Death is the opposite of Birth-does the spirit live on?

Old 08-11-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Question Death is the opposite of Birth-does the spirit live on?

Eckhart Tolle says:
"that while death is the opposite of birth, it is not the opposite of life."
I don't know what I believe about the spirit as I haven't formed an opinion yet. I welcome your opinions.
Does the spirit live on ?

It's two mos. today since my 26 yr. old son died of OD in my home as he visited me for his B'day. His struggle w/ addiction over, my journey
with grief in progress.
Although I had fear, I never thought this would actually happen.
Just last summer, also in the mo. of June, he came home from another
state to take me to a AA meeting. He wanted me to witness him take a one yr. chip. I found that one yr. chip today as I was cleaning out a box.
Just a yr. ago was such a happy time, a celebration.

I Cry Tears
They sting my soul as they sting my cheeks
I close my eyes wishing I could get my son back
Those evil cruel words...Your son is gone, your son is no more
But he is not gone, he is here
Right here in my broken aching heart
and I cry tears that sting my soul as they sting my cheeks
Old 08-11-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

((((HUGS))))

I'm so sorry. Those words seem so inadequate, but it's all I really have. I can't imagine the pain you must feel. Please, take care of yourself.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

It is a good question. My heart is with you darling... Im not too sure what I think also, but somehow I think the spirit lives on, especially in our hearts. My heart is breaking also, my sister passed away Nov last year. I have three sons, one 26 also, I cant imagine the pain of that.
I'll tell you a story, ok;
My pain has been so deep, I cried every day. I think alot of my tears were more so from the reason she died and why? What may have been, I think and more so that I will never share my life with her again.
One day, I decided to clean my bathroom and I noticed a shining reflection. I had to put on my glasses to see what it was. It was a crystal angel, that I had given her. I thought it had been lost in the clean up of her house but somehow it stayed tied to some soaps my mother had given her. It was a bad morning, tears and sorrow, but since this happened somehow I think it was her message to me, that she was ok. This has given me some calmness. Maybe finding your sons chip is his message to you.
Cry and cry some more sweet darling Spiritualseeker, its ok, and I send all my love to you at this sad time.
JJ
Old 08-11-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do not know exactly how the spirit lives on, only that it does...I feel like there is so much beyond what we can even imagine, Spiritual Seeker, but I have had moments in my life where I was completely connected to something greater than myself. I have been given gifts from loved ones that have crossed over, as I suspect finding that chip today was. Your son loved you and I have envied your relationship with him..that continues on. Still think of you very often and send you good thoughts...
Old 08-11-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
it is what it is

Dear SS - your grief comes through your words so clearly - you are living the fear we all face and i am so sorry that you are bearing that burden - i will pray for you to be comforted and find the answers you seek - i do not know what your understanding of your HP is - i do know that a HP is bigger than anything we ever will deal with here in this life - i hope you can allow that power to envelope you - i wish there were words that could make the pain go away or more bearable - but i do not know of words that significant -
Old 08-11-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Spiritual Seeker... it's been almost a month since my sister died of overdose. I do not know either if the spirit lives on. But I know that she has left behind in the world people who are impacted by her life. Mostly us, her family. Most of all her lovely daughter. I am sending you healing wishes and warm thoughts for you to find your peace with what has happened. I'm sorry for all your pain and I share your questions and your aching loss.

Lisa
Old 08-11-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Justo and SisterHelp so sorry we have the premature loss of our loved ones in common.
I do find comfort in sharing the journey as we struggle to get to acceptance of what is.
Our loves ones did impact lives, mostly ours. Thank you for reminding me to be grateful for the time I had with my son.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sending prayers for you. I can't imagine what it is like to go through that. I think that loved ones' spirit lives on. I don't understand how, but I still feel that they are with me. I feel like their spirit offers me guidance and is there to keep me from being alone.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello my friend I do think the spirit lives on. I though my world came to a end when my son died. I miss him everyday and love him just as much as I did when he was here. His spirit will live as long and he is in my heart and in the heart of everyone who loved him. Every time I hear a special song play he is telling me he is with me. He is no longer in pain and in a wonderfull place his spirit will never die because it is with me.
Your friend,
Maggiemac
Old 08-11-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Spiritual Seeker,
My heart aches for you. Even tho I believe in the eternal life, I feel it is so hard to be left behind , but we have to go on, for the rest of our family, friends, and ourselves. As we would want our loved ones to do, should we leave them behind.

When my mother died, her face appeared above me one night, in my sleep, in the most vivid hallucination/dream. She had the most lovely glow, and looked perfectly at peace, and was smiling as if to tell me that she was perfect now-no longer the alcohol ravaged woman who died too soon. She looked to be about 30ish- just perfect and serene and full of love. She did not say a word, but I felt the most intense love that you could imagine. Due to her alcoholism , we had never had a good relationship. This dream made me forgive her, for it told me that she was not the same woman anymore.

