My Recovery Vacation

Old 08-08-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Cool My Recovery Vacation

There was a time, not many years ago, when this Codie never went anywhere because she was afraid of what might happen while she was away.
Years were wasted living in fear, and living in the illusion that I could control the outcome of anything.

A wonderful gift of recovery is that I live my life well today, I take responsibility for my own health and behaviour and I have fun.

This week I am heading up to Mooselips cottage, a place I like to call Moose Island on Codie Lake. It is my 6th year up there, I think.
We will hike and kayak and watch the moon rise while sitting on Moon Rock or the beach, depending on where it will rise.
We will visit Picnic Island where the only inhabitants are us and the birds and swim and talk and laugh.

We will walk over Serenity Bridge (a wooden walk-only structure) to the adjoining island and visit another friend and stop on the way home to watch the waves and the birds. And we will sit on the screened in porch, sharing our stories, our lives and our recovery.

We will have fun, we will laugh and we will share a friendship that began here at SR and has lasted for years.

Her son is in prison and her other son struggles (she shares that here so I am not outing anyone).
My son has been missing for about 6 years now, lost in his disease somewhere, and all our children are in Gods hands.

We could live in the problem and stay home and try to fix what is not ours to fix. We could live in fear and darkness each day of our lives. We could, but we choose not to, today.

Instead we will live in the solution, recovery. We will say prayers for our boys and leave the rest between them and God.
And we will have fun, enjoy the sunsets and beauty, and treasure a friendship that began by sharing our pain and continued by sharing our recovery.

So if you wonder where I have gone for the next 5 or 6 days, I will be at Moose Island, living my recovery and loving my life.

You will all be there with us, in spirit. You are all part of why we can do this, because you walk with us in our recovery every day. Love you all.

Hugs
Old 08-08-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

Your vacation sounds wonderful! I could use a vacation, but can't go anywhere right now... so I will daydream of yours and live vicariously through you two! Have a great time!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a wonderful vacation Ann and send smooches to Moose for us!

I remember missing a wonderful family New Year's in Vermont with my siblings because my daughter didn't want to go (of course not; she would have been away from her connections) and i was too afraid to leave her. I still believed I had some control over her addiction at that time. I'm so glad we have found recovery and live it, not live in the past or the fear. Safe travels...Enjoy! I know you will be sharing your love and light wherever you go!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
work in progress

Moose Island on Codie Lake

I love that.

Thank you Ann. I am in the process of fishing myself "out there" one baby step at a time. Hearing this from you helps so much.

Have an absolute splendid time, and thank you for being here.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BBD

Enjoy yout time with Moose. Its the best feeling to have a gf to share stories and life with. Be safe travelling. Smiles, Bonnie
Old 08-08-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

I love recharging the ole battery...HAVE FUN!!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Enjoy your vacation.......your wisdom will be missed for a few days but I have no doubt that you'll recharge your serenity so that you'll come back with many more wise words to share with us all.

Enjoy!

gentle hugs
Old 08-08-2010, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It's amazing how much "stuff" you need to take to a "casual only" vacation, lol. It's warm days and cool nights in August around there, so there will be everything from swim suits to hoodies and jeans.

Thing is, it all has to fit on a little boat that they jaunt back and forth to the marine in. What I really need is a floating U-Haul

I'm looking forward to this so much, it's one time and place where I am disconnected from the rest of the world and surrounded by God's beauty and nature. Life doesn't get better than this

Hugs
Old 08-08-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have fun girls. You deserve it.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ann, I am so happy that you have learned to let go, and not let the worry of having an addict for a son drag you down. I have been there and done that, and like you say, it helped nothing, and was a waste of my precious life.

I will be praying for your son who is still out there. And for Mooselips boys who are struggling with jail and addiction. Even though I am now at peace with my sons problems, and I will not let his addiction take another minute from me, I still feel sad when I hear that your son is missing for 6 years, and that Mooselips boys are still suffering. It just breaks my heart as a mother, knowing how much potential your boys have, and had, and what they have chosen because that poison got into their brains. If it weren't for that garbage those boys lives would have taken a completely different path in life. Because I am convinced that you raised them right.

Today I am offering up my prayers for your boys, that GOD puts a person in their lives that will make them realize that they are, and can be so much more, and that they have families that love them so much. God has those boy in his hands, and even though they are now men, I still believe that they can grow. Hopefully one great man, who's been where they are, and has changed and turned his own life around, will cross your childrens paths, and show them the way to sobriety, honesty, and ofcourse GOD.

Thanks for this post Ann. I hope you have the best time of your life. Enjoy your vacation, and relax. While I am home not feeling so well, I will pray for all of our boys.
GOD always answers my prayers. So, find comfort and peace knowing that I am saying a very special prayer for these young men, and the rosary every morning as well.

:ghug3
Old 08-08-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
it is what it is

I hope both of you have a wonderful vacation. Be careful.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

(((Ann))) - I know you and Moose will have a great time. I've always looked forward to the pics and stories you bring back Give each other a big hug, from me, and watch out for the giant racoons!!

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-08-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Pics and stories?
Oh yes, that sounds fantastic!
Have a wonderful time mooselips and Ann.

Beth

color me a little jealous.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hugs and love to you and Mooses too. I am looking forward to pictures etc upon your return.

I love stories such as this- real people living real life while their loved ones struggles. Not that I love the struggles, but I love the recovery within.

Mom hugs to you both
Cats
Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Ann...............WAIT!!!!!!!! Are you gone yet????
Oh shoot, I'm always a day late and a dollar short. I was going to jump in your car, you know, kinda like the good ole days.

I pray you and Moose are having a WONDERFUL, PEACE-FILLED, SERENE time. I'd love to see that moon rise, sit on Serenity Bridge and laugh with my old (not OLD old but old...you know...) friends.

Would LOVE to see pictures when you get back. Can you message/email me when you get back so I'll know to look for pics here?

Life is throwing me curves, but I learned from THE PRO...YOU...how to handle them in recovery.

I love you, Ann, and will never forget what you did for me in my earlier recovery days. Boy I'm getting "the test" now and I'm drawing on every bit of recovery you taught me. And the good news is....it works! Oh, thank my HP for recovery!

Now one more thing. If you and Moose see another nekkid man, I'm going to be sooooooooooo jealous. !