Notices

how do you feel

Old 08-13-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
xuse

how do you feel

I feel pretty good today but a question how do you feel when you see an ad for the demon alcohol or someone in the store buying or maybe just someone else drinking is it sad,anger ,or tempted,jealous or nothing
Old 08-13-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xuse View Post
I feel pretty good today but a question how do you feel when you see an ad for the demon alcohol or someone in the store buying or maybe just someone else drinking is it sad,anger ,or tempted,jealous or nothing
I don't feel anything because most people can enjoy a beer or two while watching the game for example.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Haven't been around it much, but when I am it makes me sad, not because I can't drink it but that anyone would drink it...I no longer can see sor understand its appeal.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I first quit drinking, seeing people drinking or even walking past the wine isle at the grocery store made me physically ill. Now, I still close my eyes when I walk past the wine isle and wish it wasn't there (they didn't start selling wine in my part of town until just AFTER I quit drinking...) but it doesn't make me sick. My health club is in between 2 bars that have outdoor seating and often when I come out of the club there are people sitting outside drinking and actually I feel sorry for them because they possibly don't know how much more fun you can have sober than you can drinking. Just today at lunchtime I was walking my dog and a neighbor came walking towards me with a 12 pack of beer in his hand, he had walked to the grocery store (about 1/2 mi) to get the beer and it's about 105 deg outside but he HAD to have that beer.....I was just glad I wasn't him.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It really doesn't bother me today, but today is years later. But in the early days, I guess I actually felt sad because I knew I couldn't drink in safety any more because I abused my privileges. I mean, I lost my best friend when I had to quit drinking. I actually grieved the loss.

Harry
Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
xuse

it makes me feel a little of all
Old 08-13-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Honestly........ I get jealous, knowing that others can do it, but knowing that I cannot. It pissed me off and makes me upset -- at times.. but, then I think, look how bad it's messed up my life.........
Old 08-13-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It makes me sad/angry/feeling pathetic/jealous/ and glad l don't do it anymore.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
xuse

me to
Old 08-13-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Today is my 2 week "birthday" and so far I've seen my sister, and my husband drink, and yesterday I made 60 jello shots for my sisters bachelorette party, and didnt even have a taste. I don't feel anything I guess. When I think of life without drinking, I guess I get a little sad. I mean, we go up north, sit around the campfire, we go out for St Pattys Day every year etc. But nothing is better than the feeling of control and accomplishment these 2 weeks have given me. So maybe one day it will get harder, but for now, I'm ok.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
xuse

im on day six i dont feel great but alooot better its friday i have family support no cravings but i also no there will be times it wont be easy cause im an addict it feels wierd saying that but i have finally admited it and it feels better than denial but im focused on today now one day at a time
Old 08-13-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt all those things at one time too xuse, but it's been years since I can say that now.
Time does move on, and so do we - we do really 'recover' in the full sense of the word

Congratulations on your 6 days
D
Old 08-13-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't notice it.. but it took a lot of work to get here!
Old 08-13-2010, 02:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
6/20/08

When I first quit I thought about it all the time. If I saw in in the supermarket, I'd want just a taste. Sometimes it was hard to keep that grocery cart going in the right direction. If I was somewhere and everyone was drinking, I'd be mad about something.

Now, seriously, I don't think a thing. Not one thing. I worked hard to get here.

Sobriety really does take care of you. It really does.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't care at all.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
xuse

thanks to all im staying busy multitasking but im gonna use my crutch this place for how ever long it takes i do have my wife and children but to get to talk to people who no what im going through is good my wife loves me and knows me but she doesnt no what im going through how could she because she doesn t even drink these are my demons
Old 08-13-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Xuse. What you feel now will change as you go along, I promise. I was jealous & sorry for myself in the very beginning when I saw people enjoying alcohol. It took me a few months to calm down and get over that feeling of missing out on something.

My nerves were shot in the beginning, and everything bothered me. I went through many stages, and ended up feeling very calm and peaceful about the whole thing - no more resentment - just gratitude for making it out alive.

Keep going - you're doing great!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think it's yet another example of how we judge our insides based on others' outsides.

what appears glam and suave in commercials, magazines, etc. is exactly what the advertising media wants us to believe (alcohol=fun=friends=the life).

I recall houses that I used to drive by, especially in early winter months, with lights flickering low and smoke swirling out of the chimney stack and imagining the Waltons snuggled up with a good book and sharing steaming cocoa...

While these do exist, I've come to know that alot of these seemingly nice white picket fences behind closed door houses were not at all what they appeared to be.

I think it's important to not get caught up in the glam of media and compare ourselves with such unrealistic expectations.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't enjoy being around other people's drinking. It doesn't make me envious, it's just of no interest whatsoever to me.

It's kind of the way I feel when people around me start talking about sports (football, baseball, who's going to win the Stanley Cup). I zone out and start looking for the exit. Bores me to tears.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

At the beginning after the "pink cloud" went away....I was sad, I thougtht of it as grieiving the death of a dear old friend...at almost 7 months....I'm at peace with it most days..doesnt bother me to see ads, or see people drinking...