The amazing thing- my sister describes the same dream about the same time- just our mothers face above us. and we both described how she looked and felt perfectly happy and complete.

When i lost my beloved cat Tember to kidney disease two years ago, this September, I was so heartbroken. She was very special to me. I was dreading the one year anniversary of her going to the "rainbow bridge".The week of the one year anniversary, one day I was cleaning out the closet and I found an old negative. I could see it was her. I had it developed, and it was the most lovely picture of her, in her healthiest prime. I feel strongly that it was a gift from her.

There are so many things that I have seen, or been told, about signs from our darling ones gone on ahead of us. I feel that life continues, in another perfect form, and they wait for us. I just believe that life goes on and on, and that love keeps us connected.

I am so sorry dear lady, for your pain. It is in direct proportion to how much we love, as deep as our love. Your son sounds like a very loving young man. I too, envy the relationship between you two. I could only wish that my son would want to share something with me, as your son did with you.

That precious token, perhaps he is making sure that in your sorrow, you remember how much he loves you.

My thoughts are with you. He is with you, always. Ever near. That is what I truly believe.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spiritual Seeker View Post
Eckhart Tolle says:
"that while death is the opposite of birth, it is not the opposite of life."
I don't know what I believe about the spirit as I haven't formed an opinion yet. I welcome your opinions.
Does the spirit live on ?

It's two mos. today since my 26 yr. old son died of OD in my home as he visited me for his B'day. His struggle w/ addiction over, my journey
with grief in progress.
Although I had fear, I never thought this would actually happen.
Just last summer, also in the mo. of June, he came home from another
state to take me to a AA meeting. He wanted me to witness him take a one yr. chip. I found that one yr. chip today as I was cleaning out a box.
Just a yr. ago was such a happy time, a celebration.

I Cry Tears
They sting my soul as they sting my cheeks
I close my eyes wishing I could get my son back
Those evil cruel words...Your son is gone, your son is no more
But he is not gone, he is here
Right here in my broken aching heart
and I cry tears that sting my soul as they sting my cheeks
SpiritualSeeker, First off I would like to start by saying I'm very sorry and sad for the loss of your son. It's a cruel and horrible agony, to have your son's life taken at such a young age, from such a good and loving mother. I'm with you, if you ever need a friend.

The answer to your question for me is YES, I do believe than when we die, just our bodies are put to rest. Our spirit leaves the body, and all the things we feel in life, which are pain, happiness, sadness, joy, and love, are traveling freely through the universe. I read that in a few different places.

I am not a psychic or a scientist or anything other than a regular person who believes in GOD. So I'm sure other's might not agree with me on this. And I don't care who does or doesn't agree. I have no way of knowing for sure, because I didn't die yet, but I do think it's very possible for the spirit to travel on, and move quickly through the universe.

I DON'T think the spirit dies. I don't know what your religious faith teaches you, but you might be better off talking to a priest, or a rabbi, or a minister of some sort. Someone with alot of knowledge in spirituality, can probably answer that question so much better than I. I can reccomend a book by Betty J. Eadie,it's called Embraced by the Light. She died on the operating table, and her life was saved by the doctors, but she remembered everything about being out of her body, and had the ability to write about her experiences on the other side of life.

I too have lost my brother to a drug overdose, and my mom to alcohol addiction, and I have peace knowing that they are alright and that they are not suffering anymore. I get alot of little signs that they are always with me. Such as my son is in a recovery program, and the address of the place is 5140 and my deceased brothers' birthday is 0514. Also the phone number's last 4 digits are my mother's birthday. 0812. That tells me they are watching over my boy.

Your son loves you and will always be your son. He lives inside of you. He is part of you, and will always be your child. You will see him again in eternity. I believe that. Please take care of yourself, and get some grief support.

I'm so sorry that you are suffering through this tradgedy. My heart breaks for you from one mom to another.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss. As you know I lost my boyfriend last month to this disease, and have given idea of life after death sleepless nights... I have no idea, from a spiritual side, I don't know anymore. I have my faith, and I never lost it though this... From a scientific side, energy does not die, it only transforms from one entity to another... Our cells in our body regenerate all the time and the shells we walk in are not the same shells from years ago, and yet we are the same. Sure we have grown and changed a little, but the core of our soul has not changed, and yet physically we are not the same... As far as death, I am too numb to feel anything, and a friend had told me I will not feel anything right now because I am grieving. I have only had two dreams with my love, and I am getting upset I have not dreamed of him more...
Old 08-11-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh and my boyfriend literally died in a car accident years ago. One of the reasons his addiction started. He was pronounced dead... He said he was in a field walking towards something a light, he was not sure what, but was curious... He is convinced there is an afterlife... All the doctors and nurses at the hospital could not understand how he came back.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

SS, I'm sorry for your loss

I lost my mother 4 years ago, when my children were too young to remember her. The other day my oldest told me that her grandmother had visited her. Taken aback I asked how, my oldest told me that when they were playing in the yard that there were many butterflies in the yard with them. It was simultaneously sweet and tinged with sadness for me.... I know my mother's spirit lives on because of similar seemingly random things

You found that chip today for a reason, IMO.

I'll pray for strength for you and your family.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

SS and all the others who lost loved ones, my heart and thoughts remain with you. I understand how hard reality must be even when you expect it to happen.

I absolutely believe that the spirit lives on. I imagine the big loving arms of God held wide open to lovingly embrace all who pass on. In a very abstract way.

My brother committed suicide years ago and also appeared in a very vivid dream to me with a look and feel of such love and peace. His words to me was: Don't you know where I am now I cannot suffer anymore? It changed me from a lukewarm Christian/borderline atheist to total belief in a higher power of incredible love. I have never experienced such total love here on earth and am convinced it was for real.

Even though it is incredibly hard for us who stay behind, maybe the thought of your son engulfed in all-encompassing love will eventually bring you some peace.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Spiritual,

I know that sometimes I feel as though I can feel someone, like their essence, kind of inside of me. I think that's what we consider our heart. I don't know if it's wishful thinking, or the memory of the intense connection we have had, or something truly spiritual going on. But I would say that perhaps it doesn't matter.

I also want to encourage you to continue posting. Come here, and as many places as you can think of, to seek understanding, comfort, solace. Unfortunately, it takes a very long time to start to feel whole again. You are doing all the right things.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Spiritual, Lisa, Maggiemac and all others who have lost a loved one from this disease......please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers for healing & comfort.

I do believe their spirit's live on.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have no doubt at all that our loved ones spirit lives on. My late Grandma loved loved loved Cardinals, every time I see one I feel her and it makes me smile.

When my Dad had a stroke last year, it was the morning of the day we were going to take him off the ventilator...I was on my back porch drinking coffee and just thinking about what was coming. I said out loud..'Well Gram, Dad will be there soon with you..please hug him for me when he gets there". Wouldn't you know it as SOON as I finished that thought, a beautiful cardinal swooped through the yard directly in front of me...it was a very powerful moment and at that point I knew..just knew that she really was there. Not long after Dad's funeral, I was still struggling with missing him but hoping he really was in a wonderful place with Jesus. I woke up in the middle of the night, I mean fully awake for no reason...and heard him say "Hiya Sweetie"! That was how he always answered the phone when I would call ).

So yeah, they are there and they know how much we love and miss them...I'm sure of it. I am so so very sorry you lost your son, my son is a heroin addict and I've no doubts that I could be in your place one day. So sorry for your pain..
Old 08-12-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I only share this when the time is right and this is one of those times. Back in '92, I went into anaphylactic shock and very briefly died. The ER doc told me afterward if I had waited a few more minutes to come to the ER, I would not have survived it.

I saw the white light that others talk about and it was blinding. But what I felt is what stays with me more than anything else. The best way for me to describe it is to reference giving birth, and the outpouring of love I felt, except that I was the conscious recipient of all that love. It was so overwhelming that I cried tears of joy when I came back to 'earth'. I told everyone and anyone that listened, that it was like being bathed in euphoria.

I remember the journey back and I saw stars all around me as the light receded. I cried from joy and sadness, too, that I was no longer in that light and warmth.

Then there's my ethnic, spiritual background. I come from a long line of medicine men and women, spiritual guides (we don't call them shamans). I come from a ghost clan and we're considered the gatekeepers between this world and the next. I have seen and felt my loved ones from the other side, things that have no rational explanation. They are always here to guide me and all I have to do is ask, be willing to see and listen.

I look at all that I have been privileged to experience, as my Creators promise that we live and are loved eternally and our spirit never dies.

I know I can't convince you of any of this. All I can say is that in my experience, all of our loved ones who have passed on, are there just beyond our grasp, waiting and willing to share that love and euphoria that they have received. It's too much to hold, it has to be shared
Old 08-12-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

SS
You are living the nightmare that we all have. I just want to say "thank you". Sharing your grieving process with those of us who fear it, gives us strength. I hope that you are able to pull strength from all of us here as well.

As far as the spirit goes......personally I do believe that our spirit goes on but there is no pain. There is no sorrow. There are no cravings. There are no regrets. There is no guilt. There is no shame. It is just......serenity.

I believe your son knew the depth of your love and understands it even clearer now.

You are in my thoughts every day.

gentle hugs