obsession with alcohol. When you understand that hopelessness in your heart, when you can reduce your options to jail, institutions, death or recovery...then the hope begins.

Ironic, ain't it?

We need to be broken completely down and then re-built through recovery.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cool

"...if it's about staying-away-from-a-drink-one-day-at-a-time, that usually fails for the chronic alcoholic..."

I never liked that one-day-at-a-time/just-for-today stuff.....Of course I can only live in today, but the one-day-at-a-time/just-for-today stuff in regards to quitting drinking; well, it just seemed too limiting to me.....

I preferred to quit like some others did many years ago....."...for good and all..." ...although some have told me 'never say never' or 'never say you quit forever' ....but so far, after 24+ years, it's worked.....and I know it will continue fo work...............for good 'n all....!

(o:
NoelleR
Old 08-18-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I stopped, thinking about not drinking forever was too momentous, too immense.

Thinking in terms of 'just for today' helped me get through the early days - and eventually, it got me to a point where in my case I did decide to quit for good.

Horses for courses

Keep checking in wilable
D
Old 08-18-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

For myself, I had to remove ANY thoughts of EVER drinking again.

I skipped the grand pronouncements, but I certainly can say I intend never to drink again.

However, I can only actually LIVE not drinking a day at a time. I can't live the rest of my life until it comes.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You'll find lots of support and kind folks here. Just want to +1 what has already been said. ~6 months is a HUGE feat, and you'll be right back at it in no time! Hope to hear more from you soon.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grouch and Brainstorm

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
"...if it's about staying-away-from-a-drink-one-day-at-a-time, that usually fails for the chronic alcoholic..."

I never liked that one-day-at-a-time/just-for-today stuff.....Of course I can only live in today, but the one-day-at-a-time/just-for-today stuff in regards to quitting drinking; well, it just seemed too limiting to me.....

I preferred to quit like some others did many years ago....."...for good and all..." ...although some have told me 'never say never' or 'never say you quit forever' ....but so far, after 24+ years, it's worked.....and I know it will continue fo work...............for good 'n all....!

(o:
NoelleR
Well said, Noelle!
Old 08-18-2010, 04:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grouch and Brainstorm

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
For myself, I had to remove ANY thoughts of EVER drinking again.

I skipped the grand pronouncements, but I certainly can say I intend never to drink again.

However, I can only actually LIVE not drinking a day at a time. I can't live the rest of my life until it comes.
I like the way you put it.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I agree.

Once I decided that drinking was no longer an option, other ways of dealing with things came to me. My previous thoughts had been, well, I had a bad day, what else can I do but drink. That thought pattern continued until I knew that drinking could never happen again.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Still new...again

Thanks for the words everyone. I've decided to take it 15 minutes at a time. My drug o'choice is crack cocaine. Getting through the cravings for that monster is a moment to moment thing. I refuse to even look ahead as far as tomorrow. Right bloody now without using is what I'm going with.

Thank god for junk food and my Droid Hero phone!

Good choices, y'all...
Old 08-19-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! and Day 1 for me as well. Almost making 6 months to me is incredible! I haven't gone passed day 2 in about 13 years.. I'll be celebrating (with a glass of milk) when I hit the 1 month mark!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eremc08 View Post
Welcome! and Day 1 for me as well. Almost making 6 months to me is incredible! I haven't gone passed day 2 in about 13 years.. I'll be celebrating (with a glass of milk) when I hit the 1 month mark!
All I'm expecting of me right now is to stay clean today (15 minutes at time!) Thats how I got the clean time before my relapse. Gotta head to a meeting today as well.

Now's the time to live and breathe sobriety. For now, that's the ONLY goal!

Good choices, m'man...
Old 08-20-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

eremc08 Funny I was just finishing my milk when I read this. Yes one day at a time i know what to expect since I am starting over also. I had itchy skin,bad dreams,couldn't sleep but then every day is an accomplishment and I remember how proud I was of myself and how great I felt in the mornings. So a bump in the road...we don't have to cry over spilled milk. We can be grateful that it wont ever be again spilled wine beer alcohol. So wilable today aug 20th is officially my 1st day after 52 days sober. congrats to us for coming back!!