Notices

A Basic Shower

Old 08-14-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Basic Shower

This is very embarrassing to admit but since my AL problem has gotten worse and me and and my BF split, I haven't been taking care of myself. I go 3,4,5 days without bothering to shower. The night before i'll set my alarm a little earlier and tell myself "You need to get up and shower, blow dry your hair, before work tomorrow." This week, I'm so tired from drinking the night before, I just keep hitting snooze until i have just a few minutes to throw on some close and put my hair in a ponytail before i go to work. Ive been wearing my hair up all this last week. Can anyone relate to this? Or am I just disgusting?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, I can relate.

What are you going to do about your alcohol problem? These things tend not to get better on their own...
Old 08-14-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate and agree wih Lexie, what are you going to do?

There is a lot of advice and info here, and we would love to help.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

A lot (if not all) of the people on SR can relate to not taking care of ourselves while we were drinking / using or both.

Clearly, the issue is not you missing showers. It is not you sleeping in. It is not your lack of hygiene. It is not you being tired.

It is your DRINKING! A lot will not get better till you address that.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate to this. Try showering in the evening or stop drinking.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

take a shower AND stop drinking.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Drinking never got in the way
of my personal needs then nor
20 yrs sober now.

I was raised in a way that I
always worried about what
others thought or would
think of me.

Today of course im still
worried about that, but
a constant reminder from
within that it really doesnt
matter what anyone thinks,
just as long as Im happy
with me.

In rehab i would show up
in group with every hair in
place and all made up. Lip
stick and all.

As i was learning about masks
that we wear when drinking,
i had to learn to lose the mask
and be true to myself.

I went one day without and felt
uncomfortable....they laughed
at me and knew exactly where
i was coming from....lol

Today i still like to look nice
but not a ridget as I use to
be.

Today its all about progress
and not too much about
perfection.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

J, The whale in your avatar is smiling from his bath maybe you will too! Sometimes when I feel sad I force to myself to take a shower even if I do nothing but stand there under the water. Maybe you could try that. Turn on water, undress, step in shower, let the water wash over you, get out, dry off, get dressed. I bet you will feel 100 times better. If you can't do it in the morning, tonight after work try it and then go lay down. If you feel it still takes too much effort don't worry about it. I'm sure eventually you will want to. hugs
Old 08-14-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When my drinking got to the heaviest part, if i wasn't going to work I never bothered to shower, it seemed like too much effort.....it fueled my depressed state which fueled more drinking, that vicious cycle...I felt disgusting and didn't even care...i cleaned the catbox and fed the animals and laid in my bed like a dying slug...I didn't care that I was killing myself, i kept thinking I was mourning the loss of a long-slow-dying relationship.

Something in my head made me stop the night I searched and found SR website...it was the wealth of support, exchanged information that gave me the desire to change.

But you have to want to stop and you have to educate yourself about what you need to do to stop. (JMHO)
Old 08-14-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can definitely relate too Jewels.

Sorry but it's not clear to me whether you're drinking or simply depressed, or both...I've been there on both counts.

Whatever the cause, I hope you'll seek some help if this goes on.

...and have that shower

Taking care of ourselves is always important, when we're not feeling great it's really important.

D
Old 08-14-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

wow - i take 3 showers a day- workouts and crap. meditate while the water is falling over you. thats what i do. water is very cool and is good. think about positive things.
dub
Old 08-14-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
at peace

Yep, negative ions create positive vibes..water is good
Old 08-14-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jewels - I can relate to not wanting to take a shower when I'm totally hung over; however, if I have to go to work I do make myself presentable.

You did not say whether you want to quit drinking or not. The shower issue is at the bottom of the totem pole compared to the alcoholism. Give up the booze then you'll want to take a shower and you'll be a much happier person. Perhaps you and your BF would get back together.... I'm just guessing that the breakup had to do with drinking. (it usually does.....)
Old 08-14-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A quick skoosh of deodarant and clean underwear and I'd think that folk didn't notice I'd not had a shower for a week. Yeah, sure they didn't.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Been there, done that. I didn't care enough about myself to care for myself. If you're still drinking, get help to stop. And if you still feel depressed after being sober for a while, see a good doctor.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I took a shower this morning! Woohoo!!
No, I haven't quit drinking but need to and want to. I made it 3 days last week and then bought a bottle of wine and haven't had a sober day since. I know I need to quit, I don't want to die and I know if I keep going on this way I will. I'm trying but it is so hard....
Old 08-14-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Jewels,

I know what you mean when you say you're trying, but really, the only way to stop is to stop.

Have you thought about a medical detox and rehab? It might help with getting you on track with taking care of the basics like getting a good hygiene routine, getting yourself together without the pressure of going to work.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Lexie makes a great point, Jewels.

Like I've said a couple of times today, if we want to change things we have to change.
Action is the key

Good luck!
D
Old 08-14-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Jewels,

Sounds like your drinking to get over the break-up. Drown your sorrows. It won't help you one bit. It will make you sad, depressed, uncaring and down right pitiful. The more you drink the worse everything will become.

Please try and get some help. You will feel so much better and think clearer. Maybe see your Doctor and get some help. You CAN get your life back! I know you don't see a way out right now, but there is. Reach out you'll be so much happier.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 08-15-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Jewels I definitely relate to struggling to take a shower. When I was drinking towards the end....I would go days without showering and race out with minutes to spare looking awful. I just didn't have the energy from all the drinking.

I hope you seek help because once I stopped drinking....I found that simple things like making dinner, showering, and other things were quite easy to do.

Of course it is easy now because I don't spend the morning either boozing and putting off getting things done or laying awake feeling like a zombie....wondering how to get out of bed without collapsing.

Hang in there. There are many options and if I can get sober....ANYONE can get sober.

Stay the course.