Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My feelings after 12 years sober but I don't need to drink over them

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all,
I just wanted to express that I am having an extremely hard time right now. I have been on a dry drunk. That is how I found this website in the first place.
I am sharing this for the new person and those not so new to sobriety. I am not going to pick up a drink, though. I don't need to do that. Over the past year, I have turned less and less to my AA program and sought fulfillment in some unhealthy ways. It brought me to my knees but I repeat, I don't need to drink over it.
I am facing my actions and the emotions they create (and they are hell) but I don't need to pick up. I am at the raw, open place of pure desperation and I am not going to drink. I am at the place full of the possibility of growth and recommitment to my recovery and I am choosing that over a drink.
Thank you for being here. I am heading to a 12 step retreat today and I don't need to pick up over the pain that I am feeling.
I need you and thank you so much for being available to me.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you dini. It sounds like you know what you need to do.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dini,

You can find lots of support here.

It helps me to remember that my feelings are just feelings. They don't control me. I can acknowledge them and let them go.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dini (and Anna) for reminding me that my feelings are just feelings and that I don't have to let them lead me to drink. We all have rough days, and it's good to remember that a rough day doesn't have to end with getting drunk.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lildawg View Post
Thanks Dini (and Anna) for reminding me that my feelings are just feelings and that I don't have to let them lead me to drink. We all have rough days, and it's good to remember that a rough day doesn't have to end with getting drunk.
This.