Notices

Sad :(

Old 08-06-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Sad :(

I just got turned down for a job that I would have been interested in and I am taking it hard. I hate rejection.

I don't know if it's because my open container charge is coming up on my background check or because of my poor work history in recent years.

But I don't know how to overcome that if no one won't give me a chance to create a stronger work history.

I'm just ready to work.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's disappointing and frustrating.

Did you have a lawyer to deal with open container charges? If so, ask the lawyer what will come up when a background check is done. If not, try contacting the police and see if you can find out what information is showing when people check.

Another option would be to contact the employer who turned you down, and be polite, but blunt and ask them to be honest about what caused them to turn you down.

Above all, don't give up.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I ditto Anna's ideas....she typed quicker than I....

UBC....there will be other job options in your sober future.
Perhaps that job was not going to be in your best interest.

Sorry that did not work out...maybe the next will suit you better.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I completed an alcohol program for the open container charge and have the paper work for that, but I never paid the money to the solicitor's office to actually have it removed from my record. I kept putting that off because of no extra money to do it. But I really need to get the money for that and make that top priority.

It's a misdemeanor so I'm sure it is showing up on my record.

Although it seems like a small trivial charge, I am sure it has been impacting the job search.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Another option would be to contact the employer who turned you down, and be polite, but blunt and ask them to be honest about what caused them to turn you down.

^^^This!^^^
Old 08-06-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Anna, BC - ask them.

If it is the misdemeanour, then make removing that your priority - heck make it your priority anyway...the job market is tough enough

D
Old 08-06-2010, 04:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Agree with the others.

Also, sometimes it's just that someone else beat us out for the job. Heck, you get two qualified people, only one position, someone is going to be disappointed.

Once, when I moved to another State, I was stunned to find that in spite of my many years of experience (and this was before my drinking became problematic), I couldn't get hired even at beginner's salary for the kind of job I'd been doing well for many, many years. I still don't know what the problem was, but apparently it just was not to be.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's rough, BC...... I'm praying that something even better comes along for you and that you can get your records taken care of if you have to.

You're doing well and if you can get through this, you'll be stronger and better for it, and sober too!!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Agree with Anna and the others. But here's another suggestion. To tide you over, perhaps you might mention your job finding difficulties at AA meetings and maybe there are some employers with past experience with alcoholism (yes there are some successful folks out there who still go to AA meetings to preserve their sobriety) who can give you (1) advice, and possibly (2) some kind of employment to get things going for you. Hopefully there may be a network of alcoholics in recovery who are ready to help out others in recovery. What could be a better 12th Step than to give someone in the fellowship a job?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have to make something work out this month. I am already panicking about my rent next month. I have so much anxiety over this job thing.

I did a lot of footwork today towards the job search. Got applications in, talked to some people, then went to a meeting.

-Broken
Old 08-07-2010, 12:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What type of job are you applying for BC? I worked in finance and now working for the government and while I don't have any alcohol related charges.....I did have a problem of being arrested when I was underage. It came up 11 years after the fact when I was looking for SEC clearance and my FBI check goes back 12 years. I was able to write a detailed explanation and I did not lose my job.

How long ago was this open container charge? Even though my problem was a misdemeanor and it was supposed to be sealed (I was under 17) yeah the good old background check found it.

Also, what do answer on the apps? If they do a full check....they will find anything within 12 years. Much easier if you know there is fingerprinting or background check to write it out upfront with a detailed explanation. Just my experience.

I person very close to me was convicted of felony and while he lost out on job opportunities....he did get hired when he was upfront and honest in the interview about what happened.

Thinking of you and stay strong. I know what is like to restart and rebuild and yes....you can do it my friend. I say that job probably wasn't meant to be.

Good advice in this thread.