Notices

Blank Spots/ Brain Cramps

Old 08-06-2010, 11:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blank Spots/ Brain Cramps

I just reached in the fridge, grabbed a coke to drink, lifted it to my lips, and it was empty.
Yesterday, my girlfirend stopped by, started to fix herself a soda, and then asked me, "Why are the icetrays in the freezer empty?" Huh, I didn't remember putting them in there.

Sometimes I think I'm losing my marbles here, lol.

Last week, I nuked a cup of coffee to drink in the afternoon one day, and then looked all over the house for the coffee, only to find it at dinner time, still in the microwave.

I hope others here experienced some similar experiences. Oh, and by the way, if you find any marbles, please send em my way, lol.

Day 6 without a drink today. Hope my mind returns soon, lol.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno...I do stuff like that...makes life interesting LOL
congrats on the 6 days D.

D
Old 08-07-2010, 12:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Oh sheesh D, part of that may be age, lol

Actually I didn't know if I was coming or going for about the first 6 months. I would read the Big Book, but by the time I got to the end of a sentence I couldn't remember what it said. I would forget where I put things, or start out to go to another room for something and then not remember what I was going for.

The longer I was in recovery the better the memory became. Then I hit 52 or so and it started again and I had been sober a long time by then.

You see I am a charter member of the CRS (Can't remember sh*t) Club, lmao

Don't drink and slowly the brain cells either return or you build new 'pathways' in your brain.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 08-07-2010, 12:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go FS. Guess what? I still do stuff like that. Like Dee said.....it spices my day up. Always an adventure.

It will get better though but nothing like me searching for my car keys for an hour the other day to find them ummm.....in my pocket.....LOL.

Keep going
Old 08-07-2010, 12:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Laurie, it's great to see you here!! It's been far too long.

Thanks Dee, Kmber & Laurie, at least there's hope for improvement.

I was too embarrassed to mention the sunglasses search, while all along they were on top of my head, lol. Made me feel like a real mental giant, I gotta tell ya.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Brain Fog...

I have a good deal of experience with what I call Brain Fog. It can be depressing at times.

Alcohol abuse is a major cause, although other conditions can include depression. acute/chronic pain, diabetes, thyroid disease, Hepatitis C, fibromyalgia and many other medical conditions.

Things that can help a bit are: physical and mental exercises, good sleeping pattern, "B" vitamins and omega-3s.

First and foremost it is important to see a doctor and rule out any underlying medical conditions.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2010, 02:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hey FS, good to see you again.

I had that problem real bad at the beginning of the year. It's... better now. Not great, but better.

Congratulations on the 6 days.

Take care,
TB
Old 08-07-2010, 02:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sometimes it just doesn't click

I've been working the program and sober on and off for two and a half years, but I still don't think I know what my brain will be like after even longer sober. Sometimes it seems the longer I stay sober, the more I loose my memory! I think it took me more work when I was drinking to remember to do things, so I focused a lot harder then. Now I just seem to be in a big blur over everything. All my medications for ocd and depression sure don't help. but it is comforting to know even if it seems like i'll never have "it" together again, others have been as bad or worse than me and recovered. lol. Good luck and I agree, laugh it off.

Lin*~*Z
Old 08-07-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm always leaving my coffee in the microwave.... I just thought that was normal! I loved the part about finding marbles though!!!

I remember being about a week sober, past the withdrawals, and having several days of brain glitches where I was lose several seconds in my awareness. It was like I was there one minute, not there for a few seconds, and then back to being aware again. It worried me a little, honestly. But it did go away.

I do feel that my memory has improved in the last several months, but when there's a lot going on, it easy to get flustered.....

Just my experience. I don't think you sound like a hopeless case, FS!!:ghug3
Old 08-07-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was looking for my hat the other day, it was just where I left it.... on my head.

Congrats on the six days my friend, add that to your previous sober time, all that you learned in treatment and all the support you have here on SR... and you are off to a good start!!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like kind of a normal day for me.

I write myself a LOT of notes.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

FS......Well done on your fresh start....

When your mind returns ..it will bring new marbles
for your consideration ....
Recovery marbles are really shiny!

I'm a list maker who often misplaces the lists!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

linelebb4e....Welcome to our recovery community..
Good to see you posting with us
Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mat

I've noticed that my short-term memory seems to be worse when I have been sober a few days. I came to the conclusion that it really isn't any worse; when I am drinking every day(even during the hours when I am not drunk), my thought process is slightly less complicated and I don't take note of things like I do when I have some sobriety under my belt. I might not care or notice that I forgot something I wanted to say or misplaced an item.

It could also be that your mind is adjusting to your new life, but some of my worst misplacement bungles have been while sober. I opened my fridge in the morning... "Where's my milk?" I had put it with the cereal in the pantry. Totally ruined!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can't remember much of anything that happened during my drunk and the years before my drunk days. Sometimes I get mad at people for talking about old stories, but I realize I'm really mad at myself. I lost at least 7 years and I tell myself it might be for the best.

Luckily, my brain has allowed me to remember everything since I quit drinking, but I occasionally still have the "coffee in the microwave all day" episode too.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think that drinking has definitely affected my cognitive abilities. I'm almost two years sober, but I have days when I am in exactly the same kind of fog I would be in during my daily withdrawals at work until I could get home and drink again.

I feel it's like having "tunnel vision"--I can focus on what's directly in front of me, but lose any sense of being able to multitask (something I was never great at anyway) and abstract thought (required for my job) is a real struggle.

I'm hoping that over time it will improve.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Mat, that milk in the pantry story cracked me up, because I've went to the fridge to find the milk, only to find it setting on the counter where I left it earlier, ruined as well, lol.

I'm finally beginning to get back into the swing of sobriety, and it feels good today to be a bit more coherent and together. And the morning daze didn't last as long today.

It's a great day to stay sober.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That sounds normal to me. My usual one is going upstairs for something and by the time I've got up there, I've forgotten what I was going for. Blonde moments!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR linelebb4e
D
Old 08-07-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

PAWS pause

I missplaced alot of things early on (more so than usual) and my coordination was a little off for a couple months. Some how I stood up abruptly after plugging in my computer, hit my head on a huge glass light fixture, raised my left knee to try to catch it/brace it's fall, the thing shattered creating what could best be described as a razor edged ice cream scoop that took a chunk out of my leg (15 stitches worth). I'm a believer... PAWS...