Notices

Need Some Advice

Old 08-14-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Some Advice

Hey Everyone,

I have been going through some challenges this past week. I just returned back home from being away for 13 weeks for a summer internship 1,000 miles from home. The job was in the town where I grew up and had lots of freinds and family. Now I live far away from there. Incidentally, when I was getting ready to leave back in May, I was really scared/nervous. At that time I had been sober for a while (223 days today) and was feeling great about my sobriety. I was loving life and really motivated. My only concern was going back to the old stomping grounds and leaving the place where I felt safe. Turns out, things went great. I found new AA meetings to go to and met some really great people who helped me adjust.

Throughout that time I had some tough tests that required me to use all the tools I have learned in recovery-they came through with flying colors by the way. Still though, I was eagerly awaiting the day that I could get back home and back to my schedule. The problem is, now instead of it being a great return, I am feeling nervous all over again. Maybe it is because I am far away from freinds and family-something I got back in touch with this summer.

I dont think I have taken steps backwards so much as my own confidence has seemingly decreased. I am still going to meetings and working with my sponsor, but I am feeling kind of discouraged-like I have backtracked.

Has anyone else gone through this? I was looking at my posts over the last few weeks and was feeling really good. Is it normal for things to go from seeming awesome to challenging like this over the course of a couple days?

Thanks for the help
Old 08-14-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

We all go thru growing pains
in recovery.

From what you shared you
seem to take ur recovery
seriously and that it is
important to you in ur life.

Cudos for you.

Continue doing the next best
thing. Listen to ur gut and
heart as it won't steer you
wrong.

Read ur material, work on ur
defects of character, share
ur experiences, strengths and
hopes of what it was like before
during and after drinking with
anyone who wishes to hear.

A Power greater than you will
guide you as seen fit.

Remember things will happen in
ur HP's time and not yours.

When least expected as i continued
doing what I was suppose to, i was
taken care of....not emmediately
as i wanted, but as I was needed.

Your doing fine.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

There will always be challenges. For most of us, I don't know if there will ever be a time to sit back and relax, no matter how long we are sober.

You are doing so great! You have done so great! Clearly what you are doing, and have done, is working. Trust in yourself a bit. Keep doing what worked.

It is probably good you are nervous. It is good you still worry. Keeps you sharp.

You are inspiring HIgby.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot guys-that helps. Yeah I guess being nervous is a good thing. One of the things I do to keep things in perspective is to look back on my journal entries-both for the good stuff and the bad.

Have a good one
Old 08-14-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When reading your post I was reminded about when I went to live overseas. I knew it was goin to be a culture shock so I prepared mentally for all the differences. Everything went well. What shocked the heck out o me was when.I came back and experienced reverse culture shock...I was caught off guard. To me that is what your situation reminds me of:-)
Old 08-14-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, recovery has not been a straight line. It has many bumps in the road and sometimes I have been side-tracked. But, it's all okay. It sounds like you're doing well. My advice would be to try to not have expectations about your return, old friends, etc. Just see what happens and know that some changes might occur, and that's okay.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds to me like you're doing great HIgby

Like Ghostly and other said - there will always be challenges, and it's ok to feel nervous.
I think it would be weird if you didn't

D
Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

13 weeks is a long time to be away, and you had a lot of stimulation there. Naturally it's going to feel weird to be home again and will take some time to get into your groove again. I felt disoriented after just a week of being away. Have you ever spent several days in bed, sick, and then when you finally go outside to run an errand or something, it's like you don't have your "land legs?"

My mother always reminded me that after any event in our lives (even something like a holiday), there's going to be a let down. I'm thinking the same as everyone else - you're doing great! You had a good summer, paid attention to your recovery and stayed sober. WOW - that's an accomplishment